Jamaica Inn - What to Expect

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jamaica Inn - What to Expect

Mr. Travelbug and I just booked a 5 day/4 night getaway to Jamaica Inn for the beginning of May. We wanted to go to Barbados, but we figured it was too long of a trip for just a few days. We got a hell of a deal on Expedia (RT nonstop flights from JFK departing early in the morning on Thursday and returning in the early evening on Monday and the balcony suite for just under $2,000 together with airport transfers).

Anyway, I'd love to get some first hand accounts from anyone that's been. I've obviously read the reviews on Trip Advisor. I'd like to arrange a half day trip for the two of us (we're just as adventurous as we are romantic) and would appreciate any suggestions.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 10:00 AM

First of all, you will have a wonderful time. Jamaica Inn is a romantic, quiet place with impeccable meal service. You will never have to "claim" a palapa or lounge chair. You must have breakfast delivered to your room at least once -- I never go for room service but this was a delight. There is a shopping shuttle that takes you into Ocho Rios (only about a 7-minute drive). We enjoyed the Island Village shopping complext the best. We did take one excursion that was amazing -- the Blue Mountain mountain bike excursion. It does take a whole day. And there is quite an amount of driving but it was fun. We went with BLue Mountain Tours. The atmosphere at Jamaica Inn is dreamy. The spa was good (I had a body scrub). There is also some good snorkelling right off the beach. It's a wonderful experience.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I'd read about the bike tour and had been debating it. We live in NYC, so the thought of sitting still for a few days is as welcomed as it is kind of scary.

Thank you so much for the advice.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 06:13 AM

Gerry and I stayed at the Jamaica Inn two years ago and opted to hang out on the beach for our entire stay. Really beautiful with great service. Food is fantastic and I would highly recommend a couples massage at the spa. Enjoy!!
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 12:21 PM

We spent 5 nights at the JI during mid-March (last month) and we were very pleased with the accommodations, the beach, the Spa, and the great attentive staff. As you indicated that you were adventurous and were interested in off-site activities (as we were) I recommend that you take a look at the recommendations that Tivertonhouse sent to me (see Triverton's post in response to mine "Searching for Recommendations", currently listed as #52 on this forum). We were off site 4 of the 5 days on day trips.

Dining at the JI is very pleasant but recommend you explore the off site restaurants that Triverton recommended as well. If you want to try a locals spot within walking distance of the JI, try "The Ranch" - nothing fancy at all (basically a patio + bar) but the jerked chicken I had there was perhaps the best I sampled during our 9 day trip.

We took a day trip to Ochi to explore the stores (those that the locals shop in) and the locals market. It was one of the most memorable days of our trip.

If you do travel off site on your own to mingle with the locals be prepared to deal with unsolicited local "guides" looking to sell you something or tag along to help you (for a tip of course). This was not a problem for us, as we were both firm and fair with the locals.

I came back with a great deal of respect for the Jamaican people, and with a desire to return (Port Antonio next time)

Enjoy your trip!