Jalousie Hilton Changing Ownership Soon??

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jalousie Hilton Changing Ownership Soon??

Message: Hello! My husband and I have a trip planned to St. Lucia - Jalousie Hilton - the first week in February and I've been reading as many reviews possible in order to best plan our trip. I've read a lot of posts about the Hilton changing ownership soon and the resort being run down with demotivated staff. If anyone has any information about this, please share -- I am very interested. I would also like recommendations on which villas to request, any other tips and tricks, etc. We'll definitely be taking the helicopter in!

Thanks!!
Kelly, Chicago
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 05:23 AM

It is all rumors at this point from what I was told last July. It may become a "One and Only" resort. My cousin was there last week and the road is mostly finished so no need for the heli unless you just want the view. Your booking should be honored though if it changes. Email the concierge there if you are concerned. Hope you have a nice trip.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 01:55 PM

croix, good to hear that road is almost finished! Did your cousin enjoy the Jalousie?

Donna
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 01:49 PM

Sailor, yes they loved it. It is real nice----I was there for two weeks last July and loved it. The only negative is the food is mediocre. The local food is better and you got it sometimes, but the childrens menu never changed. My cousin's wife liked it better than Guadelupe or Martinique.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

croix --
Thanks for the information on the resort ownership and the roads. Glad to hear the road work is getting done.I think we'll still take the helicopter for the view and to save time after traveling, but we'll definitely cab around to see the true beauty of the island during the week. As for the food, any suggestions for local restaurants would be great. I've heard great things about Dasheen, some people really like Bang (some don't) but anything else you can suggest near or far would be great. The only vacation spot I've been real impressed with food so far is Aruba -- but there are so many nice hotels and restaurants there you can't go wrong. So, we're not expecting much! Happy New Year and thanks!
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:14 AM

Kbark, the very best food we had was at Dasheen----we went about 6 times in 2 weeks with two children 7 and 9. The buffet when they had it and everything was good. The fine dining rest. at Jalousie was the best quality; however the italian night at the Pier was good. We ate lunch at Anse Chastanet and that was almost as good as Dasheen. If in Castries then the Coal Pot---very good fish for lunch.

We didn't try anywhere in Soufriere so I can't say. Not many restaraunts outside of the resort. Take a water taxi to Anse if you decide you want that.

You will love the Jalousie property and hope you have a wonderful trip!!!!!!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 03:15 PM

Kbark, just talked to my cousin. They did eat at a rest. in Soufriere across from the Texaco on the 2nd floor that was good creole and informal. Also the sulfur bar is good in Soufriere he said.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 07:01 AM

Regarding food quality, I found the fine dining room to be the least value and least quality, along with the Italian night buffet at the Pier. (Though I can see with children that the Italian night would be a good bet.)We thought the Plantation dining room was relying far too much on heavy European dishes that were not comfortable to eat in the tropics--lots of heavy sauces and next to no local influence. Different strokes for different folks, once again.

I thought they did a reasonable job with the breakfast buffet--it was the only meal that regularly featured fresh local produce. I also thought that their simpler fares were most successful--the beach BBQ, their sandwiches & salads at lunch, and when they offered fresh fish, which was not daily! Maybe because it's a corporate chain, but they don't utilize the fresh produce and seafood available all around them.

I loved the Wednesday night entertainment next door at Bang--there were more local food options and I loved the rum punches and the roasted coconut--they slice it, salt it and grill it and it was the best snack/appetizer I ate during my week in St. Lucia. I also recommend Dasheen at Ladera.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 02:36 PM

Ejcrowe, agree with all you said for the most part. The other restaraunts were bland and did lack local flavor---just got tired of them so the fine dining was heavier, but had more variety. With two children my bill there was never over $100/$125 with several drinks.

Did like Bang---good local fish etc. Did like the breakfast.

Boy, I would sure love to be there now!!
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your comments and helpful hints re: the Jalousie Hilton. We leave this Thursday and are very excited! We aren't expecting the world -- just a week in a beautiful setting away from the hustle and bustle of Chicago and work. I hope you all get to return soon too!

Kelly
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 08:05 AM

kbark, have a wonderful time, the Jalousie will hit the spot for you!

Check out this stlucia.org site they list the tentative schedules of nightly entertainment at various places at and around Jalousie and St.Lucia. Bang does not advertise, but the Caribbean Party there has always been on Wednesday nights. Also the Anse La Raye fish fry on Friday nights, has become a well liked local event to check out.

http://www.stlucia.org/activity/nightlife.asp

Don't forget to take a hike and a dip in the local thermal mineral bath waterfall (Piton falls) outside the entrance to the Jalousie. $2 entrance fee.

kbark, I have had contact with the Jalousie, a couple weeks ago, and no word on the Jalousie changing hands, (as of yet!) they said all is, as, usually as a Hilton. I hope you will check back in here, and let us know how your trip goes, and if you hear of any changes that might happen in the near future.

croix, good to hear your cousin, enjoyed their stay!

Can't wait to get back!
Donna
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 10:29 AM

Kbark, definitely do the jump up at Anse La Raye on Friday night---ask for Mango for a water taxi---that and taking the water taxi to Marigot bay for cocktails are our best memories and also snorkeling and having lunch at Anse Chastanet.

Donna, we have tickets for July---can't wait! Trying to decide on one week of the two elsewhere like Dominica---Calibishie Lodge on www.Dominica.dm looks very good. Tell me what you think of Calibishie and Dominica!