Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Jamaica Currency & Prices? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/jamaica-currency-and-prices-226772/)

goldie May 31st, 2002 07:25 AM

Jamaica Currency & Prices?

So I hear that one American dollar equals about 40 Jamaican. Does this really mean much? How expensive will I find things to be? Is the American dollar widely excepted? Should I bother with currency exchange?<BR>Thanks

tivertonhouse May 31st, 2002 07:55 AM

Rate floats/47JA=1US. Changing money best done at a cambio like THE GEMINI SHOP,Gloucester Ave,MoBay ;Nova Scotia Bank also reliable rates/traveller's cheques incur nominal changing fee. US dollars widely accepted, though change will often be in Jamaican. In Negril,<BR>US is the norm/outside Negril on the South Coast, either.Bring lots of US$1s,$5s,$10s --nothing larger than a 20.

Penney May 31st, 2002 01:08 PM

I would not bother exchanging money - we have been to Jamaica 6 times and never have. They take the American dollar happily!

Laches Jun 1st, 2002 08:13 PM

If you do exchange money, DO NOT EXCHANGE AT THE AIRPORT!! The rate at the airport was 43/1 and at the resort it was 47/1. I found it sorta fun to use the JA money, but everyone is right. The U.S. dollar is accept as much as the Jamaican dollar.....and yes to lots of $1, $5, $10. Yoou would only need larger than $20 if you are buying something like a nice piece of art or a box of Cuban cigars, etc.......

goldie Jun 3rd, 2002 05:54 AM

Wow, Thank You!<BR>I think I know everything I need to know now. Again, thank you for your responses. <BR>Smile

Alma Jun 3rd, 2002 11:43 AM

Goldie dahling!!<BR>YES YES YES exchange your money! Believe me, life is much easier in Negril when you have the currency of the locals in your pocket! Seriously, unless you're locking yourself in at some AI (in which case, I'd suggest skipping Negril...there's far too much to see and do to never leave an AI)...go ahead and make the exchange. <BR><BR>IMHO, you're more in control when you don't have to deal with the US dollar---sure, it's happily accepted, but things are PRICED in JA dollars...so unless you're a super math whiz and don't feel any need to bargain, you can get really screwed up!!<BR><BR>Things are very decently priced---a cab should be negotiated depending on how many people, where you're going, etc. For example...a cab from the cliffs to mid-beach---try $200J for 2 people (or even better, take a route cab----dirt cheap--like $60J AND you get to meet some cool locals and school kids who use the cabs). <BR><BR>Defnitely agree with the Cambio suggestion! Never ever exchange at the airport---bring some singles along, a fiver or so ---to TIP your driver from Sangsters to Negril...otherwise, I've found that travelers cheques are much more safe (mostly cause I lose things a lot). There are several cambios---make nice with your driver and ask him to take you to one, or even the Scotia Bank at the roundabout.<BR><BR>Happy trails!

goldie Jun 4th, 2002 07:23 AM

Alma, your a peach!<BR>Thanx, I plan on exchanging my money for souveneirs and odds & ends. And I will keep a little in American. I will be certain not to exchange at the airport too.<BR>You know, I would like to go to a club, but I am wondering if that is a good idea. Is that the safest thing to do? <BR>Thanks Alma, take care.

d motl Jun 4th, 2002 04:00 PM

We have a 7 page first timers brouchure on Negril which we will e-mail you if you request Dan and Ginny