Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Is There A Resort similar to Enchanted Gardens?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I know the "Enchanted Gardens" is closed, but I am wondering if anyone can recommend a similar feeling resort in Ocho Rios... or anywhere in Jamaica really. We loved the seclusion, romance, and quiet luxury of the Enchanted Garden. We do not want a Sandals or Beaches type property.

Thank you in advance if you can help me.

Lisa
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 04:12 AM

Try Moon Dance Villas in Negril Jamaica. My sis-in-law stayed there & loved it. She raved about the place & the quality of service. They paid extra for all inclusive but you don't have to. Go to www.moondancevillas.com to see it.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 05:05 AM

Goldeneye, Orcabessa; Strawberry Hill/Irish Town; Jamaica Inn or a private villa like Villa Kelso might suit you well
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 12:19 PM

How about Mockingbird Hill? I haven't been there but I always thought it was similar to Enchanted Gardens.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Benj - Moondance looks great, but it is out of our price range.

Tivertonhouse - Those are good suggestions, but is there a specific property in Strawberry Hill, or am I missing something? I did a search but it looks like it is a little town, not a resort. I might be reading your post incorrectly.

Cartera45 - That looks so lovely!! We were hoping for an AI, though and Mockingbird is not.

Thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming! It is so hard to find the right place - we want a quiet and romantic AI, not so into party games and nightlife, adults only preferably. Hoping to spend less than $350 per night.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 02:14 PM

Try going to www.talkofthetowntours.com. Soloman & his wife run a tour business in Negril & have been great help to us. They are very honest on the places to stay in Negril & can suggest something since they live there. I know there must be something to fit your needs & wants.
Negril is an amazing place so I hope you find the best spot for your stay.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 02:44 PM

I believe that Jamaica Inn offers an all-inclusive price if you choose to stay and dine that way, though it is not an AI per se. Looks like it would definitely fit your criteria. www.jamaicainn.com They also offer packages on luxurylink that, while not AI packages, may offer enough value for the packages that you would still come out ahead paying for everything else.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 04:42 AM

Tho I think you might be most charmed by Jamaica Inn, Strawberry Hill is equally charming, if not oceanside.
See islandoutpost.com -- it's a collection of individual suites and villas in lush grounds with quite good food, an Aveda Spa, luxe and simplicity. I'm not similarly enchanted by Mockbirdhill and would recommend
a villa on the Blue Lagoon as the best of Port Antonio.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 01:13 PM

If you bid on the Jamaica Inn auction on luxurylink.com, you should be able to fit it within your budget of $350 per night. The package includes breakfast, afternoon tea, dinner and shuttle transfers to/from MBJ. You'll have to pay separately for lunch and beverages but I think it will still be less overall than paying the AI rate.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 09:47 AM

There is not a property that can match up to Enchanted GArdens.

Cartera, I have stayed at Hotel Mocking Bird Hill and it's nothing like Enchanted. HMBH is very quiet though and the restaurant there is great with a great view.

Enchanted Gardens differ because it has so much of "nature" crammed into one space...waterfall, slopes, beautiful botanicals, etc. In it's former life, that property was a public botanical gardens.

Some of the suggestions you have gotten are good ones that will provide you with some of the amenities of EG.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 11:25 AM

Anyone know why Enchanget Gardens closed and if something will be re-opening in its place?
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 11:28 AM

Eddie Seaga owned it/sold it just before last election/under new management but debut yet to be announced.