Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Jalousie Hilton on St Lucia. SHOULD I STAY OR SHOULD I GO (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/jalousie-hilton-on-st-lucia-should-i-stay-or-should-i-go-115730/)

dave Mar 30th, 2001 06:40 AM

Jalousie Hilton on St Lucia. SHOULD I STAY OR SHOULD I GO

My financee and I are looking at the Jalousie Hilton and don't know if it would be a good fit for us. We're going in mid-Oct for our honeymoon. We're looking for great beaches with great restaurants. We want the feeling of being alone, but if we want to rage all nite that's an option too. Looking for a property with few children, but at the same time not a retiree function. I know this is a tall order to fill, but any and and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, good and bad. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Dave

Lara Mar 30th, 2001 06:51 AM

Hi Dave: <BR> <BR>Personally, I don't think it would be a good fit, for these reasons: <BR> <BR>1. Beaches are not great in St. Lucia. The one at Jalousie is man-made. <BR> <BR>2. "Rage all nite" not an option--Jalousie in the middle of nowhere. <BR> <BR>3. Lots of families at Jalousie and small kids. <BR> <BR>Have you considered Negril in Jamaica? Nice beach, lots of bars and nightclubs, several adults only resorts, youngish clientele, and few families. <BR>

Lizzie Mar 30th, 2001 08:02 AM

I completely disagree with the above poster. The Jalousie Hilton has one of the most breathtaking settings I have ever encountered. I spent ten days there in Feb. with my boyfriend and it was incredibly romantic. There are by no means *tons* of families with small children; there were a few families on the beach (which really is beautiful) but you don't even notice them. And, the families tend to eat early so it's not like you're going to run into them at dinner. Another choice is Ladera, which is right above Jalousie, beautiful rooms and view, and a fantastic restaurant. You will find no children there! We chose the Hilton because we wanted to be closer to the beach, though; Ladera guests have to take a shuttle. We had dinner at Dasheene at Ladera twice, and it was wonderful - and I would recommend it as a honeymoon destination to anyone. <BR> <BR>I wouldn't recommend Jamaica over St. Lucia but it's all a matter of personal preference. There are bars at the Hilton, and they'll stay open as late as you want them to, but it's not a huge raging scene. <BR> <BR>Good luck, and congratulations! <BR>L

Lara Mar 30th, 2001 09:24 AM

Hi all: <BR> <BR>I stand by the original posting! Lizzie, not disputing the lovely setting in the Pitons, but as far as the beach goes, well...there are a lot better on other islands. <BR> <BR>As for kids, I saw plenty at Jalousise and stand by my original observation. Although in Oct, may not be so bad as other times of the year. <BR> <BR>Personally, I prefer St. Lucia to Jamaica also, but they are completely different. Based on Dave's comments, I don't think the slow pace of St. Lucia and the Jalousie would be his style. <BR> <BR>Dave, what other places are you considering?

dave Mar 30th, 2001 09:36 AM

thanks so much for the insight on both ends of the spectrum. didnt' mean to stir up controversy :-O. as far as other options....wer are opened to any suggestions. when i said rage i didn't mean for the entire island to never sleep, but rather have the option. i guess what i'm saying is i don't want to go to an island that everything is closed at 10. if you have any suggestions, we're willing to hear them...thanks dave

xxx Mar 30th, 2001 10:21 AM

St. Martin (the french side) sounds like it would fit your bill. You may want to check into Barbados as well.

Kim Mar 30th, 2001 02:57 PM

We visited the Jalousie Hilton while we were in St.Lucia a few weeks ago. We were staying at Sandals St. Lucia and decided to go have lunch at that resort. To me it was over priced, a beautiful resort but I feel Sandals was much nicer.

Kim Mar 30th, 2001 03:02 PM

Sorry, but I have to say one more thing St. Lucia is a beautiful Island and Jamaica is also. St.Lucia has it good points it views are spectacular and the moutains are awsome. The weather was also perfect.

Jan Mar 30th, 2001 05:31 PM

My husband and I were there last October and would return in a heartbeat. The white sand beach is very nice and the property is absolutely breathtaking. We did not see many kids at all and felt it was a great getaway since we were looking for a somewhat private and secluded environment. There is not too much nightlife on the resort except for the Bang but you can take a quick taxi into town. We have been to many islands and many top notch resorts and we would rank the Jalouise as simply one of the best. <BR>