Island Honeymoon for not an island person

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All. I'm struggling to find a honeymoon destination. My fiancee are slightly incompatible when it comes to vacations. I spent 30 days in New Zealand hiking, horseback riding and hostel hopping. It was a dream vacation. He wants to do either a cruise or a carribean island. I'd love to find a perfect compromise by finding an island where there are lots of land based activities as I am too fidgity to sit on a beach. The cruises seems like a good idea because each island can offer something different. However, I hate the thought of being confined on a big boat and being at the mercy of the itinerary. We'd like to keep our budget around $5000 for the week. Less is better, but I'm planning on this being my only honeymoon! Any ideas for an island that has a variety of activities? Oh, the wedding is in mid-April of 07. Thanks and have a great day!
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 03:37 PM

Barbados is an incredibly varied island. At laeast some of everything the islands have to offer except gambling and a volcano. Hiking, horseback riding, cave, gardens, plantation houses, rum factory, nitelife, restaurants.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 03:51 PM

You might consider Saba.

www.sabatourism.com

It's in the Caribbean, but there isn't a beach on the island. Lots of hiking and diving activities, though, and it's very eco-friendly. It's a very unique island, but bear in mind that it might not have quite enough to keep you busy for a whole week. Check it out and see what you think.

Happy planning and congrats on the upcoming nuptials.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 04:44 PM

What about Costa Rica? Or Belize? You can be very active in Hawaii...
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 06:15 PM

Kiwi, as has already been mentioned, Costa Rica would be my choice. Zip-lining through the rainforest, hiking an active volcano, Costa Rica has it all. Even driving there is an adventure. There are some fabulous places to stay and the cost is low, compared to Hawaii or St. Barts for example. Here are some of my favorite links:
http://www.arenal.net/
http://www.monteverdetours.com/tours...nopy_tours.htm
http://www.sicomono.com/
http://www.hotelvillacaletas.com/newsite/ingles.php

Congratulations and good luck on finding the perfect spot for both of you!
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 08:24 AM

Costa Rica or Belize would be ideal for your interests, and either would fit in your budget. I'd recommend splitting your time between and inland resort and a beach resort, which is easy in both countries. Costa Rica has some amazing places. One really unique choice is the Corcovado Lodge Tent Camp (see the review on this site). But you can spend some time in a cloud forest, some time at the beach, and you can even go white-water rafting in Costa Rica.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your great responses. I'm looking forward to checking them out. I have heard Costa Rica was beautiful so I'll definitely look into that. Thanks All!
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Would go for the best of both worlds --lazing and exploring ( and certainly not a cruise since your
actual on-island time is generally less than 8 hours, after tendering or
getting off. Get a cheap flight into
Cancun;rent a car (and a guide/driver
if you wish, since it's a honeymoon).
Head for a couple of nights at Maroma or Ikal del Mar, posh boutique hotels
with lots of spa services, privacy,
powder beaches about 30 min. drive south
of Cancun. Daytrip it to snorkel the cenotes and inland lagoons at Xel-Ha
and hike through the bush at Coba to a series of temples, some still with the original polychrome and soot and cepal
smell on the interior walls, with stellae littered throughout the walk.
Head inland and, by advance planning,
schedule yourself for stays of 1 or 2
nights at a number of 18th/19th cen.
haciendas, luxe, upmarket Colonial Mexico that stretch all the way to Merida.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 05:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Funny, my first thought was Costa Rica also and as I scrolled down the responses, many others had the same idea.
I also agree that Hawaii would be a fun destination with a city and volcanoes and several islands to hop around too. We just went this past spring to Oahu and the Big Island and loved both.
Watch mid-april because Easter is April 8th this year and many kids will be out of school vacationing that week. The prices will be higher and the hotels fuller.
Congrats!
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 05:37 AM

I investigated Costa Rica for our honeymoon but could not find exactly what I wanted in terms of a resort. I want luxury, beach, great fitness and spa and no kids. I am also not willing to drive 5 hours from the airport so I gave up.

Personally, I like the upper end AIs in Jamaica - Grand Lido comes to mind - because I get everything I want. Great rooms, very good food, great beach, and LOTS of activities, all included. I hit the gym in the early morning, head to the beach and do watersports, catch an early afternoon water aerobics class or late afternoon yoga, have a massage, nap then dinner and dancing. I take tennis lessons, golf lessons, and try something new each time; because it is AI, I can keep at my budget.

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 11:41 AM

It seems to me that a woman who spent a month hiking and hostel hopping would be very unhappy in an all-inclusive resort.

I do think Central America would be a better choice for her than many islands in the Caribbean. Although we didn't have any trouble filling a week on Grenada and St. Kitts/Nevis.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 05:22 AM

I'd add (for the sake of kfusto and people who are searching for a "luxury" beach experience in Costa Rica) that's not what you go to the country for. There are now some luxurious resorts in both Costa Rica and Belize, but I've known several people who went to Costa Rica looking for a luxury beach resort from which they could make a couple of interesting day-trips to "see the sights," and they are always disappointed. You go to Costa Rica for the experience of a widely varying natural environment and great eco-tourism opportunities, not really to relax at an upscale resort.