JAMAICA OR KAUAI??????

Old Mar 19th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JAMAICA OR KAUAI??????

I have heard many different things about Jamaica some good but more bad.
My question is has anyone been to both Kauai and Jamaica if so,which one is naturally more beautiful?
I really would like to visit Jamaica one day but have been kinda nervous because of the stories that I have heard about it.
I like islands that have alot of natural beauty and the people are friendly.Poverty doesn't bother me as it is everywhere you go.
Is Jamaica real commercialized?Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 01:44 PM

Based on what you have said, I think you would like Jamaica.

People who normally have problems with Jamaica are those who are not well-traveled and expect their Caribbean vacation to be the sanitized version that can be seen on some of the travel channels and in Sandals magazine ads.

I've been all over the Caribbean (and Mexico and the US and to some parts of Europe), and I have never seen such an amazing array of natural beaty couples with a population of genuinely happy friendly people.

I have not been to Hawaii simply because we are divers and I like my water warm and enjoy the Caribbean people so much I want to see every single island there (that could take me some time).

Jamaica is amazing!
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 02:24 PM

We've been to both Jamaica and Kauai-- and loved them both. Your choice depends on what you're specifically looking for. E.g. the beaches on Kauai are considerably more beautiful and Kauai has very good snorkeling (in some spots). Jamaica has virtually no off-beach snorkeling. (You may not be mainly ionterested in beaches and snorkeling.) Both islands are very beautiful, but we think Kauai is much more beautiful. Jamaica has a kind of scruffy beauty in much of its interior (the "rain forest" part-- and we love rain forests) Kauai is ravishingly beautiful almost all over. Poverty (and dissatisfaction) seem to us to exist much more in Jamaica than in Kauia. Also, there's definitely a fair amount of open drug selling in Jamaica. didn't scare or particularly bother us, but some people would find that opressive. Nothing in Jamaica can hold a candle to Waimea Canyon on Kuai (I'm not sure the Grand Canyon can either)-- esp seen from a helicopter. Hiking on Kuaia is much better and more various. If you have other specific questions I'll try to answer them. Good luck in your decision.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers. I have been to Kauai, but have never been to Jamaica.My husband and I both LOVED Kauai.We also loved the beach accessible snorkeling Kauai has.The Waimea Canyon,Spouting Horn,Queens Bath etc.
I have heard alot about Negril,Jamaica, it sounds to be very pretty too.But since we both love to snorkel from the beach I cannot see going to Jamaica if the snorkeling is not good from the beach.Maybe one day after we have gone to other islands.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 08:22 PM

The beach in Negril is wonderful even if the snorkeling is not great. Negril is probably the best beach destination. However, you are farther from the mountains than when you stay on the north side of the island. I know some who have stayed a few nights in Ocho Rios and then several in Negril. I did a vacation in each area, and I prefer Negril. I have been to all the Kauai also. Negril is not THAT beautiful. But, in exchange you have the jamaican culture and the people are very charming. YOu will probably find the locals (and the tourists) more laid back in Negril and will not encounter as much agressive nature as in other major tourist areas. I found if I kindly said no to beach vendors there they left me alone. Don't let the negative stories bother you and go to Jamaica sooner rather than later!
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 07:41 AM

1. Both are lovely in terms of scenery. Personally I give the edge to Kauai.
2. We have been to Jamaica 3 times and before our 1st trip I remember reading about the people which said be friendly to them and they will return it with interest and found this to be true. Yah mon!
3. The food in Jamaica is terrific! I do miss it.
4. Commerecilization? Kauai is less so in that respect though I would think some areas in Jamaica are pretty laid back. Port Antonio is one example.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 04:45 PM

Jamaica gets my vote the most friendly people we have ever met. Been there about 6 times.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 09:03 PM

i have been to both. Yes, Jamaica is beautiful but honestly Kauai is the most beautiful spot on earth for me...the waterfalls, the hiking, the Napali coast..no question for me!!
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 08:16 AM

No question, go to Kauai. You will not be sorry! I stayed at the Hyatt and it was great. I've been to Jamaica and was not impressed.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 09:46 AM

We have been to both and love both. However, my choice would be Kauai. Both have good food and are romantic and have nice accomodations, but... Kauai has that aloha spirit and is so beautiful I literally cried when our 14 days were up and it was time to return home.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 10:28 AM

Seems like budget and time will play a role in this choice...for us two weeks in Jamaica costs about what a week in Kauai would, and the flight to JA is much shorter.

For west coasters that might be different.