Search

Which Sandals resort??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2003, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Sandals resort??

Hi, my fiance and I have decided to go to a Sandals resort because it's all-inclusive and catered towards honeymooners and couples, despite hearing mixed reviews about it. Has anyone been to Sandals St. Lucia, Sandals Dunn River, or Sandals Antigua and recommend one over the other? We're trying to decire between these three and would like to know about the beaches (during September!), which rooms are good, and which to stay away from for peace and comfort. Many thanks for any advice and suggestions!!!
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 10:38 AM

We honeymooned at Sandals Antigua and really enjoyed it. It had a really laid back and romantic feel to it. The grounds are very lush/tropical and well kept. The beach is large and beautiful. They offer plenty to do with land/watersports and nightly entertainment. The food was good although nothing spectacular (lets just say you don't go to an All-inclusive for the food). The service was good although the staff is not overly friendly. Not rude, but not overly friendly.<BR><BR>As far as Sandals St. Lucia and Dunns River, it all depends on what you are looking for. St. Lucia is a beautiful island, although not known for its beaches. If a great beach is a must, I wouldn't recommend St. Lucia. I have read mixed reviews on Dunn's River, but if you're going in September you are chancing a hurricane/tropical storm if in Jamaica. <BR><BR>If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Congrats!
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 12:42 PM

My cousin just had their honeymoon @ Sandals Antigua and they said the property was really run down.<BR><BR>I'd go for St. Lucia.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 02:21 PM

Go to Antigua. We have done four of the Sandals and discovered thast this is the best one. We stayed in an ocean front and fell asleep evry night with the sound of the waves lapping up on shore. Sheer bliss! Dickenson Beach is the nicest beach on Antigua.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:11 AM

My experience was at Dunns River. The rooms are ok, if not a little outdated and &quot;musty&quot;. THe property is layed out nicely, we stayed at a room that was away from main building, quiet and only two floors. The beach is small and when you go to beach the locals will yell at you (from the fence). They want you to buy something at makeshift stands next to property. And yes you can buy just about anything! Kind of annoying. The pools are the best thing imo about Dunns River. Big and nice waterfall/swim up bars. They have a &quot;pitch and putt&quot; golf course. It was run down with overgrowth and debris when we went. The food was slightly above average. The best time we had was the free excursion to Dunns River Falls and going to Sandals Ocho Rios; beautiful property with great restaurants. (On certain nights you can eat on the beach-very romantic). My suggestion is to book reservations EARLY and with all they offer at these properties remember that alot of people want to do it too. For example, when I wanted to go water skiing the wait was long and the ski ride was short. Scuba books up early, etc. Have fun wherever you go, Sandals to me is kinda &quot;cheesy&quot; but can be alot of fun.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:35 PM

WE really enjoyed Sandals Antgiua - the grounds aer very lush and tropical, roamtnic atmosphere, tons to do or no pressure and do nothing, nice long beach - much larger then St. Lucia and Dunn's. Loved how most restuarants are near the water. Most room here aer in the gardens - very few true beachfront rooms which is finein that the gardens are so peaceful and pretty. Best room we felt is concierger oom on the bluffs - views from second floor is incredible. Under concierge, all rooms are pretty much the same.<BR><BR>We visited Dunn's a few times while staying at Sadnals Ocho and we really did not care for it. We have been to many sadnals and this is one we would not pay to go to. The buildings are nice - cool design and the pools are huge but everything during the day takes place in that pool area thus all the people are there as well - not place to really get awy from it all which we did not like. It is a more up beat property then Antigua - everyone seemed to partake in the contests and games. There is also tons of decking which we hated - did not go to the Caribbean to see that. Beaches is small but nice. Food is good and the people of Jamaica are great - very firendly and accomondating.<BR><BR>Have not been to Sadnals St. Lucia (have ben to Halcyon) but from what I have heard, people either love it or hate it for its size. Thos that love it say it has a very grand feel, always tons to do, tons of choices for dining and the food is great. Thos that hate it say it is way too big and does nothave that intimate feel. Beach there is poor too - it is a man made cove and water can be very rough - most go over to theother Sandals for water sports as it is much calmer there.<BR><BR>Penney