Jost Van Dyke/Virgin Gorda Restaurants

Jul 31st, 2007, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Jost Van Dyke/Virgin Gorda Restaurants

Leaving in three weeks for 4 nights on Jost Van Dyke (staying at Sandcastles) and 5 nights on Virgin Gorda (staying at Little Dix). The only meals included are breakfasts each morning at Little Dix. Where do you recommend for inexpensive (but good!) breakfasts on Jost Van Dyke? Also, what about lunches and dinners on Jost Van Dyke and Virgin Gorda? We are not usually ones to eat at the hotels/resorts where we stay - we like to get out and explore the island - but are open to the hotel/resort restaurant if it's good. Thanks!
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:02 AM

The Sandcastle does a nice breakfast. You will have to go to Great Harbour and there are couple of places there that you can try. (I think Foxy's serves breakfast). On Virgin Gorda, you can find a good cheap breakfast at the mall just beside the ferry terminal at the Virgin Gorda Yacht Club. It's a sports bar/pub called the Bath and Turtle. For lunch, go to Ali Baba's at Little Harbour for great seafood and/or Foxy's Taboo at Diamond Cay. For dinner, definitely Foxy's Great Harbour.
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:09 AM

You can top my trip report on Virgin Gorda from two weeks ago, but my shortlist of good local food would be Flying Iguana for breakfast or lunch. (Don't know about dinner, but I think it's the same menu, so presumably it's just as good as the lunch preps. But go during daylight for the view of the beautiful water and to watch the planes take off while you eat. It's fun!

We also enjoyed Mine Shaft -- go early to watch the sunset. Or to play miniature golf, if you wish.

For fine dining (expensive!), we liked Giorgio's food and ambience very much.

I've got more restaurant info, including prices, in my trip report, so you might want to check that out.
Aug 1st, 2007, 04:44 AM

Though not easy to get to based on where you are staying the Biras Creek dinners, NOT the barbeques, are very, very.. good and are often better than Little Dix dinners though expensive. Lunch is not worth making the trip for.
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:42 AM

I second the Flying Iguana on Virgin Gorda!! We ate there twice in June... and twice at the Mineshaft.
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:52 AM

Corsairs on JVD has good breakfasts, and good dinners. (Bosco, I don't think Foxy's does breakfasts.) Be careful with Taboo, because it's not always open, though the food is good when it is. If you are on JVD on a Thursday night, try Ivan's BBQ (it might still be going on when you're there) and I like Foxy's for dinner - their seafood pasta is amazing. Burgers at Jewel's on White Bay are the best - only open for lunch. And the Soggy Dollar makes a fine flying fish sandwich for lunch.
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:34 AM

hummmm ... strange ... will try again later if the post doesn't appear!
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:40 AM

Hope this isn't a 'repeat' but the drive to Gunn Creek to catch the launch to Biras is a nice one especially if you are exploring the island. You can have lunch at the Fat Virgin on the water there - or dinner but I've only had lunch or enjoy one of the lovely dinners in a lovely setting in the Pavillion. I can vouch for the good dining. Am sure LDB staff can give you the launch schedule.
Also there is a yummy bakery in SpanishTown (M&M, the owner used to be the chef at Drake's Passage on Moskito Island) who had delicious homecooked chicken and wonderful bakery goods. As for directions as it is on a one-way street and there are no signs on the building.
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:29 AM

seasweetie: sorry, I know you can drink early at Foxy's -- but you can't have breakfast. JVD is the only place where I have had alcohol in the morning.