Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Jamaica - Half Moon or Ritz Carlton (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/jamaica-half-moon-or-ritz-carlton-667628/)

vacationtimeagain Jan 5th, 2007 05:11 PM

Jamaica - Half Moon or Ritz Carlton

We are traveling with another couple and will have 2 toddlers with us. Both hotels seem great, is one better than the other?

marbleheadguy Jan 5th, 2007 05:20 PM

half moon if thats the choice...neither actually.

vacationtimeagain Jan 5th, 2007 05:31 PM

Is there another choice that is better?? Is that what you mean by neither.

JAGIRL Jan 5th, 2007 07:57 PM

Ritz if you're traveling with kids.

MarionCK Jan 6th, 2007 07:40 AM

I think you should also take a look at Round Hill. Lots of options for families, including a staffed villa, within the resort. They have a program for children...The Pineapple Club, while giving the adults time at the spa :-)

The location is much better, IMHO, than either the Ritz or Half Moon, and will have more of the traditional Jamaican *feel* .

Marion

vacationtimeagain Jan 8th, 2007 08:07 AM

We definetly are staying at the Ritz or Half Moon, I am looking at the Royal Suite room at Half Moon and have heard they are all not renovated. is that true and are the unrenovated ones not nice? Also, we are not being guarenteed ocean view which we want and hear the garden views are a bit far away. cn anyone give me some insight on this and any recommendations. The Ritz we hear are nice and ocean view but less activites for us and the kids.

barbados5 Jan 8th, 2007 08:56 AM

Out of the 2. I would do Halfmoon. They have an entire childrens village. The property is vast and there is so much for children to do and adults. I would not hesitate to use their babysitting services because I fell in love with just about all employee's at Halfmoon.They go above and beyond, with a wonderful smile.
As far as the Ritz. I am not a big fan of Ritz in general. I find it to be too prentious and snotty and they basically to me look like a chain hotel.
You won't be disapointed in Half moon.

barbados5 Jan 8th, 2007 09:01 AM

I was at Halfmoon in November and at that time they were just about done with the Royal suiete's.I have stayed in the Royal a couple of years ago and found them quite nice then. Now I am sure they will be amazing.
Look at a junior suite.A huge room with a pull out couch. It is more than enough room for a family of 4.

family4travel Jan 8th, 2007 10:16 AM

We stayed at the Ritz in Jamaica before we had children, and it was absolutely lovely. However, I probably wouldn't stay there with toddlers. Most Ritz Kids programs require the kids to be at least 5 yrs. I also recall the beach being a bit rocky, and the Ritz pool is not designed for really young kids. It's not a zero-depth pool and there really isn't a shallow end for little ones to splash about. There was only one pool when we were there in 1998, so hopefully that has changed. I've always appreciated resorts that have an adults-only pool and a family pool.

Never stayed at Half Moon but my sister-in-law did, and she thoroughly enjoyed it.

padams421 Jan 8th, 2007 10:47 AM

We've only stayed at the Ritz. We had a nice stay with our kids but they were school age and not toddlers. I wouldn't stay there with toddlers. Ritz kids' program does require kids to be 5. The beach is quite small, definitely below average and not what you would expect for a Ritz. I don't recall there being a kiddie pool. The pool is not a zero-depth one. We wouldn't go back to the Ritz.

momtravels2222 Feb 16th, 2007 10:09 AM

I highly recommend Half Moon Rose Hall. The food, atmosphere, water, pools are great. Water is shallow enough for the children to play at the shore line. I will warn you about the dolphin swim. Four of us were inappropriately touch by the assistants in the water. Hold onto your bottoms they may come off during the dolphin push-while being video taped. Something they fail to mention to you.