Jamaica My favorite place Whats yours?

Jan 10th, 2001, 11:15 AM
Kim (IN)

Jamaica My favorite place Whats yours?

Our first experience in the Caribbean was Jamaica a few yrs ago, since then we have been to a few islands but Jamaica is still my
favorite place.

Jan 10th, 2001, 11:33 AM
Ray Snow

Hi Kim,

Jamaica is a nice Caribbean island destination. I still like Montego Bay better than the current rage, Negril. But my favorite places in the Caribbean are the USVI and the BVI. I especially love laid back St. John and its beautiful pristine beaches. But I love the BVI even more. Ultra laid back and almost quaint Virgin Gorda is my absolute favorite place in the world. So many wonderful beaches, so little time.

Regards,
Ray

Jan 11th, 2001, 03:28 PM
joe

I would have to say Jamaica also, have been to quite a few of the Sandals Resorts and loved them all, Negril has to be my favorite.

Jan 12th, 2001, 05:14 AM
Fran

I would have to say the same, we have been to Sandals Negril 8 yrs in a row.
This feb we are doing the Super Suprise so Im not sure were we will be but Im sure of one thing it has to be Jamaica!
And yes we have been to other places!

Jan 12th, 2001, 12:22 PM
Kim

Hi! I am currently looking into Jamaica and the Dominican Republic (Punta Cana)I am not sure which one to go to yet. Is the Sunset Beach Hotel & Spa nice in Montego Bay? Where is the nicest place in Jamicia? Thanks for any help! -KIM

Jan 12th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Rich F

Jamaica is an incredible island. And
NEGRIL is one of the best destinations in the Caribbean...it has it all.

- A fantasic 7 mile beach (definetly on anyones top ten list).
- Wonderful excursions (Y.S. falls, Mayfield Falls, Blackriver, etc.
- Watersports, cliff diving, diving, snorkeling.
- Music, culture, food (local and seafood).

And that's only Negril, not to mention the rest of this diverse island.

Jan 12th, 2001, 09:16 PM
Barry

Jamaica Is a Dump!

Jan 13th, 2001, 07:23 AM
Kimberly

Here is pea brain Barry again, he cant mind his own business on this sight, just ignore his comments he is just trying to get attention. Poor man needs a life!!!!!

Jan 13th, 2001, 07:27 AM
Pam

I would have to agree with the responce above ignore him. Jamaica is my favorite place also, and have been their several times. Wonderful people and a beautiful
Island. Negril has to have one of the best beaches.

Jan 14th, 2001, 02:47 PM
Les

So glad to read all the positive feedback on my favorite place to be! After 15 trips, I still can't get enough of the place and can hardly bring myself to get on that plane when it's time to leave. Jamaica's not for everyone, but it's sure the place for me.

Jan 14th, 2001, 05:46 PM
Kim

I agree with you Leslie!

Jan 19th, 2001, 05:18 PM
Kimi

I've been to Jamaica, St. Maarten & Cancun & Jamaica is my fav of the islands I've visited. Can't wait til we return! Planning on going to Negril for our honeymoon!

Jan 20th, 2001, 12:27 AM
Lisa

My hubby & I are leaving in 4 days for Ocho Rios. First time for us !
Staying at The Grand Renaissance.
Anyone know if there's night life there ? What else can we do besides hang at the resort ? We like to be
" touristy " ! Any ideas or suggestions ? Thanks !

Jan 20th, 2001, 07:38 AM
Les

Lisa, You could check out the Lil' Pub on Main St. They have floor shows and and sports bar. It is a good place to sit and people watch and has a mix of tourists and locals. Club Amnesia is good for dancing. The place gets packed.
Take a drive through Fern Gully up into the country..very scenic. And, of course, climb Dunn's River Falls.

Jan 22nd, 2001, 10:05 AM
dee

we are going to Negril-Grand Lido-for our honeymoon in March-what can you tell me? We're in our mid-20s. I've read this resort is for older couples-will we still have fun? We like to go out and listen to music, etc. Any advice?

Jan 22nd, 2001, 11:49 AM
pettis

Just got back from a stay at Beaches Inn in Negril. It was beautiful and quiet. We also got to enjoy all that Beaches Negril had to offer through a convenient shuttle bus service. Had lots of fun and would definitely do an all-inclusive again!

Jan 22nd, 2001, 01:34 PM
Chris C.

MY GIRLFRIEND AND I ARE PLANNING A TRIP TO JAMAICA IN MID FEBRUARY. IT IS A FIRST TRIP THERE FOR US. NEITHER OF US DRINK , SO HANGING IN BARS SAMPLING RUM IS NOT WHAT I WANT TO DO. WE ARE BOTH ACTIVE AND FIT AND ENJOY THE OUTDOORS. WHERE ARE THE BEST PLACES TO GO?

Jan 22nd, 2001, 03:33 PM
ohliz

Hi!

There's lots to do if you don't drink

You can climb waterfalls - YS and Mayfield are closest to Negril and both are beautiful, you can go mountain biking in the hills around Negril, you can horseback ride in the hills or on the beach (not Negril beach, nearby), you can take a boat ride up the Black River or out to the reef in Negril or to Booby Cay (a little island offshore) or to the cliffs.

You can eat really, really well.

You can rent a car or motorcycle (I'd only do that if you've done it before - roads are rough and drivers are fast, plus there's the occasional goat...)

Check out negril.com for some ideas.

Have fun!
Liz

Jan 23rd, 2001, 07:03 AM
Lisa

To Dee: Grand Lido does have an older crowd, but there are great beach parties playing reggae all along the beach. Just walk along and there'll be signs everywhere. Also, you're nearby Hedonism that has a very active disco--good if you'd rather party with fellow tourists. I personally preferred the nightlife with the Jamaicans myself. When I was there, was lucky to have been when the Negril Carnival was going on, we checked it out and did not regret it...
To Chris C: If you're looking for active vacationing, try the Blue Mountains--beautiful for hiking, close to Kingston (which is not that bad depite the hype), near beautiful Port Antonio, and fairly close to funky, laid back Treasure Beach--try Jake's a very very cool place to stay.
My fave place? JAMAICA! I love the people, the music, the food and the beauty! Have been to Cancun (yuck), Bahamas, Barbados, Haiti and Dominica and, although, I appreciated and enjoyed every one of those places, by far Jamaica!

Jan 23rd, 2001, 07:28 AM
dee

Lisa, thanks for the info. I would like to go to some local places. Any suggestions for food and/or clubs? Also, are there waterfalls close by?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO