Is Tortola worth a day trip from St. John?

Jul 15th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Is Tortola worth a day trip from St. John?

We are staying at the Westin in January and am getting down to the nitty gritty of planning. We want to take a day trip to St. Thomas and were thinking of taking a day trip to Tortola. Is it worth the hassle? We are not huge snorkelers and will be doing snorkeling on St. John, so is there enough to see there outside of snorkeling. If so, any suggestions on how to get there and what to do once we get there? thanks!
Jul 15th, 2006, 02:20 PM

I think you would be better off with a day trip to Jost Van Dyke. You would have to rent a car on Tortola, and the beaches are more spread out. At JVD, there is Foxy's and White Bay with Soggy Dollar Bar, One Love, Ivan's, there are a lot of boats that do day trips there, plus a ferry several times a week.
Are you going to STT for a shopping trip? Because otherwise, I would not spend precious St. John time in STT!
If you end up on Tortola, we loved spending time in Soper's Hole having painkillers at Pussers and watching the boats come and go. Also Cane Garden Bay, Bomba's Shack.
Have fun, you will love STJ
Jul 15th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

We were just going to STT to do some shopping and wanted to see the new Marriott (we own a Marriott Vacation Club), but we werent sure if even that is a good idea because of travel. (renting a car ect). Tell me about Jost Van Dyke. My husband gets sick on a rocking chair so the only boating he can handle is the one getting us to BVI and we do not drink. (we sound like a blast I am sure) but we love beaches and exploring.Would we be able to do everything by foot or would we need a taxi once we get there? Thanks!
Jul 16th, 2006, 02:27 AM

Marriott has a water taxi service between the Charlotte Amalie waterfront shopping area and Frenchman's Reef which is adjacentt to Marriott's Vacation facility, I believe roundtrip is $10/person. Also Westin has watershuttle service between the hotel and approximately the same location at harlotte Amalie. Your concierge could help you in coordinating time schedules. The shopping area is all within walking distance of the wattershuttle drop off points. This would allow you to view the Marriott facility, have lunch frenchman's Reef, Sunset grill Has a 'to die for' view), and do shopping.
Hope this helps.
Jul 16th, 2006, 03:01 AM

I guess I would have tosay that JVD is a party destination. There is Great Harbor with Foxy;s and a few little shops, everyone is barefoot!
White Bay is a beautiful long beach with a series of bars along it.
You can hike from Great Harbor to White Bay (we did) but it is up a steep hill and hot! There are also Taxis available.
Places are more scattered on Tortola, so you would need to research it a little, choose a spot and taxi there for the day. I my opinion, You will be better off to stay on STJ, You will not see it all in a week!
Jul 16th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Dianebridles,

So renting a car in St. Thomas will not be necessary? Also, is this something we could do in an afternoon or do we need all day?
Jul 16th, 2006, 06:58 AM

Hi sharonb,

I normally shop and have lunch in a half day. I believe that you could expect to add an additional 45 minutes or more to view the property. Last November, Marriot was offering shopping dollars if you attended their presentation. If interested,it might be worth checking it out.
A car would not be necessary and probably inadvisable at the shopping area. Traffic there is a nightmare and parking is extremel;y scarce. The Westin boat will put you in the heart of it. Should you also want to tour the island, youor your concierge can make reservations with the Marriott adventure center. The tour is worth while should you have the time but it would take an additional 1/2 day.
Jul 16th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

dianebridles,

if we are taking a late afternoon flight, do you think we can leave Westin at 10:00 am and do the STT thing on our last day there. Our only problem is the luggage. Do you think they could do anything with the luggage all day the day we fly out so we can walk around then?
Jul 17th, 2006, 04:09 AM

sharonb.

A 10 shuttle will get you to the airport at approximately 11. After check in with your air carrier, you together with your lugggage will have to go through customs. Customs, according to the number of passengers there at the same timne, can be lengthy Westin has a reception room near the carasols. You could ask them if your luggage could be kept there, but because of security, I am uncertain if non-arring passengers are allowed there.
St. Thomas shopping area is crowded, and evem unbelievably more so when cruise ships are in port. I have observed peoplewho were dragging their carry on along and it looked miserable.
Check with Westin. They can give the To try to do both shopping and the marriott before your flight would really be stretching it.best advice.