Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Island Pronunciation (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/island-pronunciation-604047/)

VegasM Mar 31st, 2006 10:11 AM

Island Pronunciation

How does one pronounce "Anguilla" and "Curacao"?

A_Traveller Mar 31st, 2006 10:27 AM

An-gwill-a

Kur-a-sow (that's sow as in female pig).

blamona Mar 31st, 2006 10:35 AM

Anguilla rymthes with "vanilla"

lovethecape Mar 31st, 2006 11:13 AM

I also have a question. How do you pronounce Nevis?

NancyfromCanada Mar 31st, 2006 11:21 AM

Nee-vis

lovethecape Apr 11th, 2006 08:20 PM

Thank you Nancy. I didn't realize there was a response!

Lmaev Apr 12th, 2006 11:11 AM

How about Canouan?

curiousx Apr 12th, 2006 11:24 AM

CA NOO ON with the accent on the first syllable (i.e. not pronounced like the little boat!). There are acceptable variations, however within the Grenadines. CAN WAN, for example, is very common as well, especially on the main island of St. Vincent.

Bequia is pronounced both BECK WAY and BECK WEE but never BECK WAY AH !

curiousx Apr 12th, 2006 11:40 AM

And then there's both CARRY A COO and CARRY COO for Carriacou though I find the first one more common.

VegasM Apr 12th, 2006 11:49 AM

This is fun!! Let's do more!!

TomCayman Apr 12th, 2006 12:20 PM

Cayman is KAY-MAHN

Also, it is the Cayman Islands, not "the Caymans", or else the country as a whole is referred to by locals as just simply "Cayman"

skbfan Apr 12th, 2006 04:18 PM

How do you pronounce Statia?

Diana Apr 13th, 2006 04:35 AM

Statia - Stay-shuh

Antigua - An-tee-guh (not An-tee-gwah)

St Lucia - St Loo-shuh (not St Loo-chee-uh as I pronounced it when we went there for the first time in 1992 :-] )

curious, after having been thoroughly hooked on Carry-a-cou in October, (thanks for the tips btw) we return next week.

Hopefully, we will not burn our passports gleefully on the beach in front of Hardwood after one too many Jack Iron's and begin selling t-shirts and braiding hair from our palm frond lean-to on Paradise Beach. B-)

ejcrowe Apr 13th, 2006 04:55 AM

Okay, so it's not an island. But I've been reading about Hairoun beer during my research for upcoming trip. How do you say it?

Tom, I just realized that I've never once pronounced Cayman the proper way. I admit I'm not likely to change the way I prounounce it, but it is good to know for future reference.

Diana, I hope you have a super trip. So you're doing Grenada & Carriacou this trip? Anyplace else? Knowing you, I guess you don't have any accommodations lined up yet. Brave woman!

Statia Apr 13th, 2006 05:41 AM

Here's another one I hear mis-pronounced a lot.

Saba = Say-buh, not Saw-buh. :)

curiousx Apr 13th, 2006 06:51 AM

ej - it's obviously essential to be able to order Hairoun! HI ROON

Another local beer is called Eku pronounced ECK OOO with the accent on the first syllable. It is slightly more 'European' and drier than Hairoun

Both are made on St. Vincent and excellent though I prefer Hairoun.

Bon Voyage Diana. An update on the operations at Paradise Inn on Paradise Beach would be great - how was it in October and who is running the place ?

xkenx Apr 13th, 2006 07:21 AM

And the capital of St.Thomas, Charlotte Amalie is Charlotte A MAHL' YA

joan Apr 13th, 2006 07:30 AM

Oooh, I didn't know about the "amahl ya" in Charlotte Amalie.

And since we're drinking, we'd better eat too. PLEASE PLEASE I beg you:D. Pronounce "conch" as "conK"!!!! (I sell it in my restaurant and it pains me to hear this with the "ch" - and politely refrain from correcting)

iw Apr 13th, 2006 08:46 AM

I tried to tell my travel agent that it is Knee-vis, but he's not convinced! LOL
joan, I also cringe when I hear conch instead of conk! We just had the best conch chowder and conch fritters in Corolla, NC a couple of weeks ago. YUM!

JAGIRL Apr 13th, 2006 09:11 AM

Another one : Barbados. It's not pronounced barbadoes (as in doe a female deer!). It's Barbadus as in a very short "o".