Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Is there any way to get to staniel cay in the bahamas by boat from Miami--not a private one (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/is-there-any-way-to-get-to-staniel-cay-in-the-bahamas-by-boat-from-miami-not-a-private-one-664222/)

upanishad Dec 13th, 2006 07:56 PM

Is there any way to get to staniel cay in the bahamas by boat from Miami--not a private one

Hi,

Wondering if a ferry exists to Staniel Cay in the bahamas from Miami? If not, what's the cheapest and safest airline to fly (ie: not a prop. plane)?

Thanks!

wantsomesun Dec 14th, 2006 12:55 AM

No sorry there is no ferry that goes there from Miami. Also all the planes into the Bahamas outislands are all prop planes. You can fly into Nassau and take a ferry over to Abaco and Eleuthera and Harbour Island, but out of Miami even the planes into Nassau are prop planes. American was talking about small jets into Nassau, not sure if that has been implemented.

The airlines that fly into the Bahamas are USAir, Continental, American, Delta and JetBlue (out of NY).

You also might check the www.bahamasfastferries.com website for locations of ferries. They have recently increased sailings.

Hope this helps.

wantsomesun Dec 14th, 2006 06:14 AM

The website has changed for the ferries, it is now www.bahamasferries.com

eaf2007 Dec 15th, 2006 04:13 AM

There are 2 basic ways to get to Staniel Cay:

1. Fly Watermakers Air out of the Fort Lauderdale executive airport. Prop plane.

2. Fly to Nassau, and then fly Flamingo Air or a charter to the island. Also a prop plane.

I didn't find ferry service, from either Florida or Nassau. Really, one must accept that in order to access certain parts of the world, flying in a small plane is a must.

upanishad Dec 22nd, 2006 06:47 PM

Thank you all for your responses! I'm thinking about flying into Nassau, but according to eaf2007, there aren't any ferries. Hmm. . . I'll check out the sites but if anyone knows that there are ferries for certain, I would appreciate knowing that. I don't want to accept taking a small prop plane if I can help it since I hate flying as it is. Often, there is another way!
Thanks!

wantsomesun Dec 23rd, 2006 01:57 PM

Right now there is only 1 ferry company operating extensively in the Bahamas and they are adding services as needed.

Check the www.bahamasferries.com site and you also might call and ask for help.

The Bahamas are a chain of almost 700 islands very spread out. Flying from Freeport to Nassau is almost an hour, and flights into Eleuthera from Nassau are only 15 minutes.

You also might check Bahamas Air, they fly into most of the Bahamian Islands on larger planes, 40 seaters, so they are pretty comfortable, even a flight attendant.

Have a great time and enjoy the Bahamas.

HowardC Dec 24th, 2006 06:00 AM

You might consider flying to Great Exuma from Miami on American Eagle. 72 passenger prop planes. From there you would have to charter a boat to go to Staniel Cay. There are mail boats that do sail out of Nassau to the Out Islands and they may stop in Staniel on the way to Great Exuma.