Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Islands like Turks and Caicos (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/islands-like-turks-and-caicos-974857/)

lovendove Apr 18th, 2013 12:38 PM

Islands like Turks and Caicos

Hello,

I recently had the best vacation in Turks. Just got back last Friday and I'm having the worst vacation withdrawal ever. I literally fell in love with the island. The weather was perfect ( no humidity, clear skies, sunny, trade winds) the water was perfect ( perfectly chilled to cool you off but not too cold to keep you out, super buoyant to swim and snorkel) the sand was pristine soft white almost pink. The island wasn't crowded and had a very laid back atmosphere.

I'm looking for islands similar to visit and I've been searching without finding many other options. I've been to Bermuda, Aruba , Curaçao, & Nassau Bahamas.

Would really appreciate some assistance in finding islands similar to Turks and Caicos. I'm looking mainly to have alternatives to visit and prepare for owning in the future as a vacation home.

Thanks in advance.

lovendove Apr 18th, 2013 12:39 PM

Oh. I want to add the beautiful clear blue turquoise water is a most. Thanks!!!

KVR Apr 18th, 2013 02:09 PM

Anguilla, the out Islands of the Bahamas, Grand Cayman.

RoamsAround Apr 18th, 2013 02:14 PM

Many of the Bahamas Out-Islands are similar in topography, vegetation and bare a striking resemblance to the Turks & Caicos. Look at Eleuthera, Long Island, Cat Island, the Exumas, Abaco and Andros Island. Keep in mind that that these islands are fairly far north and can be cool in winter so that may affect how you view them as potential locations for your future vacation home.

Further south in the Caribbean Anguilla, Barbuda and Anegada are similar topographically and vegetation wise to the T&C's and are in great locations for a year round vacation homes. Barbuda & Anegada are sparsely populated islands so factor that into your equation when considering them for a vacation home.

The only other islands similar to the T&C's are Aruba, Bonaire & Curacao and you've been to two of those.

All other islands in the Caribbean are either hilly or very mountainous and have lush dense dry and/or rain forests so they can't be considered "similar" to the T&C's although many will have wonderful beaches and multi-hued blue and turquoise waters.

RoamsAround Apr 18th, 2013 02:19 PM

One more point, if you are planning to purchase a vacation home on any of the islands mentioned above make sure you fully investigate and understand the laws for purchasing/owning property and taking up residence on the islands you are considering.

blamona Apr 18th, 2013 04:19 PM

While other islands can be similar, investing in them is not.

So I personally recommend you invest in TCI!

I've been to 80% of the islands in Caribbean, including Bahama Out Islands.

TCI has no real estate taxes, no rental taxes, no property taxes, etc

It's easy to get to, popular to invest, has excellent restaurants, and always seems sunny!

I love Anguilla and some of the Out Islands, love the Virgins.

Visit because you want to see it all, but you'll come back to invest in TCI. Best all around retirement place for many reasons.

If you need names of good realtors and/or builders, I'd be happy to help. I've been through every place tocstay, ate everywhere, wrote the book! ;-)

lovendove Apr 18th, 2013 09:50 PM

Thanks so much for the advice! I love your comment about visit to see it all etc. I love to travel and like I said, never ever got attached like I did with TCI. We circled the island before we landed and I knew it was going to be a good trip, when the door of the plane opened and I felt the wind/weather/sun I said to myself "this feels like home". I can't explain it. Instant love.

Yes please inbox me any and all information.

Currently researching purchasing land on North or Middle Caicos vs. Provo. Any input on that?!

Thanks again:)

nav0413 Apr 18th, 2013 11:26 PM

Having fun with the beautiful island like this.