Search

Jumby Bay Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jumby Bay Trip Report

We just returned from a glorious week in Jumby Bay. What can I say about a place so close to paradise? I’ll try to be as specific as possible to help others considering a trip.

Arriving at JB is wonderful, because you get through the airport very quickly (though it appears chaotic at first) and are taken on a very short (5 minutes) taxi ride to the dock, where you are greeted and transported (with rum punch in hand) to the island (8 mins. by boat.) Once there, we were brought to our rooms by golf cart.

The rooms (formerly called rondavels) were a bit disappointing; the octagonal shape was a bit awkward, the rooms (we had a bedroom and adjoining sitting room) somewhat dark, and although the bathroom was lovely, it was a bit odd to have both a beautifully-tiled indoor shower and a private, enclosed outdoor shower, but no bath.

We immediately headed down to the lovely beach. It is quite spectacular, a perfect crescent, with lovely clear water (some seagrass on the sea floor, but you could easily avoid it) and calm surface. The beach has some pretty shells for collecting, and though not a snorkeling spot of note, we enjoyed looking for the huge starfish that were plentiful on the ocean floor.

Meals were excellent (we live in NYC and have high standards.) I expected to get bored with only two restaurants for an entire week, but we found the quality and variety to be very high. One disappointment: the Sunday night barbeque was mediocre. We had lovely meals at the Estate House as well as the Verandah.

Service was superior to any other resort we’ve stayed in (Sandy Lane, Cap Juluca, Mali, Four Seasons (Nevis) Ritz-Carleton (St. Thomas)) with one exception: daytime housekeeping was spotty and late. In every other respect though, all staff were extremely gracious, accommodating and thoroughly expert. Everyone smiled and waved as we rode our bikes around, the beach bar staff were aware of our wants/needs before we were, and every member of the staff made a point to get to know us a bit, and remembered our preferences. (BTW, we were there with kids, and the resort was very welcoming, even at the Estate House.)

The pool was lovely, though we didn’t go in once – the beach was too enticing. We went on the Friday sunset cruise and had a great time, and the fact that everything was included in one price made it all easier to swallow! We also appreciated the diversity of the resort’s guests. Most were European (mainly Brits and Italians) and we never overheard business conversations on the cellphones that are ubiquitous at most resorts.

However, there were a few disappointments. Others have commented on the fact that the beach is directly across from the airport. This was not generally a problem, but about three times per day a really loud jet flew directly overhead, and it did mar the illusion of paradise a bit. Also, we found the fitness room barely adequate. More importantly for us though, was that we missed not having a room directly on the beach. It’s not the fact that we had to walk a bit that was the problem, but rather the fact that you couldn’t just take a few steps to get out of the sun at the hottest part of the day, take a quick nap, etc. (The beach has thatched jalapa coverings, but the reflected heat off sand and water made us want to move away from about 11 am till 3.) Also, late in the day, when you want to sip a rum punch on your patio and watch the sunset, being away from the beach meant the bugs were out, and even the strong tradewind didn’t keep them at bay. At night the rooms felt stuffy, and we definitely needed the A/C.

So, all in all we give the resort a 10 out of 10 in almost every category. The jury is out, however, on whether the room on the beach trumps everything else. If it doesn’t, we will run back to Jumby Bay. If it does, I think Cap Juluca will be in our future.

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 02:37 PM

Thank you very much for the very helpful trip report. This is a resort on my wish list--although I am so hooked on a beachfront room as well. Our room last year at CJ a dream come true! Thanks for taking the time to report, Carol
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 03:35 AM

Thanks a lot for this great trip report. I'm going there in May for the first time and will also be staying in a Rondavel room. Unfortunately, you don't seem too excited by the room. We chose the Rondavel as these rooms should have the best airco.

Just one question. Is it necessary to make reservations in the restaurants? For instance, if we want an out outside table at the Estate House.

Thanks in advance

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 05:12 AM

Interesting trip report! I love Jumby-
the service and ambiance make up for non beach front rooms. Great report.

I do wish they would improve on the a/c--in some cases its just installing a higher BTU unit-never have the a/c problems at Caneel-they converted older rooms to the Sanyo wall unit type too!

I had to smile about your description of the interior shower-this was the main shower before the outdoor shower was added.

As far as dinner reservations the efficient morning Veranda staff will always inquire about your dining time.
Once you get to The Estate House the staff will be very accomodating--not to worry. Service is what Jumby is all about!
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 06:04 AM

I loved my Roundavel room. There was an unobstructed view from my wrap around veranda with comfy lounge chairs for relaxing. The room had a large four poster bed surrounded by netting which gave me a room within a room feel. Additional furniture were rich mahogany pieces with two massive wardobes. One could well imagine the life of a walthy plantation owner. The dressing area included two large vanities with on the top round water basins, which added tothe 'period'decor.

Two of the walls are end to end floor to ceiling windows which are covered with shutters for privacy. I opened them each morning to enjoy the beautiful view, and they were discretely closed with turn-down service for ultimate privacy. As a result, I never felt my room to be dark. Too the contrary, it was very special and inviting. It was a trip back to another era, but with all the modern conveniences.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:19 AM

This trip report so made me want to go! And I'm so envious of your roster of previous resorts!

Which was your favorite resort, and which was your favorite island, of all the places you've visited?

How old are your children? What sort of accommodations work best for familes at both Cap and Jumby? Were there any tourist activities (old forts to explore, shopping, etc) to keep them busy, or do they enjoying vegging at the beach?

Could you give a bit more detailed info regarding the "lovely" pool? Would it have been possible to get out of the sun, yet stay poolside?

Thanks again for taking the time to post your excellent report. I'll look forward to reading further!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Dreamer:
We have been happy at every resort I mentioned; they are all lovely. Barbados is, I think, the most interesting island, because there are wonderful excursions from a history and nature perspective, but now that my kids are getting older (15 and 7) they are qite happy to swim, read (well, the older one!) and play on the beach.

The pool at Jumby has tented lounge chairs to keep you out of the sun. It is surroundeed by beautiful foliage, but is too deep for my little one, and there is no kiddie pool. We walked by the pool several times, but never saw anyone there.

Our rooms were quite nice for a family our size - the kids were in a separate, connecting room. At Cap Juluca we had junior suites until the little one got too big to share our bed, so it is patio suites now. Jumby, IMO, is a better value for a family than CJ, but again, your vacation all depends on what will make you happiest.

Diane: We kept our louvers shut most of the time to try to keep in the cool, but beyond that, the louvers in our room opened out onto a shaded porch, so our room was dark even when they were open.

I wish we could be like Penny, and go to both CJ and Jumby each year - but we're not that lucky!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 06:33 AM

That's a great report. We went to Jumby Bay 8 years ago, just before the mess up and the closing. It's good to read it's doing well. I loved the beach and the starfish.
Would it be fun for a 13 yr old boy?

And can you compare it to Malliouhana, which is where we moved on to, and love.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

I think a 13 year old boy who was pretty self-sufficient would love Jumby, because you can give kids lots of freedom to roam the resort (my kids loved riding the bikes around the property, climbing the Sugar Mill tower, roaming Pasture Beach.) There were not a lot of kids in that age group while we were there.

As for Mali, we loved it, but again, prefer a room directly on the beach. The playground is great for the younger kids, but I expect yours has long outgrown it, and I don't believe Mali has much to offer that age group (although it does have that beautiful pool, in addition to a beautiful beach.)
Hope that helps.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 02:46 PM

I find this forum to be so interesting. My husband and I have been traveling the caribbean since about 1980. I was fortunate enough to visit all the small places that fascinated me. For now I am a frequent visiter to Anguilla and Malli...also St Barts..PSV and now plan to revisit Jumby Bay after about 18 years...We were there in the beginning..1987.1988.1989.and 1990...Am looking looking foward to going back in November..I find it so interesting that many people on this forum seem to visit the same places that I love. Does anyone know the manager at Jumby and if it is Peter is he still married to Kathy? Also I am choosing to stay in an oceanview suite...the one bedroom suite is the same price in November but more expensive the rest of the year...WHY?...and am I picking the right room? Thank you all for making me smile when I think of the wonderful islands.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 11:10 AM
MLT

Nice Trip Report. I just returned late last night from Jumby Bay myself. We arrived there on 4/1, so we must have just missed island1856.

Still trying to get sorted out from traveling with a toddler, so I probably won't get a trip report out until this weekend. But I just want to let everyone know we had a great time, and give a big "THANKS" to Penny and others on this forum for their useful information on Jumby.

Looking forward to sharing our experience with all you Fodorites out there.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 12:07 PM

Are there specific room numbers to request. I have found that if I give 3-4 a few weeks in advance I get one, especially at PSV.
We are in our very early 60's with our children on there own for some time now. In April other than school holidays will I find a number of chilren 3-8 years old at Jumby?
Also, in dining room we like eating at 7:30-7:45 will toddlers be with their parents at that hour?
I love kids, especially my grandson but not on vacation.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

I'd be surprised if you found many kids at JB, but there are some schools with April holiday weeks. We always ate at 7:30 with our kids; the restaurants don't open much before then, so if kids are around, you are likely to see them, but less so at the Estate House.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 06:00 AM

Oldtimer---Peter Bowlings is doing an excellent job at Jumby! I have met his charming wife Kathy a few times. So you were there when Jumby was the best! Thats what everyone tells me. I know some of the staff Peter recently hired had been there at that time--Diana does that name ring a bell. She use to run
The Veranda with Genny--she now does the meet and greet at the mainland dock.

I have never seen the one bedroom suites, I think there are 2 both on the lower floor of the Pond House.

Since you were there quite a few years ago--you will find there are lot more
private homes. Hard to believe but all of the waterfront lots have been built!
Stunning homes-gardens.

I am sure you will have a great trip in November.