Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Jalousie? or Better? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/jalousie-or-better-321170/)

semski May 27th, 2003 04:46 PM

Jalousie? or Better?

My fiancee and I are planning to be in St. Lucia on July 22-30th for our honeymoon. We have reservations at the Jalousie Hilton, but does anyone think there is a better option. We are looking to keep costs low, but from what I am reading, we are not going to be able to do that. Any suggestions on where to stay that is quiet, activity accessible, ocean view but reasonably priced???? Open to any suggestions!

ejcrowe May 28th, 2003 06:26 AM

The Jalousie is truly a beautiful property, full of things to do (or not, as you see fit), on a lovely beach with very romantic views. Unless you book a special rate with them, however, they're not particularly reasonably priced. It IS your honeymoon, however, and while I don't want to encourage you to spend beyond your means, I have to think that it's not the time for penny-pinching, either. Most of the other resorts in the south of St. Lucia are going to be in the same price range anyway, if not a little bit more expensive.

That said, Jalousie might not be your best choice. It depends on what you're looking for. I loved it when I stayed there in late July because it offered A/C in the villa suites, which I was glad to have that time of year. Other places, such as Anse Chastenet and Ladera, do not have A/C because their rooms are open air plans. They are both lovely and defnitely more exotic than Jalousie.

There's a relatively new place called Ti Kaye Village not far from Soufriere that you might want to check into. They're more reasonably priced than any of the above 3 places, and some of their cottages come with a plunge pool.

Another way to possibly save money is to go to www.luxurylink.com, as they often have very good package deals in the form of auctions. I hear that the villas at Stonefield Estate are less money than the resorts I mentioned, but I don't know anything else about them. Check out www.scubamom.com to see great reviews of Ti Kaye and Anse Chastenet.

Whatever you choose, you'll have a great time! Congrats on your upcoming marriage!

sailor May 28th, 2003 08:12 AM

Hi Semski,

In my opinion, the Jalousie and Ladera are in the most dramatic location on the island or in the Caribbean in general. It is a pretty special place there between the Pitons.
As far a better option? If you speak price, there are other very nice places that may fit your needs at a lower cost, you will be giving and taking with most of them. Not to say you can't have a great romantic honeymoon at any of them. It all depends of what your priorities are in your vacation?

Southern part of island, will have the more secluded, lush dramatic landscape, in close proximity to the Rain Forest, volcano, mineral baths, diving hot spots. This area is a nature lovers, romantics dream. Not a hot spot for night life. Most of the resorts as far as the Jalousie, Ladera, Anse Chastanet, do have nightly entertainment on most nights.
The Jalousie does encompass the full gamete of amenities and activities of a full service resort. The spa, tennis, sail boards, catamarans, dive shop, quiet secluded beach with snorkeling and diving from shore, 24hr room service, nice cottage rooms with plunge pools, etc.

A place for a lower price in this area, I would check out Stonefield Estates. These villas have kitchen facilities. A few have pools. The location is pretty and private. Stonefield shuttles guests to the Jalousie Hilton beach, daily. They have one restaurant on property that is supposed to be quite good

Check out Ti Kaye, its location is pretty, with water views from all the cottages. Not as dramatic of location, but beautiful. This again is a quiet secluded resort, dive shop, dark sand beach. Dive boats come to this area daily for snorkelers, beach can get busy once a day at times. Stairs to beach. This resort is getting great reviews. It is fairly new and the price with inclusions looks very good.

In the Northern part of island, it is more traditional, populated and busier, with more night life then is available in the South. This area is not quite as lush or dramatic of scenery, but again it is pretty. Be aware that most of the resorts in the Northern area, other then if you stay in Rodney Bay/Reduit beach area, that you do also have to taxi off resorts, as the resorts in the Castries area and the Southern resorts.
For the more traditional type resorts, on a busier large beach, walk to town/restaurants would be in the Rodney Bay/Reduit beach area. Many lower cost resort packages available in this area and Castries.

One word of warning, we made the mistake of booking at the Sandals Halcyon and paying more then the cost of what the Jalousie Hilton would have cost us if we had booked first at the Hilton. The Sandals Halcyon couldn't even come close to comparing to the Jalousie Hilton and Ladera. When you pay the one time up front cost of the all-inclusive, you forget sometime just how expensive it is, for what you get.

Save your pennies, and dollars know and treat yourselves to a once in a life time vacation in a location that you will never forget. Go for the Jalousie and or Ladera!!! Or Ti Kaye or Stonefield or.......

Again a warning, as the Jalousie and Ladera or any of the resorts in the South, are for the romantic, adventurous. These resorts are not for the typical, partying, beer drinking/game playing that you may find at the ever so popular all-inclusives these days.

Donna

semski Jun 1st, 2003 07:31 AM

Thanks for your comments. They were all very helpful. We want the romance side of things though---will the Jalousie give that effect or is it really too "commercial" in nature? Does anyone think that a Sandals resort with a swimup pool would be better??

ckruse Jun 1st, 2003 08:36 AM

My husband and I took our kids (7 and 8) to Jalouise in January. When my husband and I want to get away for a romantic vacation, we go to places that don't allow kids. These types of resorts are geared towards couples and romance. Jalouise was definitely a family resort. If the thought of kids splashing you in the pool, or crying through your romantic dinner doesn't bother you (maybe it will prepare you for the future) then I would recommed Jalouise.

me Jun 1st, 2003 08:56 AM

Hi semski , the poster "sailor" gave you excellent advices on choices of resorts ,you got to be kidding if you think Sandals with swim-up pool is more ROMANTIC???You did booked THE unbeatable located hotel-Jalousie! - Ladera ,Anse Chastenet are also lovely!If you want something really exotic and special ,I would say Ladera .Congratulations.

sailor Jun 1st, 2003 04:35 PM

Hi Semski,
There isn't anything "commercial" about the Jalousie Hilton. There is no "Hotel" per say. Just basically the Main Plantation House that is very nice, nothing pretencous, but elegant. This building holds the reception, a couple of the restaurants, small gift shop and tour deck. The cottage/villa rooms are hidden hill side in the lush landscape.

As kcruse said, the Jalousie is a family resort. This is a good thing she brought this up. I would love to hear about how many children they ran across in January. With Sandals takeing over the Hyatt, it doesn't leave to many family resorts left in St. Lucia?

This was another reason we did not book at the Jalousie, I was thinking of it being the more typical family resort, with tons of kids around. We wanted Adults only no Kids! Another reason we booked the Sandals Halcyon, again, big mistake!

Having a couple of kids around had no baring on the romantic element of this resort, accommodations and location to us.

When we were there in June/2001 in the whole week, we only came across once each, one 5 year old, two teenagers, there scuba diving with parents, and once at the Pier Restaurant someone had a young child in a high chair. There was a couple of kids in the pool once when we were in it, but very well behaved, having fun but not a bother to anyone at all. If we had not seen any of these kids, we would never had known they were there. Don't forget that with the smaller amount of kids that you will find at the Jalousie, I would think they would be on the more well behaved side as if not they would really stick out.

At Sandals(couples only),seeing the extra ordinary amount of Adults that over indulged themselves, with the drink until you drop, cause ya know it's FREE, attitude. It was hard to even sit through the first nights entertainment. Had the most awful band, so loud it wasn't funny? Then they played the silly games, that we played in girl scouts. I was really looking forward to the activities and games per say, that Sandals is popular for (thought it would be fun), but this was insulting. And it wasn't just us, no one looked to be enjoying themselves, but the ones that had so much to drink they didn't know what was going on.

I'll take a few well behaved kids any day compared to that! I'd even take the unfortunate chance that you may run across a crabby two year old during dinner. I love to have fun, and have a great time when I'm out, but there is nothing romantic at all to me to see the clown drunk(adult) making a disturbance at dinner!

As far as the Sandals Grande, swim up rooms go. This resort it self to me is on the more "commercial" large hotel style place. Three/four or more large three story buildings that hold many units each. Lots more people, bar/game/activities, that some are looking for.

Donna

semski Jun 1st, 2003 05:54 PM

Awesome! Thanks for all your postings. I think we will stay with the Jalousie. We have a room with ocean view and private plunge pool. Hopefully it will be romantic and relaxed as well as have some activities to be adventurous too. Any other suggestions welcome. Hope we made the right choice. The sandals do not sound great to us, and we aren't into the "drinking, night life scene". Thanks again!

bg2003 Jun 1st, 2003 06:42 PM

Without a doubt, go to Ladera!!!!! This is one of the most memorable places that my wife and I have stayed. We make a point to stay in very charismatic places, but this one wins the award. Our room had 3 walls with one open overlooking the Pitons. It also had a waterfall and heated plunge pool in the room. Absolutely beautiful!!!! The chef's name is Nigel and he will make you a special desert if you like. The Jalouise is very nice as well (I love Hilton and am a Diamond HHonor member), but would stay at Ladera. The view is priceless!!! Have fun and rent a car to get around. There are many hidden treasures in St. Lucia and if you just stay at a resort, you are really missing out!!

keepitreal Jun 1st, 2003 07:17 PM

There is no doubt that Ladera is a very special place to stay. However, we gave Jalousie the edge on our honeymoon because: 1)the villas were so well appointed with the small luxuries (a/c, tv, phone, marble bathrooms)and offered the privacy we wanted; 2) the beach is right on the property and is only a brief shuttle ride away. The shuttles cruise the Jalousie property constantly so you can go back to your room at anytime you want; you cannot do that if you have a shuttle that brings you in from a remote property (such as Ladera); 3) we heard that plunge pools at some of Ladera's rooms were sometimes problematic because they could get cold; there have been no reports, as far as I know, that the Jalousie plunge pools get cold (they are not enclosed so they are heated by the sun); 4) the Jalousie is located right at the base of the Pitons and the view is absolutely spectacular. Also, the foliage surrounding you in your villa will remind you of being in the midst of an arboretum. The service is also great at the Jalousie. You have made a great choice Semski. Belive me, I did as much research as was possible to do before we settled on the Jalouise for our honeymoon and the Jalousie met and exceeded our very high expectations. Have a great honeymoon!

sailor Jun 1st, 2003 07:41 PM

I must say, after staying at Ladera and the Jalousie. Both are incredible in there own ways. We will always try to say at both again. LOL, I must get back there!!!

I would love everyone to experience at least 2 nights at Ladera, but, Semski was asking for a place to keep the cost down. Ladera wasn't in that bracket, as you MUST book the One bedroom deluxe suite at Ladera or you may end up with a cold plunge pool.
The Jalousie, also does encompass all you could want in a resort plus. Ladera is a bit riskier, to recommend with the open wall. This doesn't always sit well with some. To me, it was the most incredible experience. I would recommend anyone to try it for at least a couple nights. If the cost is right for you. You really can't put a price on the room we had there.

But....We just loved,loved also being a part of the Jalousie property for all that "keepitreal" stated. Are villa/suite ocean view in the 900s had another incredible view it was wonderful.

sailor Jun 1st, 2003 08:35 PM

Semski, I forgot to mention, if you would like a list, of $$ saving tips, and ideas for Jalousie, you can email me at [email protected] I can copy and past a post, I had done awhile back.

Donna

nuzzle77 Jun 20th, 2003 10:12 AM

Semski,
I HAD to write to you because my fiancee and I are going to St. Lucia and also staying at the Jalousie. We have the same type room you do (Ocean view villa w/plunge pool) however we will be there the week before you. From 7/14-7/19. We chose the Jalousie after much research and talk with people who had visited the island. And we decided that, like you, since we are not much into the crazy drunken night-life, The Hilton was perfect for us.
Good luck with your wedding and honeymoon, and if you want, I can let you know how it is when we get back!

-Jeremy

nickie Jun 20th, 2003 12:15 PM

Hi,

I thought I'd add my 2 cents. My husband and I spent a week at Jalousie and loved it. It is NOT a "family resort", although there were a few children there who were exceptionally well-behaved. Its location between the Pitons is spectacular, and quite romantic. We had a villa with an ocean view and a plunge pool, and it was very private. It is not a run-of-the-mill place; I think you made an excellent choice for a honeymoon. The food was excellent as well!
Congrats and have a fabulous time!

andy Jun 22nd, 2003 12:29 PM

Jalousie is FABULOUS!
Make sure you have the ocean view with the plunge pool..the beds have 4 posters and are terrific...VERY VERY romantic..

Hotel will pick you up and take you down to beach in jitney so you do not have to walk down the hill....

YOU WILL LOVE JALOUSIE!!

jlpx2 Jun 22nd, 2003 04:47 PM

I hope you stay with the Jalousie--we went there last fourth of July--stayed at one of the villas with a plunge pool--and althou we are A LOT OLDER--we found the resort to be very private and romantic--hope you decide to go there:)