Jumby Bay clothing suggestions

Mar 7th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Jumby Bay clothing suggestions

I have noted several posts re: Jumby Bay. My husband and I are booked to go there this week. How dressy do the female guests get for dinner? The resort website states "cocktail attire". Do the women wear dressy pants and skirts? Mostly white or black? Would I be comfortable in a nice pair of white pants with a cute colored top?
Please advise.
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:30 AM

Ah, clothing questions! I just love 'em!

Jumby Bay is one of those very nice resorts where there will be people wafting around looking like they just stepped out of a St John catalog, and nearly everyone will be wearing what is known as "resort wear."

Firstly, plan on taking items in silk, linen and lightweight cotton.

The first couple of times I went to the Caribbean, almost all of my clothes were not natural fabrics, and I was way too warm.

For cool evenings, a sleeveless tank or shell and a light sweater work nicely.

If their website says cocktail attire for dinner, then I would pack mostly separates like silk tops and pants or skirts that you will be comfortable in.

I have stayed at some very nice resorts in the Caribbean and to me cocktail attire is not a cocktail dress (beaded, tea length, etc.) in that region.

Almost all of my clothes are black, so it has been hard for me to break free from the "little black dress" look for dinner.

Bottom line, I think that you would be fine in a tasteful silk sundress with dressy sandals - things along those lines - maybe even silk capris with a silk or linen shell.

Maybe someone who has stayed there can give you more info, but the above worked for me at Four Seasons Nevis and Jamaica Inn and some other places that seem to be on the dressy side, so I think you would be fine with what you are talking about taking.

(Be sure your husband has slacks, collared shirts - not polos - and at least one jacket. Wouldn't hurt to take a tie just in case.)

For some reason, the later it gets past Christmas and "high season," the less stringent the dress code gets.

Have a great time!
Mar 8th, 2005, 04:22 AM

Diana has given you fantastic advice.
The only suggestion I can add is skip the tie--never saw one at Jumby. Also during the high season you will have 2 dining options-The Estate House and the more casual Veranda, where at night the new patio is at the sands edge! My husband will wear his Bermuda shorts at this location--most men wear long pants.

Long pants are required at The Estate House, also a Rosewood rule, men cannot wear sandals. Yes he also brings his blazer--you might see a few, but its not the norm.
I wear longer silk or linen skirts at night, some wear pants. All colors work. Black, white and bright colors! Like you Diana I do have lots of black. I even bring my little heels here!

Have a great time

Mar 10th, 2005, 05:22 AM

YES!Lets all go on holiday and make sure we go somewhere we have to wear a coat and tie! Oh yes what fun that will be.
Mar 10th, 2005, 06:46 AM

Curt - news flash, honey!

Some people (gasp) LIKE to get dressed up on their vacations.

That's the WONDERFUL thing about paying for your own vacation and picking where YOU want to go.
Mar 10th, 2005, 07:24 AM

Once again Diana you said it so well!
I have to say I just love some of the elegant couples at Caneel, Jumby who look outstanding. Some may be elegantly casual at the resorts--but they do now how to dress for British Airways-searsucker jacket, bow tie, sipping their gin and tonics to fly first class back home~