Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   july want snorkeling from beach (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/july-want-snorkeling-from-beach-686945/)

3teenmemory Mar 11th, 2007 04:20 PM

july want snorkeling from beach

where is good place for snorkeling from a beach?have 3 teens to entertain daily-going somewhere in Caribbean mid July

girlonthego Mar 11th, 2007 06:41 PM

Just replied to a similar request above. For a vacation with teens, look at Grand Cayman. There are many hotels/condo options. We are taking our young teens there this June. It has snorkeling right from the beach, plus I think there is enough action for the kids (watersports availability).

Pirate_50 Mar 11th, 2007 07:40 PM

I'd go to St. Thomas- it has some great places to stay, even better places to snorkel, and you can hop a water taxi to Tortola or Virgin Gorda for about $40 round trip. It's a great price for being able to see a foreign country and snorkel places like The Baths.

cawhite Mar 11th, 2007 08:23 PM

Hi Pirate 50 - Since you're recommending St. Thomas, it would be great to hear some of your recommendations for the island.

Our family is also going to STT this summer with teens. Do you have any specific recommendations you have for snorkeling locations and fun, casual restaurants that teens, as well as adults, would like?

Thanks!

virginia Mar 12th, 2007 04:22 AM

on st. thomas with teens i would consider staying at wyndham sugar bay. it is all inclusive, has a great pool right off the beach. beach/pool area has reg. restaurant, plus a bar and a grill station for burgers and such. jet skies, kayaks and parasailing avail from the beach. tennis. snorkeling from the beach.
secret harbour is pretty quiet for teens to stay at, but has good beach snorkeling and a really good restaurant. also beach bar.
bolongo would be a fun place to stay or hang for an afternoon with a teen friendly menu. i think there is snorkeling??
coki beach has snorkeling. coki world is an eco-marine park next to the beach - you can feed rays, touch turtles, do snuba, etc.
check out www.newhorizonscharters.com for a fabulous tour. goes to the baths, marina cay for lunch, monkey point on guana island for snorkel and finally the soggy dollar for a drink. they go on a reconfigured cigarette boat - so very fast and tons of fun. make reservation as soon as you can as they book months ahead. passport needed.
day trips to st. john are easily done by taking the ferry from red hook. takes about 20-25 mins. st. j has loads of outstanding beaches for snorkeling.
if the adults would like one incredible meal w/out kids try havana blue at the marriott. gorgeous setting. very, very good food.
near coki is tony romano's - good italian.

3teenmemory Mar 12th, 2007 03:46 PM

Thank you. The info is valuable. Appreciate everyones time to answer!