Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Just back from Breezes - Runaway Bay - Questions?!?!? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/just-back-from-breezes-runaway-bay-questions-98228/)

Sheli Jan 2nd, 2001 11:48 AM

Just back from Breezes - Runaway Bay - Questions?!?!?

We had a great time! Jamaica might be considered a dump by some, but we just loved it! Granted, it is obvious that the "haves" have a lot and the "have-nots" don't, but I have found that in most every caribbean country I have been. <BR> <BR>The resort was great and we plan to go back again! We took a day trip to Ocho Rios and climbed the falls...that was great too! Golfing, snorkling, cycling, falls climbing and dancing all in one 5 day vacation...it was excellent. <BR> <BR>Sheli

Bonnie Jan 2nd, 2001 03:03 PM

Hi Sheli, We are taking our daughter and son-in-law there in May as a surprise to her. We have been to Jamaica several times, but not to Breezes. How much was the trip to Dunn's river? Did it take all day. Is there a better room location to request, or are they all similar? What kind of entertainment did they have at night? Did you do any diving? My husband and son-in-law are divers? Thanks for any info. Bonnie

Sheli Jan 3rd, 2001 09:05 AM

Bonnie: <BR> <BR>You will have a great time at Breezes! The excursion to Dunn's River Falls included a shopping trip to Ocho Rios, a ride through Fern Gully and a tour of the Botanical Gardens. It was a grand total of $30.00/pp. (What I thought was an excellent deal!) We also did the "touristy" thing of having our climb up the falls videotaped. The video guy helped us up the falls more than the tour guide! There were 7 in our group...so we thought the tape was an excellent idea and it was only $30 too. (we are planning to make copies for everyone in our group) The trip left the hotel at 9:00am and we returned by 2:00pm. <BR> <BR>From what we could tell most of the rooms were the same. Our group was in three identical rooms all facing the center courtyard. We liked having a ground floor room so we could go in and out the patio doors instead of constantly having to go around to the inside of the hotel and down the hall. <BR> <BR>Nightly entertainment consisted of a nightclub with a singer, live music during dinner, a pj party one night in the disco, a toga party another night. There is a piano bar sing-a-long every night and there was a guest/staff talent show. The only thing we thought it lacked in entertainment was a place where we (as 30yr olds) could dance (the disco was more rap and rock than swing, salsa or samba.) <BR> <BR>Diving: We did not do any diving ourselves, having done that at Key Largo and learning that we would rather stick to snorkeling. There is a reef right in front of the hotel on the beach which you can snorkel around from the beach side or they take you out on a snorkel boat. It looked like the dive boat went out to around the 30-50ft depth area around the beach/reef. You could easily swim from the beach to where the dive boat dropped divers off. They went out at least twice a day...it looked like to the same location. With just snorkeling we saw a lot of neat things...so the dive would be pretty good. I think you could really only do one good day of diving since they don't take you to other locations...it might get boring. <BR> <BR>If you have any other questions let me know. We LOVED it and wished we would have stayed a full week. <BR> <BR>Sheli <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Bonnie Jan 3rd, 2001 02:01 PM

Sheli, Thanks so much for the information. I think we made the right choice. We wanted enough activities to keep everyone happy and it sounds like we did. The trip to Dunn's Falls sounds like a great idea. We got such a good price at this resort we couldn't pass it up. Thanks again, Bonnie

Sam Jan 3rd, 2001 02:28 PM

Rooms on the second floor have balcony. The better price rooms have better view. All suites have ocean view. A suite has the similar size of regular bedroom plus a sitting area with TV and mini fridge. <BR>

Les Jan 15th, 2001 06:33 AM

A question for Sheli: On a recent visit to Jamaica, we took a day trip to the beach adjacent to Breezes in Runaway Bay and took a look at the property. It looks beautiful, but I was wondering if all the rooms face the courtyard? Are there some with private verandahs on the opposite side from the walkways? The beach was lovely and am considering Breezes for a trip with a girlfriend and her children. Thanks in advance.

Anne Jan 16th, 2001 01:09 PM

Sheli, <BR> <BR>How was the beach at the resort? We are thinking about going in April and looking for a good beach this time. <BR>Thanks in advance!

Rich Jan 16th, 2001 02:55 PM

Sheli, Glad you had such a great time. We hope to return there in March or April, having been there in '90. I note some of their PR says they have two pools. When we were there, there was only one. Are there two? Could you give us a report, by private email if you like, regarding the food, rooms, activities, etc. Also, what kind cost was involved. It appears their prices have gone way up since our last stay. I just want to make sure its worth it. Thanks, Rich

Cam Jan 22nd, 2001 05:19 PM

Hi Sheli, <BR>We are thinking of going to Breezes(RB) n Feb. We have never been to Jamaica and have heard that if you go off of the resorts, you can really get hassled by the locals to buy drugs,etc. Jamaica looks beautiful but we just want to relax w/o being hassled. What do you think? Also, how far from a town with nightlife is this resort. <BR>Thanking you in advance!!

Sam Jan 23rd, 2001 02:28 PM

I took the liberty to reply some of the questions: <BR> <BR>&gt;&gt;How was the beach at the resort? &lt;&lt; <BR>The beach is excellent, fine powder sand. Beach is combed constantly. Water is calm owing to the wave breakers about 100 yards from shore. <BR> <BR>&gt;&gt;I was wondering if all the rooms face the courtyard? Are there some with private verandahs on the opposite side from the walkways? &lt;&lt; <BR>There are 3 wings (buildings) running from the lobby to the beach, named 1000, 2000 and 3000. Each wing has rooms on both side. The outside rooms of 1000 and 3000 face the fences that do not have much view. the inside room of 1000 and 3000, and all rooms in 2000 face the garden. Since the wings flare out at the beach, many rooms have partial view of the ocean, especially the second floor. Most rooms are the same size. I didn't see private verandahs. Our second trip we stayed in a suite which is at the end of the wings therefore have full view of the beach. <BR> <BR>&gt;&gt;We have never been to Jamaica and have heard that if you go off of the resorts, you can really get hassled by the locals to buy drugs,etc. &lt;&lt; <BR>There are some hawkers selling various mechandises outside of the resort. They just try to make a living. A simple "No thank you" will do. Drug dealers are rare in Runaway area, at least we never encountered one. We met a few in Montego Bay and Negril. <BR> <BR>&gt;&gt;how far from a town with nightlife is this resort. &lt;&lt; <BR>There are no big towns within miles of the resort. The village of Runaway Bay is a mile west of the resort and is very small. The village of Salem is a mile east of the resort and even smaller. The resort has nightly entertainment.

Sheli Jan 25th, 2001 02:06 PM

Sam: Thanks for the input...you're dead on with the info. <BR> <BR>Lets see if I can add any more stuff. <BR> <BR>ANNE: The beach at the hotel is great and PRIVATE. We visited the small shops on the other side of the property on a beach adjacent to our hotel and the security guy did not see my bracelet and stopped us when we tried to return. I was very impressed that they were watching for guests and non-guests. The beach is very very clean and there was always plenty of chairs and space. <BR> <BR>RICH Number of pools: There is the large pool which is in most of the PR stuff they put out. There is a small lap pool in the lobby, but it is blocked off and really only looks like a fountain pond now. I think they don't want anyone swimming in it. <BR> <BR>The food was good, especially the fruits and veggies. Though I tried the local food, I usually stuck to more american dishes. Their restaurant Martino's was excellent and we would have dined there more often had we known, we waited for the last night to eat dinner there. <BR> <BR>I would say the one thing lacking at this all-inclusive was quality of their wine. We are great lovers of wine and their table wine was not something I was really fond of, even at Martino's. Your choice was Red or White...and knowing that there are a wide spectrum of Reds or Whites, it was disappointing to have a wine that did not go well with any meal. I drink wine for a particular flavor and they treated it like a glass of iced tea. (And not a very good tea at that) <BR> <BR>The rooms were fine by us...we spent more time out of ours than in. Our air conditioner could not keep up with the humidity, so everything we took, whether we wore it or not, was damp when it came home. The service is good though, the hair dryer in our room did not work, we called down to the desk and by 10am they had a new one that worked just fine. <BR> <BR>Incidentally we spent $1500/person which included airfare from St L and airport transfers for 4 nights, 5 days. <BR> <BR>CAM: <BR>You will not be hassled at the resort. The only time I felt like someone was looking for a tip was when our bags were brought to our room. We just smiled and said thank you and closed the door. It stopped any further issues. When we took the day trip to Ocho Rios was when we were open to being hassled. We went to the craft market. You have to be prepared to turn people down and to haggle over prices. I picked up some jewelry, pottery and some other nic-nacs. My husband was approached a number of times to buy ganga (he was also approached by a hotel guest at our resort, which amazed me!) but was firm, they didn't bother him a second time. Just say no thank you and move on. Again, you will be able to relax at the resort and you don't have to leave it if you don't want to! <BR> <BR>I think that is enough...I could go on and on and on...and I have! <BR> <BR>Sheli <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>