Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Jamaica Inn (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/jamaica-inn-251801/)

Lisa Aug 21st, 2002 12:22 PM

Jamaica Inn

We are considering Jamaica Inn for our 20th wedding anniversary in November. Have been to Little DB, Coral Reef Club, Galley Bay, Sonesta in Anguilla and Biras Creek. Is this Inn as special as they say? How does it compare to the other resorts I have stayed at? Any comments would be great. Thanks.

jam-man Aug 21st, 2002 12:46 PM

Of your comps I've only been at Galley Bay and that way many years ago. I can only say that Jamaica Inn is an absolutely special place that we love (been there 3 times and counting). Wonderful rooms, spacious verandah terraces, great food, impeccable service, perfect beach, incredible ambiance.<BR>Put Jamaica Inn in the search box above and read all the posts that have appeared here on the Inn.

sandi Aug 21st, 2002 01:01 PM

Lisa,<BR>My husband & I was at JI in May. Like you said, you've already been to the resorts that you mentioned above don't go to JI. The resort ground is lush, however, the room needs remodeling, the bathroom roofing was leaking (toilet bowl clean brush was next to toliet), the whole building itself needs painting and so on. The sad part was we talked to one of the owner (2 brothers) and, according to him, the room has been remodeled???? The place is over 40 years old. The dad died and left the place to his two sons and they're not keeping the resort up to date. <BR>It is about 1.5 hour drive from Montego Bay airport. It seem nicer on web then in real eyes. We went there because we heard so much about it and we will not go back again. No, it is not special as it sounded to be. Don't let it fool you. I read every article, magazine,fodors, wheretostay.com review and so on, before we went. Go to Peter Island or somewhere else.

Lisa Aug 21st, 2002 01:17 PM

Sandi,<BR><BR>Thanks for the info. . .what type of room did you stay in?

sandi Aug 21st, 2002 07:00 PM

we stayed at ocean front verenda suite. Open Verenda is nice but the room & the bathroom, not good (oh yeah, the mattress is hardd too, pillows (flat), !!! At night there're all kinds of criket noise (SP?) & some other noise too, is like camping. Some part of the property is being promoted as time share, It is not a big place. Since you've seen galley bay, LDB and Biras Creek, JI water clarity will not be clear like the other resorts . If you must go to Jamaica then you should choose another resort. IT wiLL be a let down for you. The service & food is good. open air area for breakfast/or you can eat at your verenda & dinner is open air too. Property is in U shape and only 2 story. Is like being at mOM and Pop place. Same menu for breakfast & dinner changes daily.

sandi Aug 21st, 2002 07:04 PM

Lisa, FYI<BR><BR>THe jam man posting must have something to do with JI because similar comments were posted before we went to JI on Fodor's. Be ware

tivertonhouse Aug 22nd, 2002 01:50 AM

JI is a classic. More luxe and updated is Chris Blackwell's 'Goldeneye', the former Ian Flemming estate, at Orcabessa 30 min past Ocho Rios. It's very special and the kind of place with the right kind of impact and privacy for a 20th anniversary. islandoutpost.com has pix and details

tivertonhouse Aug 22nd, 2002 01:53 AM

Note:you'll hear crickets everywhere in Jamaica -- it's just part of island night sounds....peeny wallies/fireflies,too.

sandi Aug 22nd, 2002 07:58 AM

About regarding the crickets, <BR>It is not ture about hearing the crickets all over in Jamaica. We were in Montego Bay&lt; Ritz Carlton and did not hear the crickets. Yes, JI was classic back in 1960 or so, when it was new. Now need major remodeling. JI ground is beautiful but then again there're so many beautiful places in Jamaica! By the way when is JI planning to fix the air condition/bedroom that make so much noise?

jam-man Aug 22nd, 2002 09:12 AM

Lisa,<BR><BR>If you've done the search on Jamaica Inn in the box above, you've been able to read the 20 or so posts about the property. You know it was built in the late 40's. You'll also know that many of us who love the property love it specifically for its classic values. Flashy it ain't. Warm, inviting, and a wonderful place to recharge the batteries it is.<BR>Whenever I post on this site, I offer my opinion based on what I like. When someone expresses reservations about someplace I like, I can only say everybody's tastes differ.<BR>I love the sound of the tree frogs at night, peeping quietly in the dark. I hear them because I don't use the air conditioner, which is probably why I'm not aware of the A/C making noise.<BR>Look, you need to make up your own mind about where you want to go, based on the research you do yourself. In no way do I want my opinion of the JI to sound like I'm arguing with anyone else's opinion.<BR>But I will say this, my wife and I are going back. And more than once.<BR>And just to put any misunderstandings to rest right now, I am not affiliated with the Jamaica Inn, no one in my family has any connection, in any way, with the Jamaica Inn, it's owners or employees. I'm not compensated in any way for expressing my opinion about the Jamaica Inn.<BR>

Lisa Aug 22nd, 2002 03:10 PM

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback. I am still strongly considering this resort, direct flight from Boston, the beach and dining experiences sound great and I am looking for someplace relatively quiet. We'll see!

abc Aug 22nd, 2002 03:17 PM

To Sandi,<BR><BR>How dare you accuse Jam-man of having some sort of connection to JI just because his opinion differs from yours. Your complaints seem very trivial..you heard crickets??? Come on already, get over yourself!!! (the bed was hard, pillows flat, but food was good....OH NO, NOBODY GO THERE!)....please....

sandi Aug 22nd, 2002 03:48 PM

Hi Lisa, <BR><BR>Now I hope you go there to see for yourself. Yes, the food is good, which mean, is not bad. Lisa can go there if she wish, is her money & her choice. I'm just letting her know our experience (since we've been to same places such as Galley Bay, Biras Creek & Coral Reef). To each of their own and have a wonderful trip Lisa. I didn't know that abc will get pist off that much. Very interesting. By the way I will not be responding or reading anymore about JI because I don't want (abc) to get more pist off & have a minor heart attack. Is not worth it. Life is short. <BR>Jam-Man, If you're not, part of the JI then please accept my apology.

abc Aug 22nd, 2002 04:01 PM

bye.

Lisa Aug 23rd, 2002 11:34 AM

Anybody else out there with an opinion on Jamaica Inn? Thanks.

Matt Helm Aug 23rd, 2002 12:21 PM

Not specifically on JI but in support of another spot that jam-man says good things about: Tryall. For couples and small groups (great house villas)or larger groups and family gatherings (estate villas) you can't beat the luxury, amenities and bang for your buck. Elsewhere on this site I read people debating the per/day or per/week costs for food and beverages of fully-staffed villas. Even at the high-end of posts (approx. $200-225 including liquor) that's still a steal compared to a place like JI where the meal plan alone (no alcohol) is $100/day per person. Can't beat having a private cook and staff to wait on you. A group of us spent time at Tryall earlier in the summer and you can find various posts by searching 'Tryall'.

Patty Aug 26th, 2002 03:41 PM

Lisa,<BR>I have not been to the other properties you mentioned but have been to Peter Island which sandi suggested. And while we absolutely love them both (JI and PI), they are a totally different experience. You will have to decide if you prefer the old world charm of the JI or the expansive facilities and 'newness' (is that a word?) of PI. We found the food at both resorts equally good and loved having breakfast and tea on our veranda at JI. BTW, we had a premier veranda room in the west wing directly overlooking the water (#19 I think). We actually prefered the service at JI over PI. JI was quiet and unobtrusive whereas we felt PI staff tried too hard to be overly friendly. But that is personal preference. Again these are just some of the distinct differences.<BR><BR>jam-man,<BR>when were you last at JI? We are planning a trip for early December and I can't decide between JI, Round Hill, or the new Ritz. Have never been to the latter two. I've heard great things about the Ritz but keep thinking it is too big of a resort for our taste (the kid factor is a discouragement too). Don't know if we should try something new (RH) or stay with what we know (JI). RH villas sound great but the beach does not look as inviting as JI. You seem to be quite knowledgeable about Jamaica properties. Any advice? Thanks.

Patty Aug 26th, 2002 04:58 PM

P.S. - we don't golf so that would not be an issue

Patty Aug 26th, 2002 07:57 PM

Matt,<BR>Tryall seems like a good option if you have a group or 2 couples. But for 2 people, I find it's much less costly to stay at Jamaica Inn or Round Hill. We are planning a 5 night stay and JI or RH will run us between $2000-$2300 (based on MAP at both resorts and a villa suite at RH). I priced Tryall and it is closer to $3000 based on the same inclusions and in an estate villa. I know we can choose the great house villas, but I've heard they are not true villas and are 'condo' like. It doesn't seem like Tryall would be worth the extra money to us. Unless I'm just not looking in the right place for deals on Tryall???

jam-man Aug 27th, 2002 05:01 AM

<BR>Patty,<BR>Was last at JI last spring (2001) after a break of some 16 years. It was as though we'd been there the week before. Nothing has changed. The service was just as impeccable. The meals were just as excellent. The beach was still private and the waves unobtrusively small. Even several of the staff were still there from our prior visit.<BR>Your Tryall concerns are appropriate. I believe the best deals are for 2 or more couples. That having been said, there are owners of villas who will quote a price for less than the full complement, so a couple could get in for about one-third (3 bedroom) and one-half (two bedroom) of the full rate. Contact Dainty at Tryall reservations. Usually these reduced rate deals are done on what they call 'short notice' which I think is about 60 days in advance.<BR>One thing to remember about the Great House villas is that they have a complete kitchen, with utensils and dishes, cutlery, etc. You can buy food at the commissary and make your own breakfast and lunch and eat dinner at the Great House restaurant or go into MoBay. That saves a bit on the food cost.<BR>Or, your housekeeper can be hired on as a cook for $25 a day, plus the cost of the food, which she will purchase at the commissary and charge to your account. <BR>We did a GHV this July and there were so few people there that Herbert Bauer, the Food and Beverage Manager closed the restaurant and the cook and food were provided to us (we were there as an All Inclusive -- I was the high bid for the package on luxurylink) at no cost. And she was a good cook.<BR>When we've been to JI we've been in the main building twice, once on the first floor and once on the second. Each has its attractions: the extra space on the verandah of the first floor and the privacy of the second floor. On one of our visits we were on the first floor of the second building and that was fine, too, but, because it sits lower than the main building, the view wasn't as attractive.<BR>I've not been to Round Hill, but I've never seen a negative comment about the place. As a golfer, and considering it as a villa to villa vacation, Tryall wins my vote.<BR>We're going to the Ritz this November, so I have no opinion on that property yet, but again, it seems the overwhelming sense on this board is very positive.<BR>By the way, check out luxurylink.com, I think they have 1 or 2 packages for JI. One is a 'Best Buy' which is a no bid, reduced price, and I think one is an 'Exclusive' which isn't as good a price.<BR>Haven't been to the JI website for a while, but I thought I remember seeing some packages offered there.<BR>Also, check out Air Jamaica vacations. That's what we used for the JI trip and it worked out pricewise as though the airfare was free. Can only book through a travel agent.<BR>Hope this helped. Reading back on it, it seems like I kind of rambled around.