Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Jelly fish in Grand Cayman in May? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/jelly-fish-in-grand-cayman-in-may-202784/)

Sandra Apr 21st, 2002 11:34 AM

Jelly fish in Grand Cayman in May?

Has anyone experienced jelly fish in Grand Cayman this time of year? I've heard of an oil you can put on that protects.Anyone know anything about it?

Jodi Apr 21st, 2002 12:53 PM

Have never had a problem with jelly fish on 7 Mile Beach area. Think that when there is, it's mostly on the north side.

anon Apr 21st, 2002 03:46 PM

Had a big problem with them on SMB a few years ago in early May. I got stung pretty bad. They took about 3 or 4 days to clear out. Hubs never got touched.

leigh Apr 26th, 2002 02:25 AM

Was there in mid May 2000 and did not see a single jelly fish. Snorkeled on Cemetary Reef, Seven Mile Beach and Rum Bay. You probably wont have a problem. The only time I ever have seen Jelly Fish was in Florida last June and they were harmless.

Ted Apr 28th, 2002 12:10 PM

I've stayed on 7MB several times and never seen/felt a jellyfish. Other organisms in the water can sting sensitive people, however, but I've never heard anyone complain about Grand Cayman.

Cheryl Apr 29th, 2002 05:42 AM

I was in Grand Cayman the end of last May and there were quite a bit of thimble jellyfish there (they are about 1/2 inch diameter and tend to occur in swarms) ... In fact, they even did a feature about them one day on the GC news and were going down 7MB talking to people about them. The larvae, or "Sea lice" from these jellyfish (which are only the size of a spec of pepper and not visible) can cause a skin reaction ranging from mild to severe.<BR><BR>It varied from day to day where they were prevalent ... quite a few in the reef in front of the Governor's house (which is next to the Westin on 7MB), and at Rum Point, and a few in an off-shore reef we went to on a snorkeling trip. Just be sure to change your swimsuit shortly after going into the water and rinse off (cause the larvae tend to stick to the insides of swim suits and then rub against the skin causing a reaction.)<BR><BR>If you do a search under Caribbean on this site and type thimble jelly fish you will get some more information. I read that they tend to be most prevalent the end of spring (in between Mothers Day and Fathers Day).

Dave May 18th, 2002 10:02 AM

Last year was the first time I went in April/May and I got destroyed by the lavre of the jelly fish. I had spots all over my chest,abdomen and upper thighs. The only thing that saved me from highly visible spots was my skin color(I'm black). I had to spray vinegar on myself after leaving the beach and the dive boat. One woman I knew was so allergic from it that she actually started swelling and had to see a Dr. for a shot. Not everyone got the sea itch but I was in the water more often than them. Good Luck

Sandy May 18th, 2002 11:07 AM

Sandra,<BR>Last year April/May thimble jelly fish were everywhere. Just got back two weeks ago, and didn't see any.

anon May 18th, 2002 03:29 PM

leigh said you won't have a problem. She is the expert. There ween't any when she was there, therefore they don't exist.<BR><BR>I have been all over the Caribbean and never encountered the thimble jellyfish until the last 4 or 5 years and now it seems like they are popping up everywhere.

Leigh May 21st, 2002 12:21 PM

Anon- I didn't say I was an expert on Jelly fish. I said that I was there the same time of year and did not encounter any, was also in Florida Keys around the same time of year (last year) and did not encounter any that were dangerous. And I also Said they "PROBABLY" wouldnt have a problem with them. Get off your high horse.

another Anon May 21st, 2002 03:50 PM

I agree with the first anon, you can't go telling people that they won't or probably won't have a problem with something you can't control. You should tell them that yes, they might have a problem.

leigh May 21st, 2002 05:41 PM

I said "probably won't" have a problem with them. To me that means, Yes there is still a possibility you could. It is exactly what you are saying only in a different way. I think anon and Another anon are one in the same.

leigh May 21st, 2002 05:45 PM

And excuse me but "Ted" posted underneath me saying pretty much the same thing I did. I don't see you questioning him.

cayman420 May 22nd, 2002 07:29 AM

Come on, let's not fight. I have also heard thery are bad between mothers day and fathers day. I will be traveling between that time and will just talk with local dive masters to get a feel for the situation. I had them years ago very badly, I got them in Cancun.<BR>The swarms depends on a lot of factors...water temp, time of year, current. Who knows, only time will tell.<BR>There is not an oil that can protect you. I have heard that swimming nude is your best bet. They will not be able to cling onto your bathing suit, once you get out of the water and move around, lie on your beach chair that's when they sting.

Larry May 22nd, 2002 07:59 PM

MY family and I are leaving for Grand Cayman on Monday. We have experienced the thimble jellies in Turks and Caicos this time of year, and won't be surprised if we encounter them in Cayman. We use a dive-skin if they are prevalent, and rinse them out well after done swimming for the day. We found, at least in T & C, that they seemed to be in some areas and not others. Hopefully not where we are staying. But there is a lot of beach there....maybe we can out-run them :-)<BR>We also are taking a product with us from a local dive shop that they recommended called "Safe Sea jellyfish and sea lice safe sun block."<BR>Touted as "the world's only soultion against marine stingers." We'll report how it worked (or not) when we return.<BR>Just a short note regarding the above arguments between posters: This is a travel message board for sharing tips, experiences, and frequently.. opinions about the places we visit. Everyone doesn't have to agree with what is posted. Hardly anything here to get upset over. <BR>Larry<BR>

Leigh May 22nd, 2002 09:21 PM

I agree with you that this is not something to argue about. I got a little irritated that I gave my two cents (in a nice way) and some has to come along and rudely criticize what I said. If I I had been completly off base then by all means correct me. Many people on here give advice just the same, an example being the June Rain in the Caymans Post. One of the posters assured someone they likely would not have a problem with rain. I guess I have just seen so much snotty remarks on the US board that it bugged me. <BR><BR>On another note, I love the suggestion for swimming naked to avoid jelly fish! I guess that would be easy to do if you were at a Headonism resort! Anyways I am off to Playa in less than a week so I will let you know if I encounter any of these nasty thimble jellyfish...seeing as I can "control" them everywhere I go!

cayman420 May 23rd, 2002 06:24 AM

Good one Leigh!!<BR>I guess we will just have to check with local divemasters to get a feel for the sea lice situation. Our family leaves for Grand Cayman June 1st, we are very excited. Have a great time in Cancun!

xxx May 23rd, 2002 09:06 AM

Just got back from Cayman on the 20th and snorkeled and swam all over. Nary a jellyfish or itchy bump anywhere.

Leigh May 23rd, 2002 06:51 PM

Cayman420 - <BR><BR>Thanks, I will have a great time. Can't wait to get out of here! I am sure you will have just as good of a time, GC is just a fun place. I would definitly return!

Mary Jun 3rd, 2002 04:17 PM

Leigh's nuts.