June-July Jamaica Silver Sands and Mandeville

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

June-July Jamaica Silver Sands and Mandeville

Hello! I have been enjoying all the posts and trying to inform myself about Jamaica. I always wanted to go to Jamacia because my grandmother was from Mandeville but never told us. I know I have some relatives there and I think the house she grew up in is still there. I am considering going this summer-late June /early July and spending a week at Silver Sands with my husband and six year old. I know this is the off season but is the weather extremely hot/humid? Would we need air conditioning- I'm from Kentucky and rarely use it at home. Does anyone know much about Mandeville and how far it is from Silver Sands? My guess is about an hour. I was thinking of spending the a night there if anyone can reccomend a place to stay and a way to get there. Thanks for your help! Holly
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:49 AM

You'll appreciate a/c bedrooms in summer and many villas at Silver Sands have them tho the heat is generally drier,low 90s for the highs, low 80s
at night. Plan on a good 2 hours to
go to Mandeville since you're taking
twisty mountain roads and distances in Jamaica are always far far greater than what they look like on a map. Mandeville's a tough place to find interesting accomodations, even tho
Jamaica's first hotels opened here in the late 19th cen. For something different, Ann Sutton (Jamaica's foremost ornithologist) has guest accomodations/touring at Marshall Pen Great House, a real great house, just outside the city. In town, Astra Hotel
and a few others, largely lodging for
bauxite industry consultants --and nothing to write home about.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:13 AM

....just to add, I doubt you'd need AC in Mandeville as the climate is considerably cooler than by the coast. That's one reason it's popular iwth retirees/J'can returnees.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the information. I like the idea of Marshall Penn. We really enjoy nature and beautiful birds. Is it very hard to find a driver to take us there and would that be the way to ys falls?
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:22 AM

Billy Taylor or another driver from Silver Sands can be hired for the trip.