Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Is there still a quiet spot in the Caribbean or Latin America? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/is-there-still-a-quiet-spot-in-the-caribbean-or-latin-america-748252/)

missDIVAstar Nov 12th, 2007 05:16 PM

Is there still a quiet spot in the Caribbean or Latin America?

Hi All!
Every year my daughter and I take an honorary mother-daughter vacation. We have been doing this for about 10 years now and usually our destinations include some place warm w/in the states (Arizona, Florida) or in the Caribbean. Our most recent trip was to Virgin Gorda and we loved it there because it was quiet, unique and simply beautiful.
This year is a pivotal time for both of us and I would like to go some place in Latin America or the Caribbean that's quiet and affordable and will be special for the both of us. We've been to a lot of the more 'popular' islands but this time around I just want to lay back on a beach or by the pool at a charming destination without paying an arm and a leg! Does this place exist?

I'm really at a loss with coming up w/ ideas -- can anyone help??
The destination must be fit for travel either in January or March and fairly warm. The place must be safe-ish for two women traveling alone. Daughter speaks French and Spanish so we are open to any suggestion!

Please help us!!!!

virginia Nov 12th, 2007 05:43 PM

possibly tobago or bonnaire

beachplum Nov 12th, 2007 09:49 PM

Anguilla? Not lush and green like VG but the water and beaches are stunning. Excellent restaurants and still quiet and peaceful without the rush of many islands.

tivertonhouse Nov 13th, 2007 01:35 AM

Los Roques, off the coast of Venezuela

Callaloo Nov 13th, 2007 03:13 AM

The Out Islands of the Bahamas -- though I'd go in March (or even later) rather than January. Hopetown (Elbow Cay, in the Abacos) or Harbour Island (just north of Eleuthera) offer a combination of charm and beautiful beaches. Relatively easy to reach from the US as well. Hopetown would be less pricey than Briland, though.

TomCayman Nov 13th, 2007 03:35 PM

The Eastern districts of Grand Cayman or Cayman Brac would suit, but again I'd choose March over January for optimum chances of best weather.

Cayman is very safe, and you can certainly find a place to chill out on the beach and by the pool, plus get to meet the warm and friendly local people to whatever extent you wish.

peterboy Nov 14th, 2007 06:20 AM

Isla Culebra, Puerto Rico
Easy to get to and reasonably priced.

Small, safe and very friendly
if a bit rustic.

Flamenco Beach is world class.

Here's some pictures:

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/culebra_05

and here's a website...use the forums for more recent info that I have. We loved it there.

http://www.islaculebra.com/index.htm

SKBFAN1 Nov 14th, 2007 06:46 AM

Nevis would be a wonderful place for you and your daughter. Layed back, breathtaking scenery, friendly locals, botanical gardens, historical sites and so much more.

You can stay at Oaulie Beach Resort or Hurricane Cove (not too expensive)

Visit www.nevisisland.com for more information on this beautiful island. You can also do a day trip to sister island of St. Kitts.

mnag Nov 14th, 2007 11:53 AM

We love VG for the same reasons you do (one of our top 3 islands). I agree with Callaloo that the bahama out islands would be perfect for you and your daughter if you travel in spring or later. Abacos (specifically eblow cay or great guanna cay) would be a good pick or Eleuthera. Very safe places, and very friendly locals. The beaches are excellent and neither place is commercialized.

Brutforce Nov 14th, 2007 12:37 PM

Montserrat or Dominica. Probably the two least spoiled islands in the Caribbean.

Nevisian Nov 14th, 2007 08:34 PM

I second SKBFANs suggestion of Nevis. Try Googling up Golden Rock Inn, Hermitage, Mt. Nevis Resort as well as the two great locations SKBFAN mentioned.

ejcrowe Nov 15th, 2007 03:40 AM

Bequia, an island in the nation of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, could fit the bill perfectly for you. It's small and intimate, it takes a little effort to get there so it's still without crowds, it has a wonderful West Indian flavour, and it definitely has that Caribbean old world feel. It can be pricey to get there--you have to take 2-3 planes and possibly a ferry--but once you're there you can find comfortable guesthouse accommodations well under $100/night in the offseason.

You're a short sail away from the amazing Tobago Cays, which inspire all kinds of shipwrecked, castaway fantasies. And a short ferry ride away from the "mainland" of St. VIncent and its numerous attractions.

mastiff Nov 15th, 2007 03:43 AM

Try Moonrise Villa at Moonhole on Bequia. The website is www.moonhole.com.

vcegelka Nov 15th, 2007 04:48 AM

If you want quiet and affordable, you may want to try to rent where we own a timeshare in Freeport, Bahamas. They are all 2 Br units and if one is available, it usually rents for $100-$150/night depending on the season.
Mayfield Beach & Tennis Club is a small 10-unit condo complex, oceanfront. It has a tennis court, inground pool and you are literally steps to the beautiful beach. There is no bar or restaurant on property, but there is a gas grill, and of course a fully applianced kitchen.
You would need to taxi or rent a car to fully enjoy the island, or just stay put and enjoy the beach and pool.
I would recommend a March stay as we were there once in January, and the Northern Bahamas can get very cool at night, making the ocean a bit too cool to swim in.

MollyM Nov 15th, 2007 06:46 AM

I agree with a few of the posters above: the Bahamas would make an excellent respite for you and your daughter. I just returned from Eleuthera, where I spent four days on the mainland. It was absolutely the best place I’ve ever been for an “escape.” The island is very undeveloped, besides a handful of simple-luxury resorts, so there’s not much more to do than lie on the beach and relax. I’d recommend The Cove in Northern Eleuthera. Suite TVs, phones, and clocks are replaced with fantastic views of unthinkable sunsets and a backyard patio that opens up right on to the secluded beach (which is dotted with hammocks). The hotel’s restaurant is also superb. The resort has snorkel gear, bicycles, and kayaks for complementary use, and the staff is very friendly. Enjoy!

ati2d Nov 15th, 2007 07:15 AM

This is in Spain, so if you & your daughter want a vacation that you will never forget take a look at: http://www.vaughanvillage.com/
"Pueblo Ingles, literally means "English village". We bring English from around to globe to create English speaking villages in the lush Spanish countryside. We pay for your accommodation and your meals so you don't have to worry about expenses once you are under our wing!"

or

http://www.vaughantown.com/english/indexenglish.asp
"VaughanTown is a non-paid, volunteer program where participants exchange conversation for room and board in the heart of the Spanish countryside."

Check it out! I've gone here 4 times with either my husband, son, or friends, and will be going again next year.

These companies provide the lodging and meals and activities for a week. You just have to buy your ticket to Spain and speak English to the Spanish participants for a week.
It is such an awesome experience to meet people from all over the world!

shariej Nov 15th, 2007 11:09 AM

I would suggest Provo TCI....here is a place my adult son & I stayed last Thanksgiving:

Island Club Townhouses

My adult son & I stayed here for a week over Thanksgiving and couldn't have been happier with our choice. True it is not right on the beach but only a couple of blocks away.....right next to Salt Mills and within walking distance of Calico Jack's & Bambooz. We had 2 bdrms, 2 baths, a full kitchen [including micro & blender], washing machine, pool that is not accessible to outsiders, patio & deck.....and to top it off they gave us a cell phone to use. For all of this we paid only $800 and that included all taxes.....it's a great deal!!!!!!

The rate was $900/week during high season but it was a great deal and we really enjoyed it.

StanKase Nov 15th, 2007 11:23 AM

It has been mentioned but maybe not enough. The Bahamas in January can have afternoon high temps of 65-70 and with a breeze I would not think that is beach weather. March gets you to likely 75+ maybe 80 in the most southern Bahamas-T&C. But Saba, Grenadines,Dominica,etc. should be o'k. in Jan. we were in Saba in Feb. several years ago and it was in the high 70's /low 80's.
You can google weather charts but with global warming historical data back 10 years may not be that useful.

reseacher1 Nov 17th, 2007 12:17 PM

You can come and visit Guatemala, which is in Central America, but I guess you new where it was at, right! You should go to La Antigua Guatemala, specially for Holly Week (Easter week), the processions are unbelievable.
The only catch is that you have to start making your hotel reservations now, because hotels usually tend to fill up quick. Or visit all of the great places Guatemala has to offer.

bellaboo Nov 17th, 2007 04:02 PM

We're heading off to Isla Providencia, aka Old Providence Island.

This is a quiet, off the beaten path, little known island of incredible beauty, unique history and culture.....