Jalousie --St. Lucia in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the 4 very top restaurants on the island-----fine dining and fish traps on the ocean? Is Dasheen REALLY good?

Also, what are the top 4 attractions? Has anyone taken the high speed catamaran out of Dominica from St.Lucia to Martinique?

Thanks. Have read the archives----alot to sift through. Is there a place like Asolare in St.Lucia in terms of atmosphere/food?

Old Mar 7th, 2004, 04:21 PM

Hi croix,

Do you know where you will be staying on the island?

Traveling from one end of the island to the other, at night isn't the most convenient. There are great restaurants to try on both ends. Sundown is at 5:30 6'ish year round in St.Lucia.

Dasheene of course is a must do if for the atmosphere/view alone. Our meals were wonderful. Pick a night that they have a steel/pan band playing, it sets the scene just perfectly.

The Anse La Raye fish fry on Friday evenings is also fast becoming the favorite of folks visiting the island. We won't miss this next time. Lobster I don't think is in season in July, but great fresh fish.

Donna
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Sailor, Thanks.

Will be at the Jalousie Hilton near the Pitons and Soufriere. We were planning on Dasheene---will have 2 children with us 7 and 9.

Anse La Raye looks reasonably close to us. Would you cab it or drive?

Also, is Soufriere safe---during the day time with the family and getting groceries etc.?

Any recomendations on lunch spots with views on a day's drive from Soufriere up to Castries?

This island seems intimidating having been going to St John, Cayman and others like it in past.

Thanks.

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 08:20 AM

Hi croix,

I personally think that for your own peace of mind, as far as driving and safety goes. You will be over all more comfortable, relaxed, and able to enjoy the sites, towns and scenery to it's full advantage with leaving the driving up to the taxi/guides. The taxi drivers are all basically trained to be your guide also, they are so excited to show you their island, and the best stops here and there along the way with great info. on the island. They are always looking out for you in your best interest.

The driving in St.Lucia is opposite the US, mountainous, with extremes in steep grades, extreme in hair pin turns, no guard rails or shoulders on the sides for stopping or error, poorly marked roads and the locals drive very fast under these conditions. It is a set up for some extremely nervous driving if you are trying it yourself.

My husband a I are lovers of adventure travel, and always rent a car/jeep for exploring islands, but, for our first time in St.Lucia we were very happy we didn't. We wouldn't have been able to enjoy it as much as we did if we had been worrying about navigating the roads. We would have missed out on to much looking at the road instead of the scenery. We may rent next time in St.Lucia for a few days, but, still, can't decide if it would be worth it. It was just so nice to have a guide and someone with, that knew just where we were going and where we wanted to be!

You can always decide after you get there to rent!

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 09:34 AM

Dasheene was definitely the best meal I ate on St. Lucia--far better than most of the meals served at the Jalousie. But don't worry--the spectacular setting usually more than made up for any mediocre food. Definitely plan to get to Dasheene before sunset so you can enjoy the view.

We also dined for dinner at Anse Chastenet, but I can't remember the name of the restaurant there. The food was pretty good, but not spectacular, and I don't think I would do it again because the taxi fare added up to an expensive meal.

One thing you should do with the kids is go next door to Bang Between the PItons on the night they have their weekly entertainment. (I think it was Wednesday when I was there.) Reservations definitely recommended, as the place packs to the gills! They offer live music, fire eating, limbo, magic tricks, juggling--I think kids would have a ball there. The food is fresh and the roasted coconut shavings as appetizer were the one of the tastiest things I ate on St. Lucia. They roast and salt the coconut and oddly enough it tastes like popcorn. Anyway, very reasonable prix-fixe three course meal with all the rum punch you can drink. I think it ended up being between $15-20 US per person. Hope you have a wonderful time!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 09:39 AM

Forgot to mention that you and your family might enjoy the botanical gardens with the natural springs. The gardens are truly lovely and tons of butterflies and hummingbirds flit through the walkways. There are a couple of waterfalls, one of which feeds a natural pool where you can swim, or at least immerse as the pool is rather small.

I would probably skip the drivethrough volcano with kids as the smell will probably make them unhappy and the landscape, while of geological interest, doesn't hold a lot of visually interesting things to divert one's attention from the sulfur. My clothes still smelled at the end of the day.

We felt perfectly safe doing a little grocery shopping in Soufriere--we bought some snacks, mixers, gin, and rum to keep in our fridge at Jalousie. There is also a lovely little church in the downtown area. Other than that, we did not explore the town. Have a great time!
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 06:48 AM

Good info. from ejcrowe .

I also agree try not to miss the party at Bang (Cafe Beau), It is right next to the Pier Restaurant at the Jalousie. Wednesday night has been the night.

The Beach Calypso
Party at the Jalousie is on Friday Nights, with a similar type show. This is the same night as the fish fry at Anse La Raye. I think if you go to Bang's party on Wednesday night I personally would pick the fish fry at Anse La Raye over the beach party at the Hilton. Anse La Raye is probably about 30 min. from the resort. Some resorts are offering organized groups to the fish fry, maybe the Jalousie is doing this also now.

http://www.heritagetoursstlucia.com/..._raye_tour.htm

This is a tentative schedule for entertainment at the various places. Bang is never listed as the owner ( Lord Glenconnor) does not believe in advertising.

http://www.stlucia.org/activity/nightlife.asp

Anse Chastenet resort is a nice place to spend the afternoon and have lunch. Neat, exotic natural silver, gray sand beach, snorkeling in their marine reserve, bring your equipment from the Jalousie, Bike St.Lucia is there, with trails you can walk on, an old plantation. There is a secluded beach there also. Anse Chastenet is a 5 min boat taxi away.

The resort offers organized, or you can hike your selves to Piton falls. It is right out side the entrance of the Jalousie. It is a thermal, water fall mineral bath. $2 entrance fee.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Ejcrowe & Sailor,

Thanks so much for the wealth of info. All of the jump ups sound good----we will have two children with us 7 and 9.

Is the Anse La Raye one good for all types of people or is it rowdy and not good for children?

Thanks.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 09:42 AM

I'm going out on a limp here as I have not been there myself yet.

My impression has been that at Anse La Raye a small fishing village, the locals get together on Fridays, set up their grilles/tables and cook up the catch of the day. I would imagine their would be locals playing island music, etc. More focus on the fish fry then as a street party. On a smaller scale, you will see this in other towns also, it is just there way of life. Even in Soufriere, locals in front of their homes set up grilles and cook up offerings. It has just become more organised in Anse La Raye. I think this would be great for the kids.

I don't think it is the same atmosphere as the Gros Inlet Street party that the locals bring out huge speakers for music, dancing and drinking and eating in the streets until the wee hours of morn. Not the atmosphere for children.

Donna