Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Just back from NCL Dream Cruise Southern Itinerary

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 02:15 PM
Tammy

just got back from our cruise and I promised to e-mail someone back about the cruise. I'm sorry I lost your e-mail address all I remember is that you were going in March with your daughter?? Anyone else have questions we'll try to help. We went to Aruba, Curacao, Tortola and St. Thomas.

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 08:21 PM
susan

Tammy-
I am leaving with my boyfriend on the same cruise on 2/27. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Any suggestions on which excursions to take or avoid? What about doing things on your own on the islands? What about your experience on the ship? Right now, we are in a Category E outside deluxe cabin, is an upgrade a good idea and to where? How much in gratuities did you spend? I look forward to hearing what you have to say! Thanks.

Old Feb 13th, 2000, 11:25 AM
Tammy

Susan,
As far as the excursions we didn't take any. We did everything on our own, it was a lot cheaper. If you don't care so much about the expense, make sure you sign up at the excursion desk (7th Floor) right away things filled up quickly. On Aruba we took a taxi to Paradis Island, it's a small island with a deck to lay out on, bathrooms, bar and snorkel rentals. It was nice however, if you want something that your not like sardines you might opt for Palm Beach. The ferry was a 5 or 6 dollar charge. Curacao we took a taxi to the Seaquarium Beach it was nice your boyfriend may enjoy the topless bathers. Not too many, though. There is a cost to get on the beach and chair rental, we took a sheet from home so that's what we used a lot. ($8.00 p/person w/chair) Tortola we took the ferry to Virgin Gorda (don't sit under the bow stay outside if possible) It was a pretty bumpy ride. We went to the Baths it was gorgeous. Once you get to the bottom of the first trail go left through the rocks to Devil's Bay. It's an interesting walk but worth it. Lots of climbing and narrow openings.
And to top off your day stop at Pussers for a Painkiller #4 after you're back on Tortola. St. Thomas is the place to shop and then head off to either Coki Beach, Magens Bay, or Sapphire Beach. If you're intersted take a Ferry to St. John, we didn't get there but Trunk Bay is supposed to be beautiful.
Our experience on the ship was good. The staff didn't seem to be overally friendly but that was fine. The ship was nice, the evening shows were good if you like Broadway type stuff.
Drinks were reasonable especially if you stayed with the drink of the day specials.
As far as upgrading, I think you're fine we were at the bottom of the barrel. 4th Floor which is the bottom of the ship - inside cabin. It was small but we really only slept there so it wasn't a big deal. Friends of ours were on the 8th Floor and it was a little bigger because it had a sitting area and a window was nice too. Well, I hope this answered some of your questions feel free to e-mail me with anymore. Have Fun and Don't forget the Sunscreen you'll be reminded of that everyday from the cruise director.

Old Feb 13th, 2000, 11:32 AM
tammy

Susan,
Gratuities came to about $130.00.
cabin steward is $6.00 per day per couple. Waiter was $6.00 p/day/couple.
Busboy was $3.00 p/day/couple and Maitre'd is optional with $3.00 p/day/couple. Our Maitre'd was a jerk so he recieved $0 day/couple...:0 :0

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 09:14 AM
susan

Tammy,
Thank you so much for your help. I do have a question regarding excursions on your own. How did you do it, where did you go, how did you know where to go and would you suggest being on your own for snorkeling/scuba or are we better off for those trips, doing it through the ship. Of course we would like to limit our expenses but without sacrificing convenience. Thanks

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 06:44 AM
Tammy

Susan:
Before we left I went to the Library and took out the Fodor's book on the Caribbean. I wrote down the Fodor's favorite for each specific island that sounded interesting to us. From there we basically took a taxi which is waiting for cruisers. Each taxi driver knows the hot spots too. Make sure you set a price before you get in the taxi - we had no problems- but I did read in the Fodor's book approximate prices for taxi's to some of the different spots on the islands. We never had any taxi try to get more money so, I think it's a pretty standard rate all around.
As far as snorkel/scuba if you scuba I would recommend taking something through the ship. If you go to www.ncl.com they have a list of the different shore excursions for the Dream. If you want to snorkel there are beaches that have snorkel gear to rent, just ask your taxi driver and they'll tell you. In my post above all the beaches that we went to had snorkel rentals.(except Virgin Gorda) I would say the best snorkeling was at Paradise Island in Aruba, however, the water is shallow and if you are a diver you won't think it's the greatest but it is nice. Great fish!
It's very easy to do things on your own because when you get off the ship there are little "help" booths and they are willing to help you. In fact, if you want a tour of the island people are waiting right there for island tours. Personally, I think the ship excursions are pretty expensive. If something on the shore excursion sounds good to you, you could take that itinerary and ask a taxi to do that for you and they would except, of course, if you want to do the jeep tour they're not going to get you a jeep to rent. Any more questions I'll keep trying to help you out before the big day!! Hope this helps and have a great time!!