Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Just back from Grand Lido Sans Souci....Any questions??

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 03:07 PM
kookers

We've recently returned from a week at Grand Lido Sans Souci in Ocho Rios. I would be happy to share all sorts of tips, information, and stories with whomever might be interested. If you are preparing to book a trip there, or already have done so, just ask and I can tell you what this grand spot is all about!

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 06:46 AM
Susan

I have been to Sans Souci twice but not for a while. I have stayed in both buildings. Is the one on the beach updated? Is the food still great? Were they busy? Thanks so much as I would like to return but only if it is still the same as I have wonderful memories of the Sans Souci.

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 02:50 PM
kookers

Susan, we stayed in the A block of rooms, specifically room A-4. It was large, with a king bed, dresser, etc. in the main room, them had a sitting room with a t.v. with couch and chairs. This opened out to the patio with chairs and a table (ground floor). Our bathroom was very nice with a large jacuzzi tub, dual sinks, stand-up shower with seat...all marble...and a seperate vanity area, too. We had our own mini-bar and fridge, coffee maker. As far as I could tell, Blocks A and B are the new ones, and right where you want to be, steps from the main pool, main beach and watersports, beach bar, action. The food was wonderful; we ate a lot of seafood like lobster, shrimp, fish, all equally yummy. Of course the drinks were free-flowing and our favorites were the rum runner, mango lido, champagne and mimosas, and teriffic red wines from Chile. I would say the resort was 3/4 full. My husband and I have discriminating tastes, and we absolutely loved this week in paradise. The staff was ever-so-friendly, and very solicitous. They were there to help us get our hands on anything wewanted, but were unobtrusive at the same time. We talked to several other guests (couples) there, ages ranging from mid-20s to low-60s. Average age was high 30s, I'd guess. Everyone was loving their vacation, as far as we could tell, and there was so much to do.

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 12:53 PM
Leslie

Hello. My fiance and I are debating between honeymooning at the Grand Lido SS, Braco or the Sandals Dunn's river this Sept. We have read a lot of comments on these resorts and people seem to love them or hate them. The travel agent we spoke with said the grand lidos are overcrowded and full of singles (lots of "overflow from Hedonism resorts") and that the rooms, pools and atmosphere were not as nice as the Dunn's River Sandals. Any thoughts on how you woudl rate the rooms and amenitites at the GLSS overall, were they delapidated (as some suggested to us)? Were the rooms, pool and equipment for water sports in good condition? Were there places where you could sit quietly and enjoy the scenery or is it too crowded for that? Also, how difficult was it getting from the airport to the hotel? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide on any of these questions. Thanks.
Leslie

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 02:41 PM
kookers

Leslie, I have not personally been to the other two resorts, but I have friends who have been to the GL Braco and the SS. They preferred the Sans Souci over Braco for the food, the service, and the overall feling of the resort. They said the Braco property was not lush like the SS is...and you don't get all the free spa treatments at Braco, either.
If you go to SS, ask for a room in either the "A" or "B "block of rooms, as these are the newest on the property. We were in room A-4 and I think it was a suite. Large, ocean-view, marble, sitting room, etc. Both A and B blocks are ocean-view. They are optimally located by the main pool and main beach, and not a far walk to the lobby, spa facilities, or clothing-optional beach. Also, it is quieter here than other areas of the resort, like at night when they do their music and nighlife spotlight shows up by the balloon bar...those rooms would be hard to stay in if you like to retire earlirer in the evening. Activities are planned throughout the day, every day, and you may participate in whichever you choose to, or none at all. The resort seemed to be filled at maybe 3/4 capacity when we were there. We NEVER had any difficulty in finding a private spot to sit and relax, whether it was the clothing optional beach (which was very sparsely populated in the day), by the mineral pool, on a hammock, in one of the many hot tubs, or in a restaurant. The staff was VERY mindful of our desire for privacy, and were there when we needed them and absent when we didn't.
So we did not feel it was overcrowded, and we never waited more than 3 minutes for dinner seating. We found that there were mostly couples there, not singles like you have heard. The atmosphere was incredibly laid back and relaxed, yet elegantly so. My husband and I have travelled extensively, and we would rate this our best Caribbean vacation yet. We felt spoiled, coddled, sunned, massaged, well-fed.
Everything was in good condition, from the mountain bikes to the kayaks and snorkelling gear. THe towels were plentiful and clean, the pools were clean and clear, same with hot tubs, our room was clean, the food was quality, the drinks were not watered down. The bus ride was not unpleasant, but it wasn't extremely fun, either. We were so anxious after our long plane ride to get to our room, that the 2 hour bus ride was hard to bear. But it was air-conditioned and the driver told us Jamaica facts on the way. Hope you find this helpful.