Island ideas for 62 year old traveling alone...

Aug 30th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Island ideas for 62 year old traveling alone...

Husband goes on annual hunting trip the week after Thanksgiving every year. I am looking to go somewhere warm - on a beach to walk, read, chill while he is in the cold Pennsylvania forest with his buddies. I will be traveling alone from DC area. Need some ideas as to resorts that are not just couples resorts. Budget of $3000. Thanks.
Aug 30th, 2010, 10:34 AM

I assume from your screenname you have a son or daughter in the military. Thank them please for their service.

I am your age and every year right after Thanksgiving I take a week on my one in Bermuda. I love going then. I have the beaches to myself and there are fewer crowds. Air service from your area is pretty good and the flight is short. Hotels are generally much slower. The Goodwill Golf Tournament can book a few rooms, but there are plenty left for the rest of us.
Some hotels you might want to check out on www.bermudatourism.com are:
Watercolours Bed and Breakfast
Fourways
Rosedon
Rosemont
apartment rentals on www.bermudarentals.com
Clairfont Apartments
Coco Reef

Call the properties direct for best deals. If none of those suggestions seem appropriate, let me know. I will try to suggest some other options you might like.
Aug 30th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Our son was Army, Infantry, 101st, company armorer. Deployed to Ramadi, Iraq for one year he returned safely and was about to leave the military after a 4 year stint when he was "stop-lossed" - sent to Afghanistan for another year. Happy to report he is finally out of the military, doing pretty well considering stuff he experienced and is pursuing his degree. Thank you for thanking me. We will always support the troops and remember friends of our son who made the ultimate sacrifice.

I will definitely check out your suggestions about Bermuda. I did not think of it initially... was there on a cruise years ago (discovered I am not a cruise person!).
Aug 30th, 2010, 01:19 PM

i've been to provo in turks & caicos twice in nov. the weather was great & the water wonderful. you can fly in 5 hrs thru charlotte and lots of resorts in your price range. almost all provo resorts are directly on gorgeous grace bay beach with most rooms condo style so you can have some meals in your room if you wish - like morning coffee or cocktail on your deck lots of very good restaurants. it's a pretty safe place to vacation too.
and thanks to your son from me too.
Aug 30th, 2010, 03:47 PM

I am glad your son has completed his service and is working on his degree. It is a blessing to our nation that good people are willing to serve.

Whereever you go, I hope it will be a good trip for you. I love traveling solo!
Aug 30th, 2010, 05:00 PM

What about Curacao? The Hyatt is brand new and very nice.
www.curacao.com www.curacao.hyatt.com
Aug 31st, 2010, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Looked at Aruba and Curacao...no non-stop flights from Baltimore or D.C.? What am I doing wrong? The flights I see are really long layovers? Help.
Aug 31st, 2010, 06:55 AM

On flights for Aruba, while there are no no-stops from DC, you can get out at 6 am, change planes in Miami and be on the island by 2 pm. That's not bad. Most Caribbean flights have changes of planes involved (unless you live in NYC or Miami).
Aug 31st, 2010, 07:01 AM

Check into USAirways. On certain days of the week they have nonstop flights from DC (IAD) to Aruba and back.
Aug 31st, 2010, 09:40 AM

i might suggest back up in your planning, rather than picking an island first, find out where (if anywhere) you can get to on a nonstop flight out of DC.
Aug 31st, 2010, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Just found a non-stop flight from Dulles to Aruba leaving the Saturday after Thanksgiving....just over $500. Returning one non-stop available the following Saturday. That is perfect. Now need a hotel that suits me in Aruba. Want to be able to walk everywhere if that is possible. Love a beautiful beach. Like being outside in general, window shopping, decent food.
Aug 31st, 2010, 04:37 PM

I always suggest Grenada for women travelling alone to the Caribbean. Not that there is anything wrong with other islands in fact some others are my faves as well - but I know many women who HAVE travelled alone to Grenada safely with rave reviews about being a woman alone....and I was struck by what a safe and beautiful island it is when I was there with my two little children (ok one was a newborn) last Jan. And we all know how little people make you super sensitve to safety issues.