Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Is the Ritz in the Cayman Islands EVER going to open? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/is-the-ritz-in-the-cayman-islands-ever-going-to-open-311060/)

LuvCaribbean Apr 26th, 2003 05:49 PM

Is the Ritz in the Cayman Islands EVER going to open?

Hi!

I am planning a trip to the Cayman Islands, and apparently I have some outdated info that said the Ritz was opening in 2002!!

I checked their website, and now it says 2004!! What's the deal there?

Are there ever going to open??

Upon doing further research, I see that there is some controversy over the site.

Does anyone have the REAL information - should I wait to book next year, or forget the Ritz and just book somewhere else.

We have friends that stayed and the Westin and the Hyatt, and both were dissapointed - they said that had found much better resorts in Anguilla and the Bahamas.

If the Ritz isn't really going to open in 2004, should I just choose another island?

I don't want to spend all of my hard earned and long saved money on the trip of a lifetime to be a bit let-down.

Thank you very much in advance for your honest opinions, and much appreciated advice!!

travleis Apr 26th, 2003 09:50 PM

The Ritz was originally supposed to open in the late 1990's. There have been ongoing problems for several years.
I would not bank on it opening in 2004.
And, no, the Hyatt and Westin do not qualify as "trip of a lifetime" resorts by any stretch of the imagination.
If you want a great resort you'll need to look at other islands.

freewoman Apr 27th, 2003 08:20 PM

When I was in Cayman summer before last, I was told by one of the locals that the snafu had to do with some sort of zoning problem. In other words, Government red tape.

my99999 Apr 28th, 2003 04:55 AM

When I was in Grand Cayman this past Christmas, they had finally started on the Ritz condos which are on the beach side of the road. THey had framed about three stories of one side of it. Construction on the main part of the hotel across the road seemed to be in the very very early stages of just getting started, so I would not count on 2004.

LuvCaribbean Apr 30th, 2003 06:18 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone - I think I'll look to other islands!!

:)

EJC May 1st, 2003 02:33 AM

I was in GC in March. They are working around the clock trying to complete this LARGE project.One of the construction guys told me October 2004 seemed to be the magical date. I also talked to a woman who sits on the designated beach in a tent.She's there to answer questions and quote prices.STARTING prices to buy @ the Ritz----$2.1 million

rwilliams May 1st, 2003 09:28 AM

"...STARTING prices to buy @ the Ritz----$2.1 million".

I'll take two, please.

NorthSideSue May 1st, 2003 01:21 PM

You had better hurry as they are 60% sold.