ABC Islands-a few questions...

Old Aug 10th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABC Islands-a few questions...

I am in the initial planning stages for a trip to these islands next summer-we will have 2 weeks. We will be traveling from the east coast the last 2 weeks of July. It will be our first trip to the Caribbean. Our last 3 summer vacations have been spent in Hawaii but we need a break from that trip!! We love snorkeling, nice beaches, and sightseeing.

1. Would it be crazy to try to visit all three islands-4 to 5 nights each? (They all seem quite unique with different strenghts/weaknesses).
2. How easy are the flights (? similiar to the interisland flights in Hawaii-reasonably quick, cheap and convenient).
3. If you had to pick only 2 islands, where would you go and why?
4. Wondering how to pronounce Curacao?
5. Recommendations for a good travel guide for the ABC islands.
Thanks for helping!
Laurie
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 04:09 PM
CF

Have been to all three islands...pronounce it cure-a-sow.
In order of preference...Bonaire, the BEST snorkeling ever, Aruba, great beaches, Curacao mediocre after seeing the other two.

The only problem with moving that many times, you spend a lot of time packing, waiting at airports, waiting to check in to the new hotel...unpacking...

Needless to say, if I had to pick two, it would be Bonaire and Aruba for the reasons mentioned above.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 04:24 PM

We're in reverse here. We are going to Hawaii this winter, because as splendid as the Caribbean is, we need a break from it. Would it be crazy to visit to try to visit all three? Did you split islands in Hawaii? (It sounded like maybe you did).If so, that would merely be the equivalent. Curacao is our favorite island. There are a lot of beaches to try, some secluded coves, fun for splashing in, and good snorkeling and swimming. Lots of sightseeing. The island is pronounced Cure-a-sow. You can call the Curacao tourist board at 800/3-curacao or check out their website at www.curacao-tourism.com.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 03:13 AM

Not to go against the grain here, but the proper pronunciation is actually cur-uh-sow (sow as in pig). We locals don't pronounce it with a long "u."

I think that you could easily see all three islands in two weeks, but as others mentioned, you will spend a lot of extra time sitting in airports waiting on flights. First thing I would check is the flight schedules for each inter-island transfer and bear in mind that the local carriers change schedules frequently.

Good luck in your plans.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. It looks like we will be going in and out of Aruba with Delta-any recommendations for which airline for the inter-island flights?