We just returned from a dive trip to Dominica. There is such wealth of info-lol- about Dominica I thought I'd write a few words. Took 2 days to get there from Chicago- had to overnight in San Juan. Then a prop to the island. Nice green hills to fly over on approach. Then a 1.5 hour ride to Roseau where we stayed at Castle Comfort Dive Lodge. The ride was nice- through mountainous roads kissing the clouds, past green hills, banana fields, small towns and villages. Beautiful plants and flowers were everywhere. Then a view of the Caribbean Sea as you approach Roseau- where it is much warmer than in the mountains. Narrow, crowded streets are the norm here, with Dominicans filling the air with the sounds of their particular patois. If you listen closely you can hear some pure French. Castle comfort was a delight. We were treated royally. Very nice staff, excellent food for breakfast and dinner. I mentioned that I was on the lookout for some good callaloo and voila! - they prepared it 2 nights out of the 10 we were there. The diving was great- some of the healthiest coral we have ever seen. The conditions were right, so one time we were taken to a site called Des Fous-surge and current but a blast. The day trips on the island are nice- we went to Titou Gorge and Tralalger Falls. Took a bus to Scott's Head, where I snorkeled and we climbed to the top of the hill there. The USD = 2.67 Eastern Caribbean dollars so it was economical- much more than the Cayman Islands. It is a poor country with undeveloped areas but the people are really friendly. The water is fine to drink, the buses cost 1-3 ECD, you can buy alot of spices there. It is a World Heritage site and there is a team of Peace Corps workers there.
Just passing along some info because it was really hard for us to find any here on this forum.
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 BROTHER printer 1:800:681:7208 contact installations brother Tec*h care vk
- 2 Hilton Aruba
- 3 Immigration experience entering USA from Cuba non us citizen
- 4 Jamaica Inn in late April
- 5 Jamaica or Dominican Republic?
- 6 Shuttle From Airport (Hewanora) to Bay Gardens Beach Resort In St. Lucia
- 7 Which Island to visit
- 8 Cuba solo mid December-need your help please
- 9 Romantic Barbados vacation
- 10 First week in April : NYC to beach, all inclusive
- 11 Want to buy cigars in Havana
- 12 Anyone go to Grace Bay TCI over Thanksgiving?
- 13 Taking Items to Cuba
- 14 Moving... Crohn's disease?
- 15 Bermuda Restaurants
- 16 Nevis Nice - Trip Report
- 17 Barbados: Turtle Beach vs. Bougainvillea
- 18 Christmas vacation
- 19 Spring Trip with 7 & 5 y/o
- 20 SWIMMING AND FOOD...WHICH ISLAND TO CHOOSE?
- 21 Southern Caribbean Getaway Advice
- 22 Aruba All Inclusive vs. Not
- 23 NYE in Punta Cana
- 24 Chacchoben Ruins, The Real Thing?
- 25 Bicycle Ride in Ocho Rios