Jamaica-Negril or Montego Bay

Old Jun 1st, 2010, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jamaica-Negril or Montego Bay

I'm going to Jamaica solo in July. In Negril I've gotten prices for 4 nights and airfare for approx $700. In Montego, the price was closer to $1000. In Montego, its mostly all inclusive whereas, Negril was not. I was really looking for a nice beach, and relaxing for a few days. I didn't feel the need for an all inclusive since I'll be on my own, but if I have to go that route I will. I'm flying from NY. I guess my question is about which place? How is it getting to Negril from MB airport cost wise and time wise. Is it worth it or should I just stick with MB. Also, I was looking at a few Sandals, Travellers, Coca La Palma, and Iberostar Grand Rose Hall, and Sunset Beach Resort. I've never been to Jamaica before and I'm sure no matter where I go it will be beautiful. Just not sure if Negril is more laid back for what I'm looking for and is it worth getting there or will MB suit my needs? I'm open to and appreciative of any comments or suggestions.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 11:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
NEGRIL! No contest. Especially solo. Getting out to Negril is 60-90 mins. drive and there's all manner of transportation readily available (in the $30 range for shared shuttles).

YES Negril is WAY more "laid back"... Montego Bay is a big city where you'll likely stay only on your resort property. I am going to Negril in July for the 3rd time (but the first two trips were a long time ago).

There's all kinds of great places (I don't know about all-inclusive as I've never stayed at one, but they are available) from anywhere in the $65 to $200+/night range.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 12:18 PM

If it was just me, and I wasn't taking my inpatient teen (long transfer and he wants lots of activities/tours [Dunns River, ATV, etc]), I would definately stay in Negril. Kick back and totally relax. It has the best beach and sunsets. I'm a sucker for a sunset
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 05:08 PM

No doubt in my opinion that Negril will leave you with a feeling of wanting to come back ASAP. Once you go, you know.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I was really leaning towards Negril. I guess my concern was getting there from the airport timewise and cost wise. My preference is to not do an AI or a big resort. I really wanted laid back and relaxing. Lol, if I can stay in my bathing suit the entire time, I'll be happy!
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 08:08 PM

Hey,

I just got back from Negril spent 7 days in a swimsuit,tank tops, shorts and flip flops. That's all you need. Negril is the way to go...
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks genocoop. I was leaning towards Negril for the casual ambiance but ended up going with Montego Bay only because of the flight times and time there. My flight will be a little over 4 hours and then I didn't want to take another almost 2 driving from the airport, especially since I couldn't get an early flight. Next time, I would like to plan earlier and go to Negril. Thanks all though for the advice.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 07:34 AM

That's too bad. The drive out to Negril is beautiful and really no big deal. There's all kinds of cheap shuttles and more expensive private drivers doing the run on a regular basis. Even for a short stay, the drive imho is time well spent to be in Negril!
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

I have to admit that I'm disappointed, Suze. My travel agent who is also a friend really pushed Montego Bay. Her reasoning mostly was the time constraints. I have a feeling she was more concerned about me traveling alone and wanted me in an resort for her own peace of mind. While I'm sorry about not going to Negril, I'm still thrilled to be going to Jamaica. Thanks again for your insight. I appreciate it!
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Ah... using a travel agent! That explains it ;-) I'm just kidding (somewhat) but even traveling solo I don't see why someone considers a resort in MoBay 'safer' or more desireable than heading out to Negril. I've only passed thru Montego Bay and a long time ago but it was not very comfortable for me. Has your TA been to Jamaica herself?

I guess because I always plan my own trips, I probably shouldn't even be commenting. I do hope you have a wonderful trip and things all work out smoothly for a nice time.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Actually, Suze, usually I plan all on my own and then let her book to get whatever credit or commission she makes. She's like a mother figure to me since I'm a kid so I'd feel bad cutting her out completely. Usually I don't let her have such a say but I've had some healthy issues lately and it comes down more to her just being worried overall so I gave in to her. I took the attitude that I'll be in Jamaica and it will be great regardless and when I'm feeling better I'll go to Negril!
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Oh, sorry, didn't answer why she feels MB would be safer. She wanted me in an AI resort where she felt everything I need is right there. She felt I'd be more inclined to lie on the beach in MB whereas in Negril, I'd want to more wandering around. Its more health than safety.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 11:28 AM

Terrible advice. The taxi from MBJ to Negril is only an hour and 15 minutes and quite enjoyable, in my opinion. Negril is a MUCH better choice for lying on one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean. MBJ doesn't even come close...outside of Doctor's Cave Beach which is a popular public beach with the locals, I don't even know of any natural beaches. Terrible advice and I wouldn't use that TA ever again despite your connection with her.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 03:14 PM

if you have health issues, please look at insuremytrip.com and if you haven't already gotten trip insurance-get it. be sure the policy you choose has medi-vac included,just in case you need it. it can be very expensive to be evacuated and the insurance is very reasonable. good luck and go to negril next time,it's much more relaxing than mo-bay!
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Lol, I'm really starting to feel like I'll never be forgiven for not going to Negril! And thanks, pwj155. I was in the process of getting trip insurance and that link is very helpful!
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 01:48 PM

Well your post IS a tricky one. I'm not trying to make you feel bad. But YOU want to go to Negril. Everyone here thinks Negril is the better choice. But your TA has talked you into different arrangement for some pretty darn flimsy reasons imho. There's plenty of AI's in Negril if that's a requirement. No one says you have to "wander around" if you're not feeling up to it.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 03:59 PM

Always remember TA's are motivated by commission and I'm pretty sure Sandals/Beaches and their like pay one of the highest going.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Suze, I should apologize for the confusion. I wanted to go to Jamaica and looked into both spots. My preference was something not big and resorty because I was disappointed with that in Dominican Republic. Negril seemed perfect. When I went to my friend who I have known for over 30 years and is like a mother to me, her first thought was about the trip from MB to Negril and the fact that my flight wasn't coming in until 4 and leaving at 2. She felt I'd rather make my way right to the beach and not lose the time traveling. It was also her feeling that because I'd had some recent health problems, that I'd be better off with an AI so that I can have everything I want right there and not have to leave the resort if I wasn't feeling up to it. Safety wise she wasn't thrilled with me being out and while not feeling my best and again felt that my best bet would be a resort. Her motive has nothing to do with her commission. She waives her fee and takes the cost off my trip. Her concern was genuine and because she's been to Jamaica many times and I never have, I went with what she thought would be best. I will go to Negril but when I'm feeling better and can plan it better. For now, I'm happy just to be on a beach in Jamaica and as she said, have whatever I want right there. I'm sorry if its confusing of if people don't understand that. I asked about the travel time and cost before she pointed all her reasons out to me and for that I apologize for bothering anyone. This is a great forum and I certainly appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions from everyone.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 07:02 AM

writealiving~ hey I wasn't the one that said your TA choose the resort for her commission ;-) My point was only that the trip to Negril is no big deal, a 60-90 mins. drive that you can do for ~$30 on a shuttle, and there are AI resorts in Negril too. But no need to apologize, we are all just trying to answer the original question, before you made your final plans. I'm sure you'll have a great vacation, get some sun and relaxation.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 07:03 AM

I'm sure everyone that reads and posts on this board wishes that you have a great vacation in Jamaica and that your experiences lead you to want to return again. Have fun!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -