Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Just back from Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas, any questions?

Old May 29th, 2001, 11:10 AM
Just back

Title says it all. Stayed 4 nights in the Royal Towers. Went with whole family, ages 10 through 79. Ask away. . . . .

Old May 29th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Greg

We are going to Atlantis in early July. Is it a problem eating at one of the gourmet restaurants without a reservation. If so, do you know how far in advance you need one?

Old May 29th, 2001, 02:24 PM
Gail

Have been to Atlantis several times over July 4. The first time we called a few weeks in advance and made reservations. On subsequent trips we waited until we got there and made all our dinner reservations the first day. We never had a problem getting what we wanted.

Old May 29th, 2001, 02:37 PM
just back

Can't speak for July, maybe Gail is right or maybe she got lucky. . . . but my advice is to make those resos now, especially if you are going to be more than 2 people. The gourmet restaurants were all crowded during peak hours and my party of 12, (two nights we split 6 and 6 and two nights we got a full 12) always had to wait a bit, never more than 15 minutes, and that's with reservations.

Old May 29th, 2001, 04:33 PM
mango

We are going in early July too. Did you use any of the childcare options? What was the best thing about Atlantis? Did you see the Jimmy Buffet show or go to the Comedy Club? Which restaurants did you try? Thanks!

Old May 29th, 2001, 06:34 PM
Beth

Hi Just-Back!
Did any of your party visit Club Rush for teens? Was it well supervised?
How was the 7 acre snorkeling lagoon? Were there any sharks or stingrays in there? Was there a charge to use it if you bring your own snorkel stuff? Do you think the Royal Towers were worth the extra money? Or would the Coral Towers be just as nice? Anything we should put on our to-do list as a must-not-miss?
Thanks for your offer of input! I'll look forward to your replies!

Old May 30th, 2001, 06:15 AM
just back

Ok, let's get on some of these questions:
We did not use the childcare options, our youngest was 10 (maybe 11?) and he was content to swim and waterslide all day (usually with his older brother) and then crash in the room after dinner.

Restaurants:
Bahamian Club - absolutely fantastic! nice atmosphere, great steaks and fish, I am a lover of Caesar salads and this was one of the best ever
5 Twins - My favorite from my last stay but very disapointing this time. No one had a good meal - my duck tasted like crap
VillaD'est - very good italian. nice menu. we had 3 send back oso buco for being tough, but my sea bass was awsome!
Dunes - unreal view and ambiance. NOT FOR KIDS, the menu is unusual but the food was delicious. service was slow.
Overall the meals were very good and the wait staff was extremely nice and accomidating. The prices may give you an stroke, be warned.

As for lunch - didn't like the Great Hall of Waters, it was very overpriced and everything was mediocre. Atlas Bar and Grille was delicious, and the back room and outside terrace have great views of the harbor, plus it's really close to the ice cream shop for dessert! With kids you're probably better off staying outside and getting burgers/hot dogs.

I'll be back. . . .

Old May 30th, 2001, 10:08 AM
lorraine

My family and I went to Atlantis-December of 1999. The food was terrible.
We could not get any reservations at any restaurant till 9pm. We stayed in the royal towers which was very noisy. You can stay at the beach towers (least expensive) and still have a lovely qiuet vacation and walk to where the action is.The pools are more quiet at the beach towers too and its where the tube ride is.

Old May 30th, 2001, 10:47 AM
just back

Ok, I'm back:
I can't really respond to Lorraine because she wasn't specific enough, but I can say that I was there for 5 days and 4 nights this past weekend. That comes to 12 meals, and the only one that even came close to being "terrible" was a near-raw, mushy burger at the Great Hall of Waters on the first day. As for the noise, I had a Royal Tower, east wing, 9th floor, harborview, and except for the occasional loud talker walking down the hall, I never heard anyone. Of course the pool areas are going to be noisy, it's a family-oriented resort! If you want quiet, go take a walk on the beach or go to the ocean club.

As for the rest of the questions:
I didn't see any rooms except for those in the Royal Towers, so I can't comment on how wise a choice it would be to stay in the beach or coral towers. I can say that the exteriors as well as the lobbies and public areas are noticeably inferior in the beach and coral as compared to the Royal Towers.

The 17 year-old ventured into the teen club, but he didn't stay long because he was the oldest one there. It seems that the club is really for young teens, 12-15, as the 16 through 18 year olds are too busy trying to gamble and/or drink without getting caught. I can't speak as to supervision.

Didn't see the show and heard the comedians were so-so. My understanding was that the comedy was for the masses, including younger ears, so it was too tame for many.

If you are a golfer, don't miss the Ocean Club course. It is beautiful, in perfect condition and the staff was wonderful. Don't know anything about bringing your own snorkeling equipment, but the sharks and rays are EVERYWHERE!
My biggest piece of advice is to walk everywhere. If there is a path that you haven't ventured down, go check it out. There are underground caverns, lagoons, fountains, brigdes and much more that you'll never see unless you venture all around. We never would have found the underwater tunnel and sawtooth shark habitat if someone hadn't said, 'hey, what's down here?'

Old May 30th, 2001, 03:03 PM
Gail

We have always stayed in the Coral Towers. We like it's central location. The Beach Tower was just renovated. A friend of mine just stayed there and liked it. Said they'd rather spend the extra money on food than a room. I have to agree with Just Back--we have always had VERY good food at all the restaurants. We love to have lunch outside at the Lagoon Bar and Grille. Yummy sandwiches at reasonable prices==and then there's the view.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 08:22 AM
Kathy Goerke

Would like to visit this resort, but my husband and I have 3 kids, and they want us to take 2 rooms - yikes! The rate they quoted me was really high because of this. Any ideas on how to get around it. They won't let me put a rollaway in the room for the 3rd child. Would appreciate any input if you have any. Thanks.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 09:18 AM
huh?

I'm a little confused Kathy, are you saying that you want one room for yourself, your spouse or significant other, and 3 kids? 5 people? I don't know any hotel/resort that would allow this.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 10:38 AM
mango

Kathy-

The Atlantis hotels will not allow 5 to a room, but you can see if the Harborside Resort will allow this. Harborside is part of Atlantis, right next to the marina. They sell time shares for it, but you can also rent a room there. They have some 2 bedroom "villas" so they may be more flexible. Good luck!

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 10:37 AM
Mike

Just Back, we are going to Atlantis @ the end of Aug! We want a direct oceanfront (not just oceanview) suite
(i.e., bedroom & separate living room w/ sofa bed). Which tower is closest to beach? Thanks!

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 06:01 PM
denise

Dear Just Back, My husband and I are going in 10 days and staying at the Clarion Resort ... mainly for the golf. Do you have any opinion of this property?
Denise

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 07:59 PM
going soon

We are going first of July to Atlantis, staying in the Coral Tower. We will have 3 adults, 2 14yr. olds and a 11 yr. old. We can't dedcide if we should do a meal plan, as we really don't want to dress up for dinner. Our children would like to wear kahki shorts and golf shorts. Aren't most of the restaurants dressy than this? Can anybody recommend any nice places for dinner on the island were resort casual is acceptable? Also has anybody done any diving here and who do you recommend we dive with--would like to keep to a small dive group. Thanks for any help you may have

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 05:02 AM
Gail

We have been to Atlantis both with and without the gourmet meal plan. We are just two adults. We found it cost us LESS WITHOUT the gourmet meal plan. With children it might be a different story. Remember the price of the meal plan does NOT include the tax or mandatory tip they add in. That will be above the cost of the meal plan. Right at the Atlantis you can eat for a resonable price at Murray's Deli and the Atlas Grille. Across the street in Anthony's Caribbean Grille. Down the street at the Hurrican Hole Shopping Center if the Blue Marlin. You don't have to dress up for any of these restaurants. The "gourmet" restaurants at the ATlantis say no shorts for diner, but I have seen people come in wearing shorts.