Reload this Page >

Jamaica airport question re confiscation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Carla

Not really a question of HUGE importance, but i'm curious. On my way out of Montego Bay, Jamaica (to the next mosquito infested portion of my trip), one of the security personnel confiscated my closely guarded bottle of DEET insect repellant. When I pointed out to her that it was not an aerosol container, but rather a pump spray, she stated that it was "flammable" and, therefore, was not allowed in carry-on luggage. Fine. I didn't argue with her, but in the meantime, I see tourists getting through with multiple bottles of overproof rum? So, what gives? Can anyone satisfy my curiosity?

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 01:25 PM
tivertonhouse

Luck of the draw,Carla. I've never had anyting confiscated at MoBay customs; you probably just drew an overzealous security person due to the latest strictures. Normally, they're more on the lookout for incoming smuggled steaks/fresh fruit/veg and outgoing, ganja.

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 05:26 PM
joan

T, you mean you can't bring in food for your villa rental?

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 06:20 PM
Dawn

Hi Carla,<BR>That happened to us in Thailand. They couldn't figure out my OFF aerosol so they took it. Beats me. I guess aerosol beats out over alcohol.

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 03:00 AM
tivertonhouse

Bringing food into Jamaica for your villa: This is what we advise our guests: " Do NOT bring fresh meats (steaks, bacon, sausages,for example)or<BR>fresh fruit and vegetables into Jamaica as these items will be confiscated and you'll make someone at customs very,very happy. Boxed/Canned/jarred goods are fine, ditto cheeses,sweets,plus, GOOD wine/bourbon/rye/scotch/whiskeies which are either pricey or unfound on island. Coffee beans ,honey, sugar are sometimes confiscated, though rarely. Given the high quality of all 3 in Jamaica, bringing them in would be like carrying coals to Newcastle anyway. Bring your artificial sweetener,tho. Jamaica is not only wisely protecting its national products , it is guarding its natural resources and bacterial resistance (as in the case of the honey industry).