Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Jamaica Honeymoon in November? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/jamaica-honeymoon-in-november-703635/)

snooks May 8th, 2007 05:45 PM

Jamaica Honeymoon in November?

My fiance and I are now toying with the idea of going to Jamaica for our honeymoon, which will be Thanksgiving week '07. A few questions for you all...what do you think of the weather for mid-late November in Jamaica? I know it is technically the end of hurricane season, but are we pushing it trying for the Caribbean at this time?

We like the idea of the convenience of all-inclusives, but are hesitant at the same time that we'd lose any authenticity some of the smaller hotels have to offer. We are considering the Rockhouse Hotel in Negril. Any thoughts? Are the waters calm in that area?

To give some background, we want a stylish hotel, no more than $300/nt, beachfront with privacy. Love the idea of private villas and cabanas. An all-inclusive plan for these type of hotels is nice, but not a priority.

I'd love some suggestions! :)

liza May 8th, 2007 05:50 PM

End of November was our regular time for a few years - always had nice weather and it's still off-season pricewise :)

snooks May 8th, 2007 07:33 PM

That's good news! Any recommendations on hotels or activities? What area(s) have you stayed in and which would you recommend for a honeymoon? We'd like to try and avoid super-crowded beaches if we can.

CaribbeanSoul May 8th, 2007 08:10 PM

We there in November 2005 for 10 days and departed on Thanksgiving Day. Our last two days were very stormy and kicked up the sea something fierce! For Negril standards, anyway. Our days leading up were very nice, however.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...108AcMWTdi5ctU

Also, the Rockhouse is not on the beach. Try Idle Awhile for a true beachfront boutique hotel experience....one of the best Negril has to offer.

KVR May 9th, 2007 03:43 AM

When went to Negril in November '06. Stayed at the RIU Tropical Bay, which I would NOT recommend for a honeymoon. However, across the street there is Sunset at the Palms we wished we would have stayed at. They have cute treehouse type rooms and caters to couples and honeymooners. They are not adult only, but not really recommended for families. The hotel is across the street from the beach, but we didn't think it was that big of a deal. It is all-inclusive.

Also look at Couples Negril or Couple Swept Away. We wanted to stay at Couples Negril, but it was out of our budget for our 3rd Caribbean trip of the year, so we got stuck at the RIU. Won't make that mistake again. We are currently in the process of booking Couples Ocho Rios for our end of the year trip. Looks like we'll have to go first week of December instead of our typical November time frame. We have traveled the first week of November since 2002 and have found the weather fine at every destiantion we picked.

As for things to see and do in the Negril area; We did the Black River/Appleton Rum/YS Falls Tour. It's a very long day, but we got to see lots of the countryside and we really enjoyed it. We also went to May Field Falls. Very nice. We took a taxi from the hotel and went to Margaritaville and the the craft market and then on another day took a taxi to Rick's Cafe. We had dinner on the roof top resturant and watched the cliff jumpers and then just enjoyed the live band.

tivertonhouse May 9th, 2007 05:13 AM

If patterns hold true, hurricane season tends to end the last week in October, with heavy groundseas kicked up that
can be just as destructive as tropic
storm winds. End of November can be
rainy, can be sunny -- tho the early
advent of 'Christmas rains' can come in
on both coasts. It's always a crap shoot anywhere this time in the Caribbean and almost worldwide for guaranteed sun (The Gambia, West Africa
is your best bet there). The lack of predictable weather due to whether there's an El Nino still in the Pacific shouldn't deter your plans. Port Antonio will likely be rainiest and
South Coast driest with Negril and stretch from MoBay to Ochie somewhere
in-between.

You can score some very good deals (see luxurylink.com) for off-season. For a
honeymoon and accomodations in your
pricerange, you might shortlist:

Tensing Pen and Rockhouse or Catch A Star cottage== all on the cliffs, in Negril (cab it down to the beach which is less private).

Jamaica Inn/outside Ocho Rios, Round Hill/outside MoBay on the north coast,if you can score a deal.

Mar Blue in Treasure Beach on the remote
South Coast is another small Euro-Jamaican small boutique hotel noted for its food and many guests from this forum here.

'Authenticity' is something you're unlikely to find in the all-inclusives and chain resorts.

beachbum2 May 9th, 2007 05:28 AM

Rockhouse is a great choice. We walked the property....very nice. I am now a cliff girl when it comes to Negril. You can always get a pass to beach hotel and head to the beach for a day or 2. We stayed at the Caves and it was amazing if you can swing the higher price. We had passes to Idle A While for a day. It was a nice resort, but very small and in the middle of all the hussle and bussle (sp?) of the Negril beaches (if that is what you want). We walked down to Tensing Pen to visit a couple we met. It was beautiful too and I would head there in a second. Breakfast is included at Tensing Pen and there is a small grocery store accross the street to buy Red Stripe/snacks/etc for a reasonable price. Rockhouse, Catcha or Tensing Pen will fill your needs at under $300 a night but not all inclusive. The caves is all inclusive but quite a bit higher. You can't go wrong with any of the cliff choices. It's just a different experience than the typical carribean beach. As for the waters....like the above posters mentioned...who knows. You take that chance. If it's rough, you can head to the beach and hope that there is beach to sit on.

liza May 9th, 2007 06:07 AM

Catcha's rates include breakfast served on your cottage porch, and they will cook any other meals you'd like but the food bill - and perhaps a small fee - is on you. Several restaurants very close by though.

FYI some resorts offer "passes" to hotels which probably allows you to use their facilities, but most hotels and all restaurants/bars on the beach will let you do that if you buy something, and the beach itself is public and free.

The waters are calm in that area or they are not...changes daily. Most often they are calm but you just never know.

eyeski May 9th, 2007 07:42 AM

We usually go the first week in December and have had great weather. Our last trip, we heard the waves were coming over the seawall the previous week at The Caves, so you never know. It is nice to go at the end of the off-season, good rates and not too crowded.

snooks May 9th, 2007 01:42 PM

You guys have been great with all your advice! We're contemplating maybe doing a combo of a large, all-inclusive, say in the Ocho Rios or Montego Bay area, then a few nights in Negril on the cliffs. Would that be worth it?

beachbum2 May 9th, 2007 02:41 PM

I think spliting is a great idea. You will really get the best of both worlds. You will love all the great aspects of Jamaica. I think that is what makes it such a great island. There are great beaches, the cliffs, falls. It is a lush island with lots to do. I can't help with beach hotels in MoBay or Ochos in that price range, but some of the nicer hotels will still have great rates at that time of year. Round Hill and half Moon are both higher, but check for specials. Also ask here. The Fodorites are great.

bean11 May 10th, 2007 05:09 AM

I've been to Jamaica 5 times in either November or December. Weather was great every time. I guess my only concern would be whether the resort was hit by a hurricane earlier in the season and not repaired up to snuff by the time you get there. I know they have money back guarentee's but that would still be a bummer for a planned Honeymoon. We've been to Sandals MoBay and Negril several times and have always had a great time. We hope to get back ourselves to Sandals MoBay in November.

snooks May 11th, 2007 07:29 AM

I appreciate everyone's input so much! This has proven to be an invaluable resource in my planning!

Ok, so weatherwise most think it is ok to go at the end of November, so that's a relief.

We've decided it is a must to go to the cliffs in Negril. We're debating b/w Rockhouse and The Caves.

We'd like to start our honeymoon on the beach, then finish it off at the cliffs. Is Negril the best beach in Jamaica? Any other recommendations for a great beach? And a great hotel on the beach? If we do the split, then we can afford to spend more for a more luxurious hotel, either beach or cliffs, if that helps.

It is our honeymoon, so we'd like to indulge for at least part of the trip :)

tivertonhouse May 11th, 2007 07:39 AM

The Caves and Idle-A-While might prove the best Negril combo.

eyeski May 11th, 2007 08:09 AM

I don't know, our combo of The Caves and Moondance last trip would be hard to beat.

Thinking about the owner's villa at Nirvana next time.

beachbum2 May 11th, 2007 11:30 AM

I agree if it is in the budget, I'd go with Moon Dance Villas and the Caves with the caves last. There are plenty of good, but reasonable places to walk and eat on the beach as well as Patty Mon for lunch. Take a look at Idle A While or Sunset at the palms (although that is AI too) you can't afford both MDV and Caves. I can only go by our caves experience vs other places we've stayed, that I would do the Caves, especially for a honeymoon. If I was with another couple, then I may do Rockhouse or Tensing Pen, but the caves is set up for romance and is perfect for a honeymoon. I LOVED it there as a romantic getaway. I think you will enjoy the beach at Negril over a long distance to travel between your resorts. Negril beach is fun and you would have to spend several hours in a car to get to another great beach.

snooks May 15th, 2007 08:33 PM

So, after reading everyone's responses, is it safe to say that The Caves wins over the Rockhouse? We'll only have 3 nights, maybe 4, at either hotel, so which should it be, folks? If we do the Caves, the AI is nice not having to worry, but will we miss not eating out? I'm really torn between the 2!

Crypto2457 May 16th, 2007 05:59 AM

Snooks for our Honeymoon we went to Sandal Grand Resort Ocho Rios. It was great all inclusive and I think we paid 1500 per week per person. By the way it is quiet . Only Couples NO Kida. One thing though. Don't leave the resort unless you are with people from the resort. The natives will try to sell you drug and it is dangerous. We had an airport emplyee in Montego Bay try to sell us weed. They use a code word "Bob Marley". I sware this is no joke.

rastavibes May 16th, 2007 08:30 AM

Stick with Negril...You won't regret it. Safer than Mo Bay and Ochi and a lot more fun. Not to mention walking the streets and beach is why I go there.

beachbum2 May 16th, 2007 02:45 PM

If you eat out while on the beach, you will not miss not eating out at the caves. The meals are wonderful. We never wanted for anything as they offered jamaican breakfast and other jamaican specialties throughout the menu. It's a once in a lifetime place that you will be sure to return to.