Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Jamaica to please all (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/jamaica-to-please-all-303549/)

r38 Apr 3rd, 2003 04:02 PM

Jamaica to please all

Can anyone help me find a hotel/location to please everyone? <BR><BR>My father is taking me, my 18 year old brother, and my fiancee on a family vaca to Jamaica. My dad is a free-spirit. His ideal vacation is to play paddle ball on the beach, listen to music at night and eat good grilled fish. He is not comfortable around too ritzy of a place. My brother is your typical 18 year old. He wants action and excitement. My fiance and I hate anything touristy or &quot;themed&quot;. We go after local restaurants, and more quiet places where we can relax without the sound of speed boats/jet skiis booming past.<BR><BR>Tensing Pen and Rockhouse both look fab to me, but I'm afraid neither will provide the beach excitement/proximity that my dad and brother would like. Does anyone have any suggestions for places that might be able to make all of us happy? Jamaica is where my dad suggested, but perhaps another island would be better??<BR><BR>We're looking to go sometime in January, probably for 6 or 7 nights. Don't want to spend more than 200 a night for accomodations...<BR><BR>THANKS!!!!

dmotl Apr 3rd, 2003 04:59 PM

Think we can help. We have done 3 two week trips to Negril during the last 3 years and have put our thoughts into a small brochure that is designed to help the first time visitor. Just e-mail us<BR>[email protected] e-mail with our compliments. By the way your dad is making a wise choice in choosing Negril.<BR>Although a choice that would more closely fit all your individual wishes would be Isla Mujeres. Visit Isla-Mujeres.net or e-mail us for info Dan and Ginny

tivertonhouse Apr 3rd, 2003 10:41 PM

See recs above for Treasure Beach on South Coast of Jamaica -- far,thankfully,from Negril and what you'd rather avoid...

jray Apr 4th, 2003 05:16 AM

On the beach side on Negril, there is Sea Gem, Fire Fly and many other smaller funky hotels. For a more detailed look at Negril you should visit negril.com

suefrommaine Apr 4th, 2003 05:29 AM

We have been to Negril twice and are going back at Christmas. Check out Nirvana and White Sands. Both are small reasonably priced and mellow mid beach accommodations that should please the varied needs of your family. Good Luck. Also check out negril.com and jamiacans.com

andreaac Apr 4th, 2003 05:48 AM

I would also suggest Rondel Village in Negril. Nice place. Info on them may be found at Negril.com. Negril is a wise choice.

MyBelle Apr 4th, 2003 08:58 AM

Negril is a great location, but you can find good beaches and great food, fun, etc. in Ocho Rios, Falmouth, and even Montego Bay. Ocho Rios is gorgeous and there are tons of hotels, all inclusives, private hotels and beaches, etc. Mo Bay is close to the airport and a little louder with the planes, etc., so I would go with Negril or Ocho Rios. We used to stay at a place called the Trelawney Beach Hotel and Resort and it was very cheap and all inclusive, we also stayed at the Hilton before it was bought back by the Government many years ago. Trelawney I believe has been bought by another company and might have changed names, but you might get some info typing it into the internet. In any case, you should be able to find something for everyone anywhere in Jamaica. Let us all know what you decide and how you liked it afterwards! Cool runnings! :)<BR><BR><BR><BR>

ejcrowe Apr 4th, 2003 09:13 AM

Although Rockhouse and Tensing Pen are both great and you should definitely visit them sometime, I understand that sometimes only a beach will do. Check out Kuyaba Hotel (not to be confused with the more high end Coyaba also on Jamaica) on Negril's beach. The cottages are nice and clean and a great value for what you pay. They're centrally located to lots of restaurants and activities on the beach, and they also have a restaurant on-site. Also look at www.negril.com. <BR><BR>You're lucky to have a father who wants to take you all on vacation. I hope you have a fabulous time!