Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Jalousie Hilton (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/jalousie-hilton-217404/)

Bob Dec 24th, 2001 07:43 PM

Jalousie Hilton

Thinking of going to St Lucia ( and staying at Jalousie Hilton)Dec 2002. Any comments?

Vita Dec 25th, 2001 10:07 AM

I have heard it is beautiful... righht inbetween teh volcano....<BR><BR>I am looking to visit st. lucia in feb but am now considering St. Lucia Gold Resort and Spa (Sandals).I love the all inclusive route.<BR><BR>Oh and I know that Jalouise has a helicoper pad there.. you can take a quick 15-20 minute ride form UVF airport.. which is kinda far... and land right at the resort! I looked into it.. it was $90- pp each way!<BR><BR>Good Luck !

Bob Dec 29th, 2001 08:33 AM

Thanks. We are looking at the Hilton because I have points to use.

jeff Dec 29th, 2001 09:24 AM

Stayed at the Hilton on my honeymoon a few years ago. It was a great place. The rooms are built into the mountains with the pool below. The only negative is that you really need to shuttle to places. It is not as bad as it sounds because when you want to leave, you can either call the main desk or hop a shuttle.<BR><BR>We stayed in one of the many rooms with a plunge pool. If you splurge for this, ask for one which is more private than some others (all are nice). Hanging out in the plunge pool is nice is you have a room which is higher than the others.<BR><BR>One more thing...we did take the helicopter to the airport. We also stayed at Sandals (loved it) which is further away from the airport. Roads are terrible. While the Hilton is somewhat closer to the airport, the helicopter was a great alternative.<BR><BR>Have fun

Kim Dec 29th, 2001 10:50 AM

We were staying at Sandals St.Lucia Golf Resort and decided to visit the Jalousie for Lunch. "What a joke" the food was average and our bill for 6 of us and it was a buffet was $187.00/wo tip and 2 of us only had 1 drink the others had water. The resort itself was very nice but too expensive Ill stick to my Sandals.

freewoman Dec 30th, 2001 10:23 AM

Stayed at the Jalousie Hilton in December '99 because we also had points to use and miles that were going to expire. While the resort is very nice and the villas are quite quaint, I was glad it was a free trip and we did not have to pay for it! St. Lucia was NOT my cup of tea. Take the above posters' advice and take the helicopter from the airport to the Hilton. We rented a car and the roads are practically undriveable!! Especially at night. Spent more money on the car than the copter would have cost. And the Hilton is pretty isolated. The food there is quite expensive (I suspect partly because there are not many restaurants close).<BR><BR>We chose St. Lucia as the destination to use the points and miles because so many posters were so taken away with the place. Just goes to show "different strokes for different folks"!<BR><BR>Would NEVER return to that island.

bob Dec 31st, 2001 06:49 PM

If you had enough points, where would you go?

joe Jan 2nd, 2002 09:54 PM

Just returned from 10th wedding anniversary at Jalousie and loved it. Previous "Carribbean" travel includes only Belize and Jamaica. Setting is out of this world. Helicoptor is a must - great experience. If traveling from airport at Viex Fort a car ride back is not that bad - definitely potholes and curves, but no motion sickness. <BR><BR>The food at the resort is variable. I did not have a bad meal there. We had a wonderful meal at the Plantation House restuarant on the grounds. Breakfast buffet was very good at the veranda. Beach food was good but pricey. The buffet at the Pier was good, but overpriced - most everything everywhere we went on and off the resort was somewhat overpriced. Within easy walking distance of the resort (immediately adjacent to the Pier) was Bang between the Pitons. It was relatively reasonable in price and had a great pumpkin soup, wonderful fish cakes, and a very flavorful jerk chicken. Other restuarants in the area are easily accessible by taxi either land or water taxi. For my wife and I this was part of the fun. We took a water taxi to Anse Chastenet for lunch which was pretty good (stay away from the veggie tortilla dish). We took a taxi up to Ladera and the food and view were outstanding. Going here is a must. Also went to the Hummingbird in Souferie and enjoyed it (nice atmosphere).<BR><BR>The resort facilities and staff were great. We were thouroughly pleased. The beach is good, but not sugar white. The native beaches in this area of St. Lucia are volcanic black (as at <BR>Anse Chastenet)so the Hilton imported sand from Guyana;it is nice. There is little surf. There is snorkeling (better at Anse Chastene). If you want vast expanses of white sand for long beach strolls this place is not for you. If you are content to lie on the beach and look at gorgeous scenery or are adventerous enough to leave the resort and explore the island this is a great place. Many seasoned travellers to St. Bart's, etc. were here and were very happy. There are complete spa facilities and exercise equipment if that is your thing. This place was expensive so if you are going to worry about what you are spending all the time you might want to consider another resort. Since this was a 10th anniversary trip I did not mind the splurge.<BR><BR>Another resort in the area that is very nice is Ladera (resturant mentioned above). It has open aired rooms and a wonderful view, but you must shuttle down to the Jalousie beach (the shuttles at Jalousie were no problem and if you are in villas in the 100s or 200s not mandatory.). If I were to go to St. Lucia I would stay in the south near the Pitons - otherwise why travel all the way to St. Lucia? <BR><BR>The people of St. Lucia were very friendly as a rule and we felt safe throughout our stay. I would definitely consider going back and would even consider taking the kids. I might throw in a night or two at Ladera just for the whole open air experience.

a Jan 9th, 2002 11:44 AM

jalousie is a beautiful resort. very secluded . rooms are elegant (i recommend getting a villa with the plunge pool, it's very nice and romantic) . oh and this place is very hilly so it's quite a tiring hike to any place, but there are vans coming around the clock to pick up/drop off at any point w/i the resort.<BR>one thing i don't like about jalousie is that everything is expensive and the food is mediorce.