Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Is there public transport. from St. Thomas airport to town?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If so, is it reliable? And any estimates of the time it takes from the airport to the Charlotte Amalie ferry dock would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:16 PM

Yes - there are LOTS of taxis available at the airport! The rate is about $7 per person for up to 2 people, $6 for 2 or more.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:21 PM

There are busses that come by every so often. Not really worth the wait, as it could take hours!

RL
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

by "public transport" I meant NOT taxis! Although $6 each for 2 people isn't terrible...I think I read on Frommer's or somewhere that it was more like $25 from the airport to the dock, which is why I was hoping for a bus.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 04:19 AM

Personally I don't find that website to contain very accurate information. Try this link:

http://www.stthomasthisweek.com/
Do a search for "taxi" and it will give you more information on transportation options that you want.

As Ronnie says, buses are available, but the reputation for VItran is not very good as far as reliability.

Schultz
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 06:18 AM

They have open-air style "buses" that they call the VITRAN. I don't recall seeing one come up to the terminal at the airport but I would heed RONUSVI. Also, the Charlotte Amalie downtown dock is only about 5-10 minutes from the airport so the $6/pp taxi is probably accurate. If you are going to the Redhook ferry, then it may very well cost about $25/pp as that ride is a good 25 minutes or more depending on traffic. Believe me, it's bad enough to have to go that distance, going on the bus will just about kill ya. The bus stops often for pickup/drop-off, not including the stop and go traffic along the way. You could end up taking well over an hour to go from the airport to Redhook. IMO, you'll be glad you spent the extra money on the taxi.