Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Jamaica or Puerto Rico - who has the better beaches? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/jamaica-or-puerto-rico-who-has-the-better-beaches-873739/)

smr00 Jan 16th, 2011 05:32 AM

Jamaica or Puerto Rico - who has the better beaches?

For those that have been to both, who has the best beaches? I want to go to a place with a variety of beautiful beaches in March. Don't really have any other requirements, just beautiful beach - any thoughts? :)

virginia Jan 16th, 2011 05:48 AM

please decribe your "best beach"
long for walking? - blindingly white sand? (vs pink, black or just reg sand color)
small cove lined with palm trees?
almost no one else?
tons to do like jetski, kayak rentals & parasailing?
lots of rests/beachbars or bring a lunch beaches?
snorkeling?
calm for swimming or are you more beachsitter/swim in hotel pool type?
windsurf/surfing beach?
do you want to drive around to check out lots of beaches or mostly just hang out in "your area" >antigua for example has 365 beaches 8-)

are you only deciding between jam & pr? or will you consider other islands. and if you want resort/lodging suggestions you'll need to tell us a specific budget

smr00 Jan 16th, 2011 06:52 AM

Beautiful beach to means warm weather, warm water, calm water. Light colored sand, crystal clear blue waters..and I would like to get out and explore different beaches, so go to different beaches on different days. I'm pretty much looking for beautiful landscapes.
It doesn't just have to be puerto rico or jamaica - i just thought since those were closer, cheaper and had direct flights from the north east, it would be easier. We are probably only going five days max.
We won't be doing diving or snorkeling but I certainly don't want to sit at a pool at a resort. I want to be able to appreciate the beaches and explore different ones and just take in the landscape.
Does that make sense? And I also want 80 degree weather...

suze Jan 16th, 2011 07:06 AM

Both those islands have what you describe, beautiful landscape and beautiful beaches and places to go different days. Both should have 80 degree weather in March. Geographically they are right next door to each other in the Caribbean.

But honestly I think most all of the Caribbean islands fit what you seek. Nice beaches and landscape is kind of what they're all about!

smr00 Jan 16th, 2011 07:20 AM

Is Jamaica safe enough to rent a car and just drive around to different beaches? It seems like a large island and that you either base yourself in montego bay or negril? Is this correct? Any ideas which would be better?

suze Jan 16th, 2011 08:42 AM

Most people aren't comfortable renting cars and driving on their own in Jamaica. Most hire private drivers which you can do for a reasonalbe price. It's not so much that it is not "safe enough" rather the road conditions are pretty wild, and remember it's driving on the "wrong side" of the road British style. Yes it *is* a large island with interior mountain range, that's what makes the place so lush and beautiful (compared to smaller more desert type islands).

If you're asking which "would be better" between Negril and MoBay... most definitely Negril imo.