Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   is you had to pick one? Fish Trap or Lime Inn? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/is-you-had-to-pick-one-fish-trap-or-lime-inn-667933/)

sharonb Jan 7th, 2007 03:46 AM

is you had to pick one? Fish Trap or Lime Inn?

It you only had time for 1, which one would you choose? Thanks!

Kberbones Jan 7th, 2007 07:36 PM

Without question The Lime Inn! The food is awesome, the atmosphere is great! The Fish Trap is ok, but imho, you can get it anywhere.

CaribbeanSoul Jan 7th, 2007 07:52 PM

Lime Inn....easy one.

brenandg Jan 7th, 2007 08:04 PM

Haven't been to The Fish Trap, but the mussels appetizer at The Lime In is the best. They are served in a lemon, garlic cream sauce with fresh baked bread. Yum!! They also have a very nice parsley/shallot salad dressing.

bluefan Jan 8th, 2007 12:10 AM

another vote for Lime Inn

ScottB Jan 8th, 2007 07:13 AM

My wife & I ate at both back in Decemeber, and definitely preferred Lime Inn. We both had grilled Mahi Mahi that was excellent. Service was also very good.

Fish Trap was average at best.

You may want to also consider The Balcony, one of the best meals we had.

sharonb Jan 8th, 2007 07:43 AM

Thanks everyone!! We have our dinners planned for the week and only had 1 left, thanks for making the decision. The only one I heard mixed reviews about it Morgan Mangos but will will give it a try. Thanks again!

sharonb Jan 8th, 2007 07:45 AM

One more question, we were thinking of going to the Monday buffet with the all you can eat lobster at Caneel. It is expensive and was wondering if it is worth the money?

ScottB Jan 8th, 2007 09:10 AM

We did the Caneel buffet, and thought it was fabulous. We paid $69 per person. So yes, a tad pricey. The grilled lobster was very good, prime rib was great, and the raw bar was excellent. Dessert table was just plain dangerous. Not cheap, but not too mnay places have all you eat lobsetr either. Don't eat lunch that day!!

marbleheadguy Jan 8th, 2007 09:48 AM

Fhsitrap has a brand new kitchen, menu with some old favortites and a great new bar.

Lime Inn is Ok but not as good as The Fishtrap now. Fishtrap has all you can eat shrimp now, authentic Thai(GM's wife is Thai) and great seafood. They have a fresh fish market too. Best on island.

Balcony way overpriced for what you get. Morgan's Mango is for sale and old great chefs opened up Rhumb LInes...definately downhill. Poli's added slot machines and has gone downhill with clientele.

YES! Go to caneel! BRand new chef with over 35 years experience...he was there 20 years ago and has returned.

Check out Stone Terrace, Panini, La Tapa. and the new Ocean Grille at Mongoose Junction-great brunch.

You have to catch Sunday Jazz at 4pm at The Beach Bar---it is developing a reputation for having world class vacationing jazz artisits showing up and jamming.

sharonb Jan 8th, 2007 11:31 AM

Scott,

Was it all you can eat lobster? Also, did you need reservations? Thanks so much!

sharonb Jan 8th, 2007 11:32 AM

Marblehead Guy,

Morgans Mangos and Rhumlines are on our list. Why is Morgans for sale and why is Rhumlines going downhill? thanks!

ScottB Jan 8th, 2007 12:38 PM

Sharon,

Yes, you could go up as many times as you wanted, and continue getting lobster after lobster....heaven!! Keep in mind the guy grilling the lobsters was by far the busiest. Longest I had to wait for one was maybe 3 minutes.

Definitely make reservations.

sharonb Jan 8th, 2007 03:39 PM

Scott,

Sorry to beat a dead horse on this one, but if you don't like the raw bar or much of any other kind of seafood (we like lobster, shrimp and salmon) is it still worth it? I mean are there a lot of other choices? Thanks so much, I really do appreciate it!

ScottB Jan 9th, 2007 07:31 AM

Sharon,

There is quite a variety no matter which table you are picking from.

The raw bar had: Shrimp coctail, Alaskan King Crab legs, Stone crab claws, and some oysters (which we don't touch),so plenty to pick from.

The salad area had a lot of choices, including pasta salads to cheese & crackers, to regular green salads, rolls/breads, etc.

The hot food line included:
Veal Osso Bucco, scalloped potatoes (best ever), Duck L'Orange, chicken somthing, prime rib (awesome), Grilled Lobster, SwordfishSnapper, pasta station, and probably tons more that I'm forgetting. Not sure if they had Salmon, but I'd be surprised if they didn't.

The dessert table was extensive, trust me on this one.

It was a wonderful buffet, no doubt. Was it worth $140 for two? Only you can be the judge of that. Would I go back?....Yes.

ScottB Jan 9th, 2007 07:33 AM

My apologies for all the mis-spellings and lost puncuation...typing too fast!!

sharonb Jan 9th, 2007 09:56 AM

Scott,

Thanks so much, it sounds like it will have something for us even if we are not huge fish lovers!! Thanks you made our decision for us!! Thanks for taking the time to go into detail, I appreciate it!

tamryn Jan 9th, 2007 10:05 AM

Wonderful details that I want to save for our March trip! thanks so much...

MIM04 Jan 9th, 2007 10:34 AM

Between those, Lime Inn.

christiegr Jan 9th, 2007 03:50 PM

I am the only one who feels differently about the Lime Inn.My family had dinner at the Lime Inn and thought that it was just O.K. I had grilled Lopster and it was pretty bland to me.

We never tried the Fish Trap but have heard that it is good.

Places that we enjoyed are Compass Rose,Sundog Cafe,La Tapa,The Balcony,Senorita's pizza,The Beach Bar,Sosa's(I think that's the name,it's beside Conrad's car rentals),Margarita Phil's,and JJ Texas Coast.

Next time we will try Fish Trap,Zozo's,Asolare,Ten Tables,Stone Terrace and Rhumb lines.

Have a nice trip!:)

Christie