Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   island for adventure (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/island-for-adventure-308033/)

NurseSally Feb 19th, 2008 10:22 PM

island for adventure

Hello all,
I am traveling with my kids, 19, 21 and 23 years old. We usually travel in Mexico - we love rustic settings, non-touristy places, exploring out of the way places. We also love boogie boarding. We would like to try a Carribean island or possible Belize. Any islands that you would suggest? We are also trying to be careful of expenses. Thanks so much.

doug_stallings Feb 20th, 2008 05:18 AM

I'd actually recommend Dominica as an adventurous island that's also cheap (though sometimes expensive to get to). I can't speak to boogie-boarding, but the beaches aren't very good, though the snorkeling and diving can be tremendously good.

There are plenty of activities on St. John or in the BVI to keep you occupied. You could save a bit of money by booking a cottage at Guavaberry Spring Bay on Virgin Gorda.

Belize can also be a great destination for young adults and families, so that definitely gets my recommendation. Belize also gets a nod because it's cheaper to get to than Dominican in most cases (and you want to say on one of the cayes ... or split your time between a land-based resort in the rainforest and a simple resort on one of the cayes).

Costa Rica is also a natural choice that's reasonably priced.

bellaboo Feb 20th, 2008 06:10 AM

Panama!!

virginia Feb 20th, 2008 06:51 AM

you can boogie board on the north shore of tortola,bvi. but, tortola is not really rustic or out of the way.
also on barbados on rockley (by the accara beach hotel), enterprise or paynes bay beach. again not rustic.
the north coast of dominican republic at Cabarete bay.
my best suggestion for you is the west coast of costa rica. not a typical tourist destination - yet, lots of adventure things like volcano or zip lines in country. surfers have been headed there for years.

SarahRae0807 Feb 20th, 2008 07:53 AM

Check out Jaguar Reef in Belize, my bf and I stayed there 2 yrs ago for an adventurous vacation, it was great! We went snorkeling 2xs, tubing through caves, waterfall/rainforest's hike, and kayaking. It was very affordable there!

blamona Feb 20th, 2008 09:17 AM

I second Costa Rica-
Zip-lines, hiking, going through cloud forests and jungles searching for monkeys and other animals-and check out Jaca area for boogie boarding and one of the best places in the world for surfing. There are beaches in the Manuel Antonio area, and volcanos where you can split your trip with. Rustic settings, and non-touristly places-sounds like it was made for you!

vinceygirl Feb 20th, 2008 12:24 PM

St. Vincent and the Grenadines has all you requested. Reasonably priced, basic clean and neat accommodations to be had. Greatest expense is getting there.

www.svgtourism.com
www.insandoutssvg.com
www.caribbeantravelforums.com

If interested feel free to post any questions. Good luck in your search.

NurseSally Feb 22nd, 2008 09:24 PM

Thanks so much for your help. I'm going to look into your suggestions!