Just back from 6 days in T &C

Sep 1st, 2004, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Just back from 6 days in T &C

Luckily, we were scheduled to return yesterday. It was one of the last flights out before all the other flights were cancelled. Looks like the hurricaine is going to hit T & C straight on. When we left, they were getting ready. We had a great time, if not for the worry about getting out in time. We consider ourselves very very lucky.
We stayed at the Royal West Indies, which I would highly recommend. Although not cheap, the place is well run and immaculate. We had an ocean front room on the first floor, but the view was partially blocked by dunes. However, it was nice to walk right out the door onto the beach. I think any room would be fine on the property. The only "negative" was the on-site restaurant, Mango Grove (??). Not very good and expensive. After one lunch and one breakfast, we figured out not to eat there. We had a one bedroom and it was plenty big. The best part was the kitchen. We loaded up on supplies at the supermarket and were able to eat breakfast in every day (came with coffee maker and coffee) and we ate dinner home one night when we were wiped out from the sun and surf. I would recommend renting a car as the car is $50 per day and it cost $20 for 2 people to get a shuttle back and forth to grocery store plus if you take cabs to restaurants, it starts to add up. If you are going to snorkel, you definitely need a car to get to the beaches where snorkeling is good. We rented one for 3 days, wound up keeping it for 4. We used Budget, and they delivered the car and picked it up without any extra fee. We ate in a few restaurants, the best being Bugaloos on the beach (only serves conch, but really great!) and Anacaona at the Grace Bay Club (great atmosphere but expensive). We also liked the Tiki Hut at Turtle Bay for value and friendliness, although we found everyone extremely friendly. We also had a good meal at the Aqua Bar at Turtle Bay. I would not bother with Caicos Cafe. It was expensive and filled with mosquitos. We found that the bugs were less offensive at restaurants that were near the water and afforded a breeze, which the Caicos cafe is not. It is within walking distance of RWI, but expensive and not worth it. Again, this is where a car pays for itself. We used J & B tours for a half day native tour which included snorkeling off the boat, diving for conch, and then the crew brought us to an island where they made us conch salad. It was fun, but snorkeling was not great. The best snorkeling was at Smith's Reef. It is an incredible reef you can get to right off the beach. We also snorkeled at Coral Gardens twice, but found Smith's Reef to be better.
Sep 2nd, 2004, 03:54 AM

Thanks for the report...

I had read mixed reviews on the Caicos Cafe before we went, so we ended up at other places. From RWI the Coco Bistro is an even shorter walk, and if you're not there when the mosquitos are out, a very nice place.

We ate at the Mango Grove twice. One lunch when we first got to the resort, and one dinner. I thought the food was good if you didn't feel like traveling, but there were better options elsewhere.

We also made good use of the kitchen, making most of our breakfasts and lunches there, then heading out for dinners.

We hadn't rented a car last time, but we will for a few days the next time, so its easier to get to the beach accessible snorkeling. You *can* walk to Coral Gardens from RWI, but its a hike.

I sure hope they weathered Frances without too much damage. There isn't that much elevation on that part of the island.

Thanks for the tips... We're planning on heading back in the spring and can always use good advice.

Ken

Search this Thread