Jumby Bay/Pond Bay Rooms/Boat Shuttle?'s

Old Aug 4th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jumby Bay/Pond Bay Rooms/Boat Shuttle?'s

Well, there has been so much recent discussion on this board about Jumby Bay that I am considering it for a future trip. We previously had ruled Antigua out as a destination as my husband is an avid golfer and we'd heard Antigua's golf is only mediocre. But I really want to go to Jumby Bay, so I am trying to find out it the golf issue is workable and would like more information about the boat shuttle from you Jumby Bay experts. How often does the boat shuttle go to the mainland? Does it run all day? How long is the boat trip from JB? Where does the boat dock on Antigua? And does anyone know about how far the golf courses are from where the boat lands? Basically I am trying to find out if golf every day would be possible for my husband or if it would be too much of a hassle. I am a non-golfer who just wants a wonderful resort, good food and a beautiful beach.

Also, can anyone comment about the Pond Bay Rooms? (any higher category is really getting out of our price range)I was told by a reservationist that they are 330 square feet which seems very small -- since our last vacation was in a 900 square foot suite I am concerned about the size. We don't spend tons of time in our room but don't want a shoebox either. Did the room seem spacious? Were the ceilings high? How was the A/C?

Any insight would be appreciated as all the positive reports have really got me interested and I think the Rosewood management can only improve things because they are a class act. Thanks!
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 08:05 AM

Not sure if the golf issue is workable, I think the course is on the other side of the island. The Jumby Bay Catamaran runs hourly, from early morning to late at night, 12 midnight. The trip is about 8 minutes, and the hotel can arrange a taxi. Long Island-Jumby is accross from the airport.

I viewed a room in The PondHouse, very nice, 4 poster bed, balcony or terrace,
great views. The tower room I think has high ceilings. Now about the a/c-it really needs to improve. It really needs improving in the courtyard suites, if you like in very cool, it will not happen! Not sure how cool it gets in Pond House rooms. There are overhead fans too, but it needs improvement.
The hotel has always had excellent service, and I hope the Rosewood team improves the air conditioning. I think someone metnioned the coolest room is the very tiny computer room, the size of a closet off the main building. BTW
alot of the million dollar plus homes on this private island, have no a/c!
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! Can you tell me where on Antigua the boat docks? Is it downtown or near the airport or some other location?
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 10:34 AM

Eileen, the boat docks about 5 minutes from the airport, area near Beachcomber Hotel.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 01:39 PM

Hi Penny. I too am curious about the Pond Bay rooms. I've heard that they are really the only ones with a nice view (important), but are they very small? I'd like to have some room to move about! And to other Pond Bay room dwellers, how was the air in those rooms? Since they're smaller, maybe it's not too bad?

Is the dock close to downtown and shops? How much are siteseeing excursions? And my final question is...what's the bug situation on Jumby? Spiders, waterbugs, millipedes all give me the ill feeling. Will I see a whole lot of them down there?

Counting the days until my honeymoon...

D

ps. Penny, between your posts here and on Carib-online, I feel like I know you!
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 04:38 PM

The shuttle leaves hourly but staff will launch it for you anytime you request.
It lands at a small dock straight across the sound between Jumby Bay (also known as Long Island) and the mainland.

There are at least two public golf courses on Antigua: Cedar Valley and Jolly Harbor (both on the west=opposite side of the island).
The distance from the dock to St. John's (where Cedar Valley is located) is 5 miles.
The Jolly Harbor course is the better of the two. It's another 5 miles past St. John's.
The trip from Jumby Bay to the farthest course would probably take 40-50 minutes total if the cab was waiting for you at the dock.

I'm not sure who said only the Pond Bay rooms had views. All the rooms have unobstructed views, and I can't recall any which didn't have at least some view of the water. The Pond Bay House is 2 stories and all other rooms are on the ground. So it is true that the 2nd floor PBH rooms have the best views.
PBH rooms have high ceilings (as do all rooms at Jumby Bay). Whether the extra space is worth extra $$ is a personal thing.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 09:21 PM

On several visits to Jumby prior to the a/cing of the rooms, I was never uncomfortable in the Pond Bay House rooms with the ceiling fans but it was always in midWinter when we visited. Each room in the L shaped Pond Bay House has a view of the water but there are some that sit up and back further from the water (towards Ken Follet's tennis court - I believe they are numbered in the 40's). They are not huge but imo very comfortable but the ideal room is the corner upstairs room and it is the most requested room at Jumby (might be 32 or 36, don't remember). They are not as spacious as what are referred to as the court yard rooms now (right, Penny?) - those low numbers in the 20's that are the duplexes and face the beach and water directly. If I remember correctly it was rooms 5 and 6 of the roundels that provided the best view of the water. Would have to dig out the map to confirm room numbers assuming they are unchanged.