Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Isla Verde Puerto Rico what are the best places to stay? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/isla-verde-puerto-rico-what-are-the-best-places-to-stay-150067/)

Shelley Jan 28th, 2002 05:46 PM

Isla Verde Puerto Rico what are the best places to stay?

We are interested in the Intercontinental (prev the Sands Hotel) We would appreciate any comments on this hotel or any other hotels in the Isla Verde area. Thank you!

rqf Jan 28th, 2002 06:15 PM

Stayed there three years ago when it was the Grand San Juan. Nice hotel and would stay there again. The Wyndham El San Juan, next door to the Intercontinental, and the Ritz Carlton, about 1/2 mile away are a step above, in my opinion, and if the differnce in price is not that much I would stay in either the Ritz or El San Juan.If there was a big difference in price I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Intercontinental. There is an Embassy Suites in Isla Verde but it is nowhere near the beach. Pool area is nicer at the El San Juan but they both share the same beach. If you decide on a hotel in Isla Verde recommendtions as to restaurants can be made;

Shelley Jan 28th, 2002 06:43 PM

RQF,<BR>Thank you for your information. Yes, we would be interested in your restaurant suggestions.

rqf Jan 29th, 2002 05:14 AM

For Puerto Rican food - Ajili Mojili, one of the best, in the Condado. Would require a taxi (about $8) each way. Less expensive and just as good is Mi Casita - across the street from the Intercontinental in a strip mall opposite a Church's Chicken<BR>For Cuban food - Metropole - about 1/4 of a mile from the Intercontinental. Exit hotel and walk to the left past the El San Juan.<BR>Mexican restaurant in the El San Juan is reasonably priced and good<BR>For steak - Ruth Chris in the Intercontinental or the Palm in the El San Juan. Same prices but I prefer Ruth Chris. Always busy and not as expensive is the Outback in the Embassy Suites. Not the best but good enough.<BR>Breakfast is the one meal that bothers me. The continental breakfast at the Intercontinental is $11.50; a full breakfast (buffet) is $16.50. Prices are similar at the El San Juan and the Ritz. Breakfast at Mi Casita, mentioned above is $2.99 - eggs, bacon, ham or sausage, potatoes, toast and coffee.

Jim Jan 29th, 2002 07:49 AM

RQF,<BR>I see you've made a number of postings re: Puerto Rico and seem to know the palce very well. We're going to the Westin Rio Mar in 6 weeks and I've read a lot about the hotel on this forum. Can you tell me about the area near the hotel, what there might be to do or see? We're definitely going to El Yunque, although I'm not sure what part of the Park we'll be near. Any advice appreciated.<BR>Jim

RQF Jan 29th, 2002 12:59 PM

The Westin is between 15 and 20 miles east of the Airport. El Yunque is due south of the hotel and it is a 10 mile or so drive. There is nothing in the immediate area of the hotel. Luquillo Beach is about five miles east of the hotel. YOu will see raves about this beach - I personally think it is over rated. The town of Fajardo, an oversized fishing village is about 15 miles east of the hotel. The race track El Comandante is less than 15 miles west of the hotel.If you are going to have a rental car and want to take a nice drive go out to the main highway (rt 3) and head west towards San Juan. When you come to highway 187 make a right onto 187. Stay on 187 driving through Loiza Aldea. Cross the bridge continuing on 187. You will drive through a scenic area called Pinones. 187 will bring you right into Isla Verde where the Ritz Carlton and El SAn Juan hotels are located. You oculd stop for lunch at the Metropole or La Casita both of which are on 187. You could return to the hotel on highway 3.

Carib Traveller Jan 31st, 2002 06:54 AM

IMHO the El San Juan is not worth the bucks to stay there. They do have (or did have) an excellent Mexican restaurant on the top floor.

peg Jan 31st, 2002 11:44 AM

I second the recommendation on Mi Casita. We had breakfast and dinner there twice during our two day stay in SJ, prices were downright cheap, and the food was very good overall. We both thought that red meat in PR tasted funny--bacon, steak, etc. We wondered if it was because of what they feed their cattle? Anyway, we didn't like red meat anywhere on PR, but did like Mi Casita. :)<BR>

rqf Jan 31st, 2002 12:06 PM

Peg - most meat in PR is imported. I know not from where. Steaks at Ruth Chris and the Palm are an excellent quality meat.