Jamaica -- Whitehouse area?

Jul 5th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Jamaica -- Whitehouse area?

Hi,
I saw that Sandals is building another resort in the Whitehouse area of Jamaica. I had never come across this area while reading about Jamaica...I was just curious as to what this area of Jamaica was like -- any experiences?
Jul 6th, 2004, 03:50 PM

I ran across a description of Whitehouse on the Sandals site which described it as ' a burgeoning town of 5,000' with new home development being called 'the Beverly Hills of the South Coast' -- both more than a tad over-reaching. Sandals Whitehouse, scheduled to open 10 Feb 2005 is a self-contained resort with 320 rooms on a good beach that used to be Butch Stewarts' country getaway. Whitehouse is a fishing port where most of the Pedro Cays boats launch from. Plus a bus stop, a concrete
factory, some hustle and bustle. There's a development scheme/cluster of villas where the writer of 'Stella Got Her Groove Back' stashed her boyfriend, second homes being built on the hill by returnee/retiree Jamaicans, one on-the-downlow bar/dancehall. Not much else.
Jul 6th, 2004, 03:59 PM

If you go back up into the bush/hills from Whitehouse to Bogue and Darliston, it's all country and farmland with a few hidden great houses. A new airport, to service Sandals, natch, is now also
in the works for the area. Culloden Cafe, an interesting stop for lunch or dinner, is 5 min. away on the main, in
Culloden. No other resorts, hotels, tourist attractions.
Jul 6th, 2004, 05:04 PM

I wonder if the beach water is rough there or fairly calm? Is the water as clear as Negril/ MoBay?
Jul 6th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

TonyHarris -- I am wondering the same thing about the beach there...

Tivertonhouse -- Thanks for the repies!I was just curious about the area. How far is it from Negril?
Jul 6th, 2004, 11:41 PM

Beach is a gentle curve with shallow sandy-bottom stretching out quite a distance and calm waters. It's about 80 min.from Negril. Better than most MoBay beaches,not always as placid as Negril but not rough either. No public access.
Jul 7th, 2004, 11:25 AM

Bluefields Beach is public, just down the road a bit.

In that general area is YS Falls, Black River, Peter Tosh's memorial and family home, and some stunning scenery.

Personally I'm sorry Sandals is there, it was a very quiet area with a few villas/cottages and zero hassle and hustle.
Jul 8th, 2004, 01:09 AM

Most people in the area share Liz's
sentiments about it. Originally, it was going to be a Beaches/Sandals, family-oriented, but was changed to a megaplace after 14 years construction with the foundations sinking twice. Locals know the area as a breeding area for crocs and mosquitoes as there are mangrove swamps.
Jul 8th, 2004, 09:01 AM

Tiver you refer to a "onthedownlow" club ... does that mean the same thing in Jamaica as it does in the USA? If so is that area where those kinds hang out? If so might be real good place to stay away from!!!
Jul 8th, 2004, 11:39 AM

I imagine Sandals will destroy the mangroves that are the croc's habitat...but the mosquitoes are another story
Jul 8th, 2004, 11:11 PM

Curt: Check out the Jamaican movie
'Dancehall Gyal'. The Whitehouse place is similar/raunchy. On the downlow does not mean the same in Jamaica as it does in States, however/and outside of Kingston, you'd be very hard pressed to find 'those types' as you call them congregating anywhere on island.
Jul 9th, 2004, 06:43 AM

Here comes the over "tourization" of the South Coast.
Jul 15th, 2004, 07:50 PM

Just booked the last 2 weeks of Feb at that resort. Its grand opening is Feb 10, 2005.

Search this Thread