Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Jamaica Advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/jamaica-advice-831165/)

KeeganMJ Mar 15th, 2010 07:09 PM

Jamaica Advice

Just returned from Jamaica.

Do not check a bag coming or going. Carry on only! Our group all had their bags opened and numerous items stolen. We were told by the baggage staff in Atlanta that they see it every trip!

Also, do not venture past your resort borders. The walk on the beach in jamaica is a mugging waiting to happen.

GeriD Mar 15th, 2010 07:41 PM

So sorry to hear this. I'm trying to plan a short (5 day) vacation in May for me and my husband. I was thinking about Jamaica. (We've never been outside U.S.) It sounds so beautiful. But we'd like to wander and get to know the culture/history of the area. Do you think we should look elsewhere?

chgeeb Mar 16th, 2010 05:58 AM

Where in Jamaica were you? Sounds to me like it was a bad trip.
I went to Jamaica with friends, to Negril, and absolutely loved it. I would go back in a heartbeat if I could! It's so gorgeous there, and everyone we met there were friendly and helpful.
The piece of advice that we heard before we went: Don't wander dark alleys/beaches at night (pretty common sense).

Other than that, I felt safe the entire time, and during the day the beaches/cliffs were gorgeous and great to relax at!

Knowing Mar 16th, 2010 06:46 AM

We just returned from Jamaica last month and had no problems at all! In fact, we have never had a problem with Jamaica! Just an FYI - in visiting over a dozen Caribbean islands, we usually have had our luggage opened. They feel it's their job....and the baggage staff sees it on ALL the islands - not just Jamaica.
Geri, Jamaica IS beautiful. I really did not want to leave again on this trip. My husband wants to go back again on our next trip. Wonderful people. Do your wandering during the day and you will never feel unsafe. Many of the epeople we met on this trip are frequent travelers to Jamaica. If there was a problem, they wouldn't be going back!

KVR Mar 16th, 2010 06:59 AM

A full trip report with specific details would be much more helpful than vauge negative comments which only purpose is to unnecessarily scare people who haven't been yet.

I agree with Knowing. We loved Negril, but we properly did our research before going. We walked the beach during the day. No one even spoke to us. We hired a cab driver at the resort to take us out at night, who stayed within reach at all times. We also did organized tours offered by the resort to see the beautiful country. We were not hassled at the airport by anyone.

People, do the research and then use common sense. Don't let unverified information scare you off from a great destination.

suze Mar 16th, 2010 07:24 AM

I would not pay attention to this post without the person providing some details.

You shouldn't have anything expensive (easily stolen) in your checked bags anyways, nothing special about Jamaica for that. Of course they go thru your bags, that's standard anywhere.

"A mugging waiting to happen" with no substantiating background story is nothing I'm going to pay attention to myself.

I'm off to Negril (for the 3rd time) later this year, and can't wait!

Weadles Mar 16th, 2010 12:55 PM

We absolutely love Jamaica and have been going to Negril almost every year ( sometimes twice or three times a year) for a really long time. We don't walk the beach really late at night, and only hire licensed/insured taxis for our trips to the cliffs and elsewhere, but have never encountered problems of any kind. Jamaicans ( for the most part!) are incredibly welcoming to tourists. There is really nothing to be afraid of if you are respectful, curious, and use some common sense.

Oh, and just for the record, we've had our checked luggage opened/inspected almost every time that we've flown in the last several years. I don't think this is particular to Jamaica, and it's one of the main reasons why I never pack anything of value in a checked bag.

sherhatfield Mar 17th, 2010 05:05 PM

I love Jamaica and I'm headed there this weekend. Luggage gets checked on many flights all over the world so it isn't just a Jamaica thing.

As with anywhere you travel, you should always be cautious and mindful of your surroundings. I can get mugged in downtown Baltimore just as easily as anywhere else.

alya Mar 29th, 2010 11:22 PM

Yeah, Jamaica is really scary :) So much so that we're going back again. Nevis is just too hard to get to since Four Seasons closed for repairs, so Jamaica it is!

Weadles - if I remember correctly you've stayed at Cocolapalm?

I've just booked a week mid-June to recover from our DD's wedding in England and would be interested if you have a suggestion as to which Junior King suite to request.

I'm going to email CarribeanSoul also to get his feedback.

Thanks.

BillKramer Apr 4th, 2010 10:27 AM

Once you go, you know. Jamaica is a wonderful place. Sorry to hear the original poster had such a bad time. I live in Negril for the winter months and find it absolutely great.

spook Apr 4th, 2010 06:36 PM

I'm sorry but I have to call it like it is. The original poster puts the doof in doofus.