Is there a "Maui" of the Carribean?

Nov 5th, 2000, 07:18 AM
Susanne

Is there a "Maui" of the Carribean?

Can anyone tell me where is the "Maui" of the Carribean. While beautiful beaches are important, I'm also looking for spectacular scenery with the opportunity for adventure. Aruba was so barren to me. The Hooiburg Hill didn't quite cut it.

And along with the the scenery and the beaches, or course fabulous food would be nice as well. Whether it be in a roadside local eatery or a fancy restaurant. Makes no difference. I'd love your input!

Thanks.

Nov 6th, 2000, 02:46 AM
Arubasun.

Pacific Islands and Caribbean islands are not comparable in terms of scenery. It rains more on the pacific islands and their grounds are much more fertile.

The closest you can come to a Pacific island in the Caribbean would be the island of St. Lucia with its pitons as a landmark of it all. Enjoy St. Lucia.

Nov 6th, 2000, 04:03 AM
Kay

Hi Susanne:

yes, the most exotic and south pasific looking islands in the Caribbean are St. Lucia (my personal favorite as I spent my honeymoon there) and St. John. I would do a search here and type int eh words in the blanks and you will see lots of posts. I especially recommend Ladera on St. Luica as it is VERY romantic.

Kay

Nov 6th, 2000, 06:13 AM
lisa

I went to Maui this year for the first time and went to St. Lucia two years ago. Maui did remind me a great deal of St. Lucia. St. Lucia is much less developed however, which I enjoyed. There is more poverty in St. Lucia as one would expect in a less-developed country. St. Lucia is lush and gorgeous, particularly the area in the southwest around Soufriere (where the Pitons are). I really recommend it. Look into Ladera (www.ladera-resort.com) or Jalousie Hilton (www.jalousie-hilton.com) or Anse Chastanet (www.ansechastanet.com)-- all three are in that area. We stayed at Ladera and it was paradise.

Nov 6th, 2000, 06:49 AM
Barbara

Go to the island of Dominica. it is by far the most spectacular in the island chain,although not as developed with as many fancy hotels as Maui. For sheer beauty it is spectacular. if you are an adventurer or love nature, then Dominica is the place to go.

Nov 6th, 2000, 08:12 AM
Noach

I think that parts of the British Virgins as well as St. Kitts and Nevis are also supposed to have spectacular natural beauty.

Nov 6th, 2000, 08:15 AM
Noach

But I think it will be hard to find the living standard and amenties of Hawai`i in most of the Caribbean.

Nov 6th, 2000, 11:21 AM
ohliz

Lush scenery=East Coast of Jamaica. The Blue Mountians are there, it rains quite a lot, waterfalls around every corner, very lush and green and beautiful.

I agree about St. Lucia though it is a much smaller island than Jamaica so there's somewhat less to explore.
Liz

Nov 6th, 2000, 11:34 PM
Mike

Susanne, the plain fact is, there is NOTHING to compare to Maui (or any other Hawaiian island)in the Caribbean, and I'm afraid you would be quite disappointed after your visit there. However, the two best islands STANDARD OF LIVING wise (and crime-wise) would be St. Barts and Grand Cayman. In a way, St. Barts MIGHT remind you just a bit of Hawaii because of its mountainous topography (beautiful beaches, too), while on the other hand, Grand Cayman, while flat as a pancake, is lushly landscaped, very clean and has incredible 7-Mile Beach to gaze at and walk upon (more beautiful beach than any on Maui)! I also agree with you about Aruba -- would NEVER return there!

Nov 8th, 2000, 04:50 AM
Joe

Grand Cayman lushly landscaped? Its more like brushy landscaped isn't it?

Nov 8th, 2000, 07:17 AM
BillK

The only thing Cayman has going for it is Sting Ray City after that, unless you dive, the island is not very pretty at all. St Barths is the place.

Nov 9th, 2000, 06:28 AM
jbrooks

Some others to consider would be Guadeloupe or Martinique if you enjoy the "French" influence. Guadeloupe's basse-terre island is very lush and pretty with some darker sand beaches, rain forests and waterfalls while most people stay on the grande-terre side with the white caribbean beaches.

I have not been but have heard great things about the islands of St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Grenada. Both are lush with great beaches and unique culture. Just don't expect the standard of living to be comparable to Maui. In the BVI's and Guadeloupe we saw no signs of "poverty" or beggars like what you may see in Mexico, St. Lucia, JAmaica etc.

Good Luck!