Jalousie or Ti Kaye or Private Villa Rental?

Jun 6th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Jalousie or Ti Kaye or Private Villa Rental?

In order of most expensive, these are our choices:

Ti Kaye - ocean front cottage w/private pool
Jalousie Hilton - ocean view villa w/private pool
Private Villa Rental - in Soufriere, close enough to walk down to beach/bay - has staff including cook, private 2bed residence with pool

Oddly enough the Jalousie ($230/night) is less expensive than the Ti Kaye ($275/night) and of course the private villa ($175/night) is the least expensive.

Which would you choose? They're all in the same Soufriere/Pitons area. I'm leaning towards the villa, because it is less expensive - but it is it worth it? Are there more hassles with a private villa?

We're going in November - so no worries about kids at the Jalousie. We're not big eaters. We would be just as happy having a private cook make all our meals and just lounge around. We'll plan some soft adventure tours, but that's about it.

Anyone else rent a private villa before in St. Lucia? Or does everyone just go to the gaudy all-inclusive Sandals resorts?
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:22 PM

You should check out the stonefield estates villas- which are supposed to be terrific. www.stonefieldvillas.com. They have great views, prices and you can use the beach at the Jalousie. FYI-TiKaye- supposed to be very nice- but I heard that their beach can get very noisy and crowded with boats pulling in to do scuba/snorkel around a boat that was sunk in that cove.
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:43 PM

my husband and i loved the jalousie last feb. it's very quiet and romantic.the breakfasts were wonderfulinner were fair, but that wouldn't prevent us from going back. the staff was very friendly. the beach was so tranquil, surrounded by the pietons. one bit of advice-although it's costly, take the helicopter to from the airport. it's a killer taxi ride.
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:55 PM

We stayed at the Jalousie last summer for diving adn absolutely loved it--the villas with plunge pools were quite private but do take the plane from the airport!!!! jan
Jun 6th, 2003, 06:11 PM

We've been to St. Lucia twice, once we stayed at Anse Chastanet, and once we rented a private villa. The villa was located above the Ladera Resort, between the Pitons! Absolute heaven. Although villas are not for everyone (some people just want to be more pampered, don't want to fix their own meals AT ALL...) we enjoy cooking and the delicious privacy that comes with the villa experience. We loved coming home from a day of exploring and jumping nude into our pool! (I suppose you could do this at Jalousie too though). I'm surprised you're able to find a villa within walking distance of the beach - I'm thinking it's a very steep walk which you'll do once, and then drive to the beach after that? Our villa came with a cook/maid and a gardener. Well, she only stayed about 3 hours each day - if you wanted her to cook, she basically made dinner and put it in the fridge for re-heat. So if you're counting on being waited on, better check! (Funny story: we had brought filet mignons to grill, and through a miscommunication, we went out for the day and came back to the most expensive - although tender - beef stew I've ever eaten!)

Anyway, no hassles for us: we used a great villa company, they gave us a 7 page list of where to shop, what to see, do's and don'ts (DO NOT pick up hitchhikers in St. Lucia) they arranged a car rental - they met us at the airport and led the way to the villa, over an hour's drive, with a quick stop at a liquor shop for the necessary libations. Once there, the property manager came and showed us around, and then the place was all ours! Easy!

Go for the villa! (Can you post a link?)

P.S. We tried to stay at Stonefield too - it was booked for a wedding - have you checked it out?
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:32 PM

Hi Simone, Is the villa, Belle Coco, by any chance? If it is, Belle Coco looks wonderful from the web site. I have not stayed there.

Can give some comparisons if this is the villa?

Donna

Jun 11th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Yes - we are considering the villa coco something or other. George at caribbeanway.com was really nice. I highly recommend him for private villa rentals. He referred me to their wholesale air person and she got me better air rates than 2 other travel agencies I was talking to. The other poster above was right - it's a pretty steep walk down to the beach. Most likely we would drive down there. But, my husband loves the idea of having your own pool - so maybe we won't be going down to the beach every day anyway. We only considered this villa for our budget, had to keep accommodations per night to below $300. Plus - it's in the Sourfriere/Pitons area, which we like better than those in the north where all those gauche sandals resorts are.
Jun 12th, 2003, 07:09 AM

Hi Simone,

It sounds like you've made your decision? When do you go? I would love to hear about the experience when you return.
I have looked into Belle Coco with interest myself as a possiblity for our next trip to St.Lucia. We stayed at Ladera, the Jalousie Hilton and Sandals Halcyon (only could take one night of a Sandals,LOL).
I am having mixed emotions about whether I would be able to give up the convenience of the Jalousie beach(which we just loved) and the accessiblity to the restaurants/entertainment. It was really neat to be a part of the resorts at Ladera and the Jalousie.
Even though we had private/plunge pools at Ladera and the Jalousie. There is something that also appeals to us to have that total seclusion at Bella Coco with a 30ft pool? and the Price! You have to let me know how it goes, please!

Joan...Do you have any info./ site on the Villa above Ladera? Thanks

Donna
Jun 12th, 2003, 01:19 PM

HI Donna,
The reason I didn't post a link originally is because I'm having a hard time finding this villa on the internet. It was rented to us several years ago through villasstlucia.com, who became islandtrips.com. But if you look on their website, it isn't there anymore. There were actually two villas side-by-side: hermitage terrace and hermitage villa. We rented Hermitage terrace (they share a parking area but are secluded from one another). Did not see inside Hermitage villa, but the "Terrace" was actually built with 3-walls like the Ladera Resort - romantic!

Anyway, a google search turned up the sister villa, at a very wonderful price. But once again, I was not inside this villa. It would be worth emailing islandtrips.com and asking them about hermitage TERRACE. The owner was German, here's the website for the Hermitage Villa:
http://www.vacationvillas.net/index....ntal/20769.cfm

Good Luck!
Jun 12th, 2003, 09:21 PM

Thanks Joan,

What a price!!! I will be looking into this more, as, I have been considering taking my children (young adults)to St.Lucia. Was a little disappointed Bella Coca sleeps only 4 max. we would be 6. This would be iffy though, how can you take your kids to such a romantic place??? I hope to find the Terrace one also, that sounds interesting also, being the 3 walled like Ladera. Did you go to the beach very often, and which beach did you use?

Thanks again,
Donna
Jun 15th, 2003, 06:43 AM

HI Donna!
Yes we loved going to the beach (and exploring with our rental jeep too). And you're right - it's so romantic...but the kids loved it when we rented a villa with them on Tortola (that's another tale!). The beaches we used were Malgretoute, a public beach that was so-so. YOu had to drive on an unpaved road past an old folks' home to get there. Not as pretty as Jalousie and Anse Chastanet's beaches, more of a local's hangout. A/C's was the best - down a very rutted road, but once you got there, there was fantastic snorkeling, and a great restaurant, as well as shade trees. We spent alot of time relaxing at the villa, exploring the beautiful gardens surrounding it, feeding the "resident" doggie who you couldn't shut out - remember the 3 walls? But for some reason he knew not to go upstairs where the bedrooms were, just stayed on the patio.

This is making me want to go back!
Jun 22nd, 2003, 02:35 AM

We recently returned from St. Lucia, & we stayed at Belle Coco for part of our visit. It was a very beautiful house, but I have a small warning -- bugs, bugs, bugs! I don't think of myself as a picky traveler, but this really got to me after a few days. I don't know why, but the critters were a lot worse in that area of the island than in others.