Jumby Bay Trip Report (April 1-6) Cont.

Apr 11th, 2005, 11:08 AM
MLT
Original Poster

Jumby Bay Trip Report (April 1-6) Cont.

Dining: This was my first time at an all-inclusive, and I was wary of the food as I’ve heard that food at AIs can be mediocre at best. We like variety and usually prefer trying different local restaurants, but for the amount of time we were there it worked out fine. Food at Jumby is very good, but not stellar. The best food I’ve had in the Caribbean was in the Grand Case area of St. Martin. Jumby’s food can’t compete with that of Grand Case, but I knew this coming in (thanks to Penny) so I wasn’t disappointed. Plus food was only one of the major considerations for our trip. In other areas Jumby faired much better.

Breakfast and lunch were some of my favorite meals at Jumby. In addition to a buffet, there’s an a la carte menu with some nice selections. Our favorite dishes at breakfast were the eggs benedict (with ham or smoked salmon) and the Belgian waffles. However, the fruit at breakfast was a bit of a disappointment. Being on a tropical island, I had expected better quality and selection. The buffet at lunch was more impressive than at breakfast, with a variety of fresh salads, grilled chicken, cold soups and different meats at the carving station each day – roast beef with Yorkshire pudding, leg of lamb, barbecued ribs. On most days, I ordered the fresh catch of the day which was very good, except for one time when it was overcooked. We also thought the Cuban Ruben, fries with garlic aioli, and fried peppered calamari were quite good.

Afternoon Tea on the Verandah was nice, especially as my son has to eat many small meals during the day. The scones and carrot cake were particularly yummy. It was too warm to have hot tea in the afternoon, so we usually had iced tea or some other cold drink.

Dinner at the Estate House was lovely with palms swaying in the breeze, jazz music in the background and casual-elegant ambiance. Fish dishes were excellent including the sautéed sea bass and crispy pink snapper. Meat dishes like rack of veal and lamb were also good, but the duck was overcooked. Desserts were great – the pastry chef takes you on a “tour” of their dessert buffet which included items like almond/milk chocolate crème brulee and pistachio/passionate fruit mousse cake. Dinner on the Verandah was pretty good, but not as good as at the Estate House. And the Sunday night beach BBQ was just okay, though it was a nice change of pace. (To Be Continued)
Apr 11th, 2005, 11:15 AM
MLT
Original Poster

Oops. Just ignore this message. I realized I should have just replied to my original post after I sent this one out.

Search this Thread