Jamaica for Lesbian Couple?

Old Feb 10th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Jamaica for Lesbian Couple?

We are thinking of taking a trip to Jamaica - we'd be staying at the Ritz in Rose Hall. Is Jamaica safe for a lesbian couple? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 05:49 AM

A Ritz in a Ritz and this one is self-centric and not esp. Jamaican. You'll feel safe but the family-style with lots of kids may not be your cup of tea. Lesbians generally fly under the radar on island, and while Jamaican attitudes towards differing sexuality can be hostile, most of the fury is reserved for gay men. As long as you don't wear your sexuality on your sleeve or PDA/public displays of affection, you should not have problems. But why The Ritz here? It could be anywhere. Arguably, you'd have a better holiday and experience more on island by staying in Port Antonio (Hotel Mockingbird Hill, lesbian-friendly) or in the country in Treasure Beach/wide range of accomodations or at Jackie's on the Reef in Negril, woman-centric spa style.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 05:58 AM

Yes, I think tivertonhouse has hit the nail on the head. Hotel Mockingbird Hill would be a fine choice, but it's a bit out of the way.

If you really want an upscale resort experience, then I'd recommend Grand Lido Negril, which I believe you will find very friendly and accommodating.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 07:37 AM

Contrary to Doug, would not recommend GLN as again, you'd simply feel out of place in a straight couples place with a prude/nude beach set-up and a little too much frou-frou, tho the
welcome would be friendly. If you're
hell-bent on no-brainer resort holiday where you can just decompress, not worry and start to
enjoy what's outside the resort for a daytrip or two, would recommend:
1) The Caves -- Negril/twice the
price of GLN and worth every penny
2) Tensing Pen -- Negril
3) L'Antrissant villa -- Negril
4) A private villa at Round Hill
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies. We'll be looking into all options...
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 04:51 PM

I can second The Caves recommendation. I think anyone would be happy/comfortable there!